LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fouled plugs on cylinder 7 and 8 + rattling sound + more

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Angry Fouled plugs on cylinder 7 and 8 + rattling sound + more

A couple weeks ago I took the car to the track and it ran like a raped ape. Since the car was in good mechanical shape I decided to take it on a 400 mile trip. On my way home I noticed a ticking at highway speeds that would increase with rpm, car drove without any kind of a miss. My initial thoughts were a loose rocker arm or exhaust leak etc. so I checked out a few things when I got home:

- Oil level and oil pressure are good
- No exhaust leaks
- No loose rockers
- No loose spark plugs
- Flywheel is not cracked and is tight against converter
- Starter appears to be ok

I then notice that cylinder 7 and 8 which are the cylinders closest to the firewall on each bank have fouled plugs. I had the plugs out a couple weeks ago because I check them pretty often and they were as clean as can be, first time to ever have this issue. I then notice that when the car is running it is dripping out carbon from the tailpipes. I then realize that the "tick" is more like a rattling or spinning noise that is coming from the back of the motor on the passenger side. When I shut the car off I can hear this rattle or spinning for a split second. Doesn't sound like a rod knock by the way.

I have thought of it being many potential things so I've been looking at everything. The manifold appears to have a good seal and inside of it appears to be pretty clean. The head gaskets are dry upfront but out back on both sides of the motor they appear to be wet on that little part that sticks out of the head. I also noticed that in the converter shield there is a good amount of oil and some water. I run water mixed with a tad bit of coolant by the way. The oil pan is leaking eventhough I replaced it about a year ago which explains why oil is in the converter shield.

So whether they are all related or not all of my issues are:
- Fouled plugs on cylinder 7 and 8
- Carbon dripping from tailpipes
- Leaking oil pan
- Oil and water built up in converter shield. (Oil coming from oil pan, water coming from ??)
- Wetness on rear of head gaskets
- Mystery rattling/spinning noise coming from rear of engine on passenger side

Any thoughts?

Last edited by StealthFormula; 08-25-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What lifters are in it? also what injectors? Have you checked for any codes?
What head bolts did you use? What rocker studs and what rockers?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
What lifters are in it? also what injectors? Have you checked for any codes?
What head bolts did you use? What rocker studs and what rockers?
I'll just list everything:

Cam: Custom XFI Grind
Springs: PAC 1518's
Lifters: LS7's
Injectors: Ford SVO 30's
Head Bolts: ARP's
Rocker Studs: ARP 134-7103
Rockers: Comp Pro-Mag 1.6's
Pushrods: Trick Flow hardened chromeoly

I installed everything brand new about two years/6,000 miles ago when I put the LE2 heads on it. New valve stem seals were installed on the heads at that time. Even with current issues the car still runs without any misses etc. No codes have popped up. I checked the valve springs none of them broke, valvetrain looks to be ok but manifold is still on the car so I cannot see everything perfectly. Also, car has never been overheated in its life.

Quick Reply: Fouled plugs on cylinder 7 and 8 + rattling sound + more