Tuning- what ALL do I need

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Obd1.

Can I just buy a cheap netbook to use? I know alot of them have windows xp.
I have a desktop and don't want to buy a $500+ on a laptop to use for tuning. I gave access to a laptop but would rather get my own.

How much is tunercat?
You could also buy another PCM and make a benchtop setup so you can use your desktop, that's how I started changing things on my PCM.
All I use is a cheap CB power supply, the cable you use to hook to the ALDL, computer, spare PCM, and tuning software. Because everything is running through 110v, the risk of low battery condition is removed.

Sara Lou
Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
To bad it don't work for obd2...
Originally Posted by brucer
no kidding, i wish it would..

I'm new to LT1's....although I have followed and read up on them for years. I've even parted out an uncle's totaled 95 TA M6, and had a 96 Formula with a bad engine....recently sold still not running since I bought my SS.
It is a 97 M6 car and had been modded a good bit with bolt-ons already including 4.10's and Long tubes, off road Y, no cats and O2 sims. They had tuned it for the gears and a 160* stat with a Hypertech Programmer, but it didn't come with the car.

Anyway, most of this was done by the original owner I think....whereas the guy I bought it from had it only a short time. He couldn't figure out why it kept throwing and EGR code and even put a new one on it. (Headers have no EGR or AIR ports.) When I got it, I installed the EGR delete plugs on the intake, removed the AIR pump and bracket....which left me with the SES light on all the time. I talked to a friend with a 94 Z28 who tunes his own, and he said he couldn't do OBD2.

I remembered having the old PCM from the 95 TA M6 laying around and it looked the same as far as outward appearance....so I got to wonderring if it would run on the OBD1....asked questions on here and found out it's a bolt in as long as you also change the knock sensor to the OBD1 version because of a different resistance. I swapped the knock sensor and PCM and it fired right up....appeared to run identically except my speedometer was now off.

No problem...the friend I mentioned was able to hook right up as if it is just a 95 car and tuned for the 4.10's and EGR delete.....plus the PCM isn't looking for rear 02's...so those sims are not needed anymore either.

I'd say if you have an OBD2 car....find a spare 94 or 95 PCM from a car with the same trans and gears, swap the knock sensor....and jump into tuning as mentioned here. You can always save your OBD2 PCM and knock sensor to go back if you need to. (I did.)
Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank to Bestbuys no interest financing for six months I took the plunge and got a laptop. Where can I buy a new cable?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.aldlcable.com
Old 08-21-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I'm new to LT1's....although I have followed and read up on them for years. I've even parted out an uncle's totaled 95 TA M6, and had a 96 Formula with a bad engine....recently sold still not running since I bought my SS.
It is a 97 M6 car and had been modded a good bit with bolt-ons already including 4.10's and Long tubes, off road Y, no cats and O2 sims. They had tuned it for the gears and a 160* stat with a Hypertech Programmer, but it didn't come with the car.

Anyway, most of this was done by the original owner I think....whereas the guy I bought it from had it only a short time. He couldn't figure out why it kept throwing and EGR code and even put a new one on it. (Headers have no EGR or AIR ports.) When I got it, I installed the EGR delete plugs on the intake, removed the AIR pump and bracket....which left me with the SES light on all the time. I talked to a friend with a 94 Z28 who tunes his own, and he said he couldn't do OBD2.

I remembered having the old PCM from the 95 TA M6 laying around and it looked the same as far as outward appearance....so I got to wonderring if it would run on the OBD1....asked questions on here and found out it's a bolt in as long as you also change the knock sensor to the OBD1 version because of a different resistance. I swapped the knock sensor and PCM and it fired right up....appeared to run identically except my speedometer was now off.

No problem...the friend I mentioned was able to hook right up as if it is just a 95 car and tuned for the 4.10's and EGR delete.....plus the PCM isn't looking for rear 02's...so those sims are not needed anymore either.

I'd say if you have an OBD2 car....find a spare 94 or 95 PCM from a car with the same trans and gears, swap the knock sensor....and jump into tuning as mentioned here. You can always save your OBD2 PCM and knock sensor to go back if you need to. (I did.)
Hope this helps.
Been there done that... went back to obd2 because the guy tuning the car could not get the blm's right. This was on a heads/cam/ intake 383, most likely it was the tuner, but he got it dialed in on the obd2 setup... he used lt1 edit w/ efi live, but you can no longer get it and the support blows anyways. The obd2 lt1 Is cursed. If I still had the car, a efi connection ls1 pcm/ coil swap would be on order.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Default Sounds like alot of info

If all I want to do is adjust the speedo for different size tires do I need everything mentioned in this post? Maybe in the future I might do more but thats really all I need right now. Been looking at Hypertech programmers which seem to do more then I am planning and looks alot easier!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to spend $200 on a HPP, then spend $150 on a mail-order tune instead.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Yeah but if I change tires again, which is likely, I would have to have another $150 reprogramming!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WheelBarrowsGarage
Yeah but if I change tires again, which is likely, I would have to have another $150 reprogramming!
Each subsequent reflash is only $50 from www.PCMforless.com. And the engine tuning provided from PCMforless (or any other mail order tuning) is FAR superior than the **** HPP gives you.

I would also recommend picking up a relatively inexpensive ALDL cable from www.akmcables.com so you can load the tunes yourself, not to mention it would give you invaluable access to scanning your PCM in real-time.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hijack but what all would be needed to scan my 93 in real time considering mine is chipped? I would really like to datalog so I can get it to Ion to dial it in a little better. Done a lot since my tune.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's nothing different about scanning the 93s...just get the right cable, Datamaster, and you're good to go.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

So us OBDII guys are screwed? Is there any setup I can use to do basic things?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know too much about real-time scanning of OBDII cars, but I know it's a good reason to convert to OBDI.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

converting to OBD1 was easy as pie...and only as expensive as a used pcm and a knock sensor change. I don't see any reason not to do it.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Found a Hypertech unit on here for a hundred bucks. Looks brand new and came with the box and all! For what I need it can't be beat!!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WheelBarrowsGarage
Found a Hypertech unit on here for a hundred bucks. Looks brand new and came with the box and all! For what I need it can't be beat!!
Until you choose to sell it and have to set your car back to stock to clear it.

Kidding...if it works for you that's a good price.

Quick Reply: Tuning- what ALL do I need