LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ok i need help really bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ok i need help really bad

okay well the shop i took it to said my fuel pressure was like 27 so i bought a walbro pump new sending unit new fuel filter replaced it all and i drove it it was doing good then brought it home let it sit running for a few minutes went RIGHT BACK to the bogging down car rumbling exhaust sounds like camming hit the gas it sounds like its like bogging out then comes back then bogs out then comes back WTF i need some suggestions
Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pressure reg may have gone bad and not the pump.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam95Maro
okay well the shop i took it to said my fuel pressure was like 27 so i bought a walbro pump new sending unit new fuel filter replaced it all and i drove it it was doing good then brought it home let it sit running for a few minutes went RIGHT BACK to the bogging down car rumbling exhaust sounds like camming hit the gas it sounds like its like bogging out then comes back then bogs out then comes back WTF i need some suggestions
Well most likely if your car is still basically stock, the problem is that that Walbro pump is pumping a little too much fuel now and overloading your motor with fuel.

My suggestion is going back to a stock pump for now until you do A LOT more mods, the stock pump is usually good until around 400 HP then you might wanna consider a bigger one, maybe keep that Walbro around for future use.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Well most likely if your car is still basically stock, the problem is that that Walbro pump is pumping a little too much fuel now and overloading your motor with fuel.

My suggestion is going back to a stock pump for now until you do A LOT more mods, the stock pump is usually good until around 400 HP then you might wanna consider a bigger one, maybe keep that Walbro around for future use.
Not correct.

The fuel pressure regulator controls how much fuel the injectors see, not the fuel pump. Any extra pressure provided by the higher volume pump simply returns to the tank. A 255lph pump won't cause his issues (assuming his FPR is in good working condition).

OP, you need to do your OWN fuel pressure test to see if the FPR is at fault. Another thing is don't automatically assume its a fuel issue - could be ignition related as well (coil, opti, loose/broken connections, plugs, wires, etc).
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula

but its doing the EXACT same thing it was doing before like EXACT and i asked the guy and he said that it should work fine on the car because i did ask about if it was too much for stock and he said it should be alright
Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Not correct.

The fuel pressure regulator controls how much fuel the injectors see, not the fuel pump. Any extra pressure provided by the higher volume pump simply returns to the tank. A 255lph pump won't cause his issues (assuming his FPR is in good working condition).

OP, you need to do your OWN fuel pressure test to see if the FPR is at fault. Another thing is don't automatically assume its a fuel issue - could be ignition related as well (coil, opti, loose/broken connections, plugs, wires, etc).
ALSO had the guy run a diagnostic on the motor he said coil was going so i replaced it with a stock one from advanced auto i believe it was ac delco and he said it fixed the misfire .. only had plugs and wires in for about ... 5000 miles im thinking maybe opti ? but wouldnt that show up as a misfire on diagnostic?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not always no. There will not be any codes for a failing cap/rotor. Is your opti stock? How many miles?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

yeah opti is stock as far as i kno i dont think the guy who had it before replaced it as he took crappy care of the car and its got 76,XXX miles on it
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Im with AC, could very well be the FPR, And from experience while changing it make sure you clean out the fuel rail at the same time. Mine where pretty dirty had stuff clogging the rails
Old 08-17-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

After running it and shuting it down. How does it restart its been my experience that when the fpr fails its super hard to restart the car
Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

so theres more than one option that it could be ? i guess ill try to replace fuel pressure regulator first and if that dont work i will look into doing opti this car has just about pissed me off more than anything and im about ready to sell this bitch i have spent 1000's of dollars just to get it to run constantly something going wrong
Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackBird87
After running it and shuting it down. How does it restart its been my experience that when the fpr fails its super hard to restart the car
well when i restart it it kinda stutters a lil in begining then starts and sometimes i gotta try twice but rarely
Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't throw parts at the car. You need to be smart about it and do the proper diagnostics. Go get a fuel pressure test gauge and do some tests. We can guide you along the way.

In the meantime, pull the vacuum line off of the regulator, then prime the pump a few times (or if you're by yourself apply 12v+ to the fuel pump prime connector) and see if any fuel comes out of the fitting on the reg. If it does, the regulator is bad.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Don't throw parts at the car. You need to be smart about it and do the proper diagnostics. Go get a fuel pressure test gauge and do some tests. We can guide you along the way.

In the meantime, pull the vacuum line off of the regulator, then prime the pump a few times (or if you're by yourself apply 12v+ to the fuel pump prime connector) and see if any fuel comes out of the fitting on the reg. If it does, the regulator is bad.
ill try that out when the car cools down a lil bit see what happens ...

this couldnt be a back pressure issue cause i dont have a muffler i have exhaust back just tubes though no mufflers would back pressure cause any of this i dont think so but worth asking
Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

No you're fine in that department.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not correct.

My bad, Idk why I didnt even think about the FPR, that makes way more sense
Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2. I 100% agree
Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

yeah i just getting mad is all and venting i not gonna sell it its the first car i bought on my own lol
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

talked to friend of the family mechanic and he said to check my o2 sensors? could that be a issue?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Follow the recommendation of checking the FPR. Pulling the vacuum line is free, and throwing parts at it is expensive. My 85 did the exact same thing when the FPR went out (TPI, about the same pressure).

Quick Reply: ok i need help really bad