LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the sticker in your glove box or passenger door, GU2 is 2 series, GU5 is 3 series.

Motive are as close to OEM as you can get. Richmonds are good too.
I have the summit brand gears because they're the only brand that has 4.10's for a 2 series. They sent a set for a 3 series accidentally so I put them on a 3 series torsen. Anyways, the gears are set up perfectly but they still whine, I believe they may be richmonds, after all someone has to make the summit brand gears.

If your DS makes more rotations for one rotation of the tire you are increasing the torque by a certain percentage, going from a 2.73 to a 4.10 is something like an 18% increase(IIRC).
It's the same concept behind a breaker bar vs your bare hands, it's a lot easier to turn a bolt with all that extra torque.
Another good thing about larger ratio gears is that your rpm will be raised a bit allowing you to get into your powerband a little bit earlier.

It took less than a whole bottle of synthetic gear oil to fill up my differential, and a lot of synthetic brands already have an additive if you are using a clutch based Posi.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
Not trying to say youre wrong, but my Strange Engineering gears had a US Gear stamp on them, and it also said US Gear on the box in small letters. I've also heard from the sales rep that sold me the gears that US Gear makes that particular line of Strange gears, not Motive.

Maybe Motive owns US Gear? Not that I have anyhting against Motive, they're good gears.
Could be-who knows who makes what for who these days with even rival companies doing work for each other.

I should also mention that the OEM GM/AAM gears are considered the weaker gears of the bunch due to their cut. This is not to say they're weak, I just wouldn't use them in a high power application.

Quick Reply: Question about gears