LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil leaking EVERYWHERE :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ok if it is all over the opti then it is not the rear main seal as somebody said earlier. Sounds more like the symptoms of a crankshaft front cover seal leaking.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
ok if it is all over the opti then it is not the rear main seal as somebody said earlier. Sounds more like the symptoms of a crankshaft front cover seal leaking.
oh, i have oil all over the back also... it is going all the way back to the transmission... i can't get my arm to fit behind the intake so i can't tell if the rear portion of the intake is leaking or if it is the rear main. my GUESS is it is the rear main. in the front i do not see it directly above the water pump though so i know the front of the intake is not leaking. it is either leaking around the waterpump, opti or what ever is behind the balancer that the CPS sensor is in but i'm not sure.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

While your in there you might as well replace the cap and rotor. With the oil all over the opti its likely the seal on your distributor is in poor shape. Once that goes condensation will break the unit down. We sell them for $28 shipped WITH a cover like the GM kit.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
How much you want for it? I'm always looking for another car to make me broke as hell.
lol I'll trade you my 83 T/A for it. I guaranty you it wont leak a single drop of oil. You will have to use Flintstone power though (NO ENGINE,TRANS OR REAR END). And it will rust like hell if it even sees a drop of rain. (NO PAINT) and the milk crate isn't the most comffy but it will do the job. And I promiss there are no rats, bugs, flees, mice, birds, cats, dogs, or anything living in it. And the storage is fenominal. I have tons of **** I don't want in it that I will throw in for free. Whatdia think?

did you buy KITT after he was dumped in acid or something?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

LMFAO! that pic hurts to look at!

Like stated befor, a 32k mile car, your not the brightest if you get rid of it. Also, id hope this 32k mile car isnt your daily driver. I would just find the highest leak first and go from there, who cares if it takes you 2 weeks to do.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trilkb
LMFAO! that pic hurts to look at!

Like stated befor, a 32k mile car, your not the brightest if you get rid of it. Also, id hope this 32k mile car isnt your daily driver. I would just find the highest leak first and go from there, who cares if it takes you 2 weeks to do.
the irony of that pic is that in the ep, kitt's windows (other than the windshield and hatch), interior, t-tops, etc are destroyed by the acid but yet the tires survived
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop

did you buy KITT after he was dumped in acid or something?

LOL I love it. Yup thats about what mine looks like but mine doubles as a storage shed as well I never could sport those black hub caps though so I have a set of 88GTA wheels on there lol. I can't belive you found that pic, thats too cool.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

well yeah, there also bullit proof
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Don't forget laser proof and it can leap small buildings in a single stage of NOS lol
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Agree. Could be the water pump seal is screwed too. I would start with the front gaskets and move toward the back. The front seals will send oil all the way to the tranny if they are leaking enough. Might only be about $60 in gaskets, but a lot of elbow grease to get it done. It's worth it though.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

I just did a throttle body bypass on my car tonight and noticed that the CCV hose (runs from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body was cracked and leaking oil down onto the waterpump/opti. that is actually the wettest part of my car the highest up. If it was leaking as much oil as the hose had in it, id say it was one of my larger leaks, dropping down the front of the motor, getting slung everywhere, and working its way back under the car. Kind of scary that the hose had that much oil in it feeding back into the t/b.

Id imagine with what people accumulate in a catch can over 3000 miles, that mightve been one of the largest leaks i had. Makes me want a catch can too

Last edited by trilkb; 09-09-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTC
A lot of the potential oil leaks are pretty easy to fix. You'll feel better about things if you fix them yourself. I'm with the person that said to man the f*** up. Personally, I would get some factory service manuals before manning the f*** up, but I would still man the f*** up. I might also get some tools. Sears usually has some pretty decent deals on Craftsman tool kits. There are also places to get OEM parts at fairly reasonable prices. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
OMG that was so damn funny. Anybody know how to put quotes in the sig?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I want to put this whole freakin thread in my sig lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trilkb
well yeah, there also bullit proof
so is the glass.

and IIRC the tires aren't completely bulletproof. i remember something about tufflex bullets or something that would penetrate them (yes i'm a KNERD )

Originally Posted by jaycenk
LOL I love it. Yup thats about what mine looks like but mine doubles as a storage shed as well I never could sport those black hub caps though so I have a set of 88GTA wheels on there lol. I can't belive you found that pic, thats too cool.
As soon as you said it had no paint and was an 83 T/A i thought of the episode "junkyard dog" where KITT gets dipped in the acid and searched for pics from that episode. i could have even found a better pic since i have the whole series on DVD but i wasn't that motivated
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

give it a good hose-down until most oil is gone then start it up and see where it leaks from
Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Don't give up on it...i was 15 when i got mine and didn't know my ******* from my elbow...now i enjoy working on my car. Were not born with it, gotta learn it.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

^ taking a **** mustve proved intresting

i 2nd the take a hose to it part. then when she dont start, ill buy her!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

simple green and a power wash, then make sure the pcv is working and not building pressure and actually pushing oil out. I would just take a few days, drop the motor out the bottom and strip it down to a longblock and us all new gaskets and seals.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a place in Syracuse, dynamic performance, I have had stuff done there, pretty reasonable. They did my clutch hydraulics on my last car.

Quick Reply: oil leaking EVERYWHERE :(