LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High Flow Fuels fuel pump, possibly dead already?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010 | 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy argument bat man.

and how does warm fuel help emissions?
Old 09-01-2010 | 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
How do you figure?
Since everybody recomends the racetronic pump here i figure what they say should suffice.

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-FLT1-FPKG-2.html

read their little write-up.
Old 09-01-2010 | 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're contradicting yourself again. The answer is in the post you made before. Its hot because it has been circulating through the fuel rails, which are attached to the engine, which is hot...
See i never knew it went through the fuel rails. And my fault if i got hot headed, i just need to know what setup to go with thats a decent price. Because id like to drive my car as much as possible in the remaining months of having no snow. As of right now, its a show-piece in my yard
Old 09-01-2010 | 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

That write up says absolutely nothing about return fuel cooling the pump..

Hotter fuel helps emissions the same way a hot engine does, why do you think all the new engines run 210+
Old 09-01-2010 | 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

That write up says absolutely nothing about return fuel cooling the pump..

Hotter fuel helps emissions the same way a hot engine does, why do you think all the new engines run 210+
The write up may say nothing about fuel cooling the pump but it explains alot about why the bucket is there, which was my point in posting it.

Hotter fuel at the point of atomization helps emissions not hot fuel in the tank.
Old 09-01-2010 | 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're contradicting yourself again. The answer is in the post you made before. Its hot because it has been circulating through the fuel rails, which are attached to the engine, which is hot...
Gasoline moves through the fuel rails (at 43.5psi) at an average flow rate of 9.17 m/s (almost 21 mph), which means it is in contact with the warm fuel rails (approx 28") for a mere .078 sec. I HIGHLY doubt that gasoline has the ability to heat up to the point where it's actually going to cause the pump to run hotter if it's only in contact with the fuel rails for less than a tenth of a second. Besides, gasoline has HALF of the specific heat capacity of water making it a less-than-ideal candidate as a heating or cooling medium, so the argument that return fuel actually heats up the pump doesn't make much sense. The bucket also prevents exposing the pump to any atmosphere in the tank which can corrode the pump components.

Use the bucket.
Old 09-01-2010 | 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok and how do I re-seal the bucket? I melted it back together with a soldering iron last time
Old 09-01-2010 | 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Ok and how do I re-seal the bucket? I melted it back together with a soldering iron last time
Most parts stores have a glue that is fuel resistant.
Old 09-01-2010 | 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Use fuel-resistant epoxy. Additionally, you can use safety wire to secure the pump lid by drilling a small hole in either side of the bucket and attaching and twisting the wire.
Old 09-01-2010 | 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Use fuel-resistant epoxy. Additionally, you can use safety wire to secure the pump lid by drilling a small hole in either side of the bucket and attaching and twisting the wire.
Ok thanks, i hope i can get the bucket apart. Its melted together haha
Old 09-01-2010 | 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Gasoline moves through the fuel rails (at 43.5psi) at an average flow rate of 9.17 m/s (almost 21 mph), which means it is in contact with the warm fuel rails (approx 28") for a mere .078 sec. I HIGHLY doubt that gasoline has the ability to heat up to the point where it's actually going to cause the pump to run hotter if it's only in contact with the fuel rails for less than a tenth of a second. Besides, gasoline has HALF of the specific heat capacity of water making it a less-than-ideal candidate as a heating or cooling medium, so the argument that return fuel actually heats up the pump doesn't make much sense. The bucket also prevents exposing the pump to any atmosphere in the tank which can corrode the pump components.

Use the bucket.
That's theory. In reality I have felt the hot fuel returning from the engine. The bucket is absolutely NOT necessary, and there are pros and cons to removing it, I chose to remove.
Old 09-01-2010 | 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's theory. In reality I have felt the hot fuel returning from the engine. The bucket is absolutely NOT necessary, and there are pros and cons to removing it, I chose to remove.
I am really mixed over the bucket since they were not used for years.
Old 09-01-2010 | 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS Sick
I am really mixed over the bucket since they were not used for years.
Use the bucket, I can't see what advantage not using it provides. If yours is too mangled, get a new one.
Old 09-01-2010 | 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah im going to stick with the bucket, im also probably going to get the racetronix kit. I hope this is the issue i was having. But if the fuel pressure was 0 and i didnt have any fuel come out of the line when i disconnected it from the filter, really, what else could it be?
Old 09-02-2010 | 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Greg, it's not theory. It's math. You can do the calculations yourself if you want.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose.
Old 09-02-2010 | 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh heres another thing i just thought of. Back before this "no fuel issue" occured, when the car would be good and warmed up, and id go to start it, id prime the pump twice, this would make it start alot better. If I only primed it once, it would really hesitate to start. So maybe the pump hasnt been putting out good pressure all along?
Old 09-02-2010 | 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or you've got an FPR bleed-down issue.

BTW, not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but if all you need is a pump, I've got a Walbro 255 (GSS340) that I pulled out of my car when I installed dual 255's. I didn't know what pump was in it until I pulled it out (it was already there when I bought the car), but it ran great. If all you need is the pump, I'd sell it to you for like $40 shipped or so.
Old 09-02-2010 | 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qc97z
Or you've got an FPR bleed-down issue.

BTW, not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but if all you need is a pump, I've got a Walbro 255 (GSS340) that I pulled out of my car when I installed dual 255's. I didn't know what pump was in it until I pulled it out (it was already there when I bought the car), but it ran great. If all you need is the pump, I'd sell it to you for like $40 shipped or so.
FPR is new so its probably not the issue. And how many miles were on the pump? Also do you have the wiring and stuff as well?
Old 09-02-2010 | 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
FPR is new so its probably not the issue. And how many miles were on the pump? Also do you have the wiring and stuff as well?
It has the power plug with pigtail on it, nothing else. I tossed the pump sock (filter) because I didn't want to sell the pump with an old stained sock on it. I like fresh new stuff

Racetronix sells an install kit for like $15 if I remember correctly, which has a sock, some hose, couple of clamps, etc.
I'm unsure of the mileage on the pump. I bought the car with 71K on it 3 years ago, it has 79K on it now (I just changed out for duals about a month and a half ago). All I know is that it worked great when I shut the car off to start my build. It's a cheap fix for you, I'm sure it has a lot of miles left on it. However, it is used, so keep that in mind.
Old 09-02-2010 | 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

The bucket was introduced to keep the pump submerged in fuel continuosly,the return line was designed to keep "vaporloc'' from happening.

Back to helping the OP....

I am sure your pump is the problem. as i stated earlier all pumps are subject to failure no matter the manufactuer! Best to purchase a known brand

Quick Reply: High Flow Fuels fuel pump, possibly dead already?