LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally, cam installed and engine running but questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Good luck with that cam, if something happens to it dont say we didnt tell you. Guy in the LS section had his stock cam reground and blew his motor up real fast
was that the guy that had the work done at a nissan dealership that was a funny thread
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
...I wasn't poor when I bought it. Times have changed... Really, I know it needs a tune, and I don't mind people being helpful. It's just when it's condescending from someone the same age as me thinks they know it all because they read up on forums all day.

On a positive note, most everyone here is 100x's smarter than the guys who post all day on Honda forums. Those guys are retarded!
I know what you mean sometimes it gets out of hand but you cant get to worked up. At a first glance you have a reground cam and running without a tune two very bad things in a lot of ppls eyes. If no one cared or wanted to help you wouldnt of gotten any responses. As for your tune look into pcmforless and madz28 both come recommended. I personally have met ion (madz28) and hes a nice guy and knows what hes doing.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Oh man! So much bashing going oin here.

I have to agree with everyone else. A tune is a must. Solomon from lt1forless is cheap and a great tuner!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=ryanisfast;13846260]So, Back in January I had this car running and it felt fast! However, I ended up breaking a valve spring because I didn't take the the dampener spring out of my VS2700's. QUOTE]

This issue comes up with those springs ALL THE TIME. I see it on other Forums too, with the same LAME advice; remove the damper. Hell, the engineer(s) who designed those springs concluded they need a damper, so, what, now we just re-engineer them by deleting the damper? NOT A SMART MOVE AT ALL!!

Check LS1LT1, CAMAROZ28, etc.,if you want to see other posts and the damage they've caused to other guy's engines.

You should NOT have to do any modifications to the springs, no removal of the damper or grinding to get them to fit. If they don't fit they're the wrong springs for your application and SHOULD NOT BE USED - PURE AND SIMPLE.

Someone who's bought those springs on LE's recommendation ought to pull his coat on this continuing problem and suggest he STOP recommending them. Yes, he's a great guy and all that, but don't just BLINDLY follow a recommendation that has such a terrible track record.

Sometimes you've got to think for yourself.

Jake
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=JAKEJR;13911267]
Originally Posted by ryanisfast
So, Back in January I had this car running and it felt fast! However, I ended up breaking a valve spring because I didn't take the the dampener spring out of my VS2700's. QUOTE]

This issue comes up with those springs ALL THE TIME. I see it on other Forums too, with the same LAME advice; remove the damper. Hell, the engineer(s) who designed those springs concluded they need a damper, so, what, now we just re-engineer them by deleting the damper? NOT A SMART MOVE AT ALL!!

Check LS1LT1, CAMAROZ28, etc.,if you want to see other posts and the damage they've caused to other guy's engines.

You should NOT have to do any modifications to the springs, no removal of the damper or grinding to get them to fit. If they don't fit they're the wrong springs for your application and SHOULD NOT BE USED - PURE AND SIMPLE.

Someone who's bought those springs on LE's recommendation ought to pull his coat on this continuing problem and suggest he STOP recommending them. Yes, he's a great guy and all that, but don't just BLINDLY follow a recommendation that has such a terrible track record.

Sometimes you've got to think for yourself.

Jake
I'm not going to say that there isn't truth to what you're saying, however, People have had issues with even expensive valve springs, or very common ones. I was told by my local engine builder/machining shop that the springs would work for up to .600" of lift, and he personally had them tested for coil bind. He also took out the inner dampeners. He said it should be fine as long as I'm not holding it at 6k rpms for a long time like trying to do a top speed run or something.

To be honest when my valve spring broke I think it was due to my install with not setting the valve lash right. But like anything, you're better off buying the expensive stuff. You do get what you pay for in some instances.

Quick Reply: Finally, cam installed and engine running but questions