LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New times.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
I don't see how it would matter who ported them anyway. What is done to them is what matters. The heads were gasket matched along with the intake and lightly ported. Nothing special.

You're right, it doesn't matter who ported them. Other than the fact that you're trapping 110 with a heads / cam car, and the cam is healthy...

I dont even like that cam but it's been 11's cam only PLENTY.

There are bolt on cars that are faster than yours.

I'm not running your **** down, I'm telling you that you have a problem and "local ported heads" is right up on the top of the list.

Along with that piece of **** TCI converter.

I cant tell you how many "local ported heads" cars I've seen that run like absolute ****. You realize if your porter doesn't know what they're doing, they can do WAY more harm than good on an LT / Fast burn head, right?

Put some good parts in it.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
You're right, it doesn't matter who ported them. Other than the fact that you're trapping 110 with a heads / cam car, and the cam is healthy...

I dont even like that cam but it's been 11's cam only PLENTY.

There are bolt on cars that are faster than yours.

I'm not running your **** down, I'm telling you that you have a problem and "local ported heads" is right up on the top of the list.

Along with that piece of **** TCI converter.

I cant tell you how many "local ported heads" cars I've seen that run like absolute ****. You realize if your ported doesn't know what they're doing, they can do WAY more harm than good on an LT / Fast burn head, right?

Put some good parts in it.
This thread is going in the toilet fast. Just as easy as you can say bolt on cars are as fast as mine there are WAY healthier setups than mine running high 12's. Do these bolt on cars have weight reduction? What tires are they running? What elevation are they running at? I'm running full weight with a/c and my tires are 255/50r16 M/T ET Streets on stock wheels. There are too many variables to really say any of that is true or not.

To say my heads are doing all this and my porter doesn't know what he's doing is a bit much. If the guy didn't know what he was doing I never would have used him for the work. He's been building engines for over 30 years and works closely with some local performance shops mainly on LTX/LSX.

The only post that made any sense was the one saying I might be losing mph from the converter. I already replied then saying that I will look into other brands next year when I build my spare tranny.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone but it's too soon for everyone to tear apart my setup and tell me everything is wrong when it could have just been a bad night at the track. **** happens sometimes. If I were able to post the videos (lost the cable for my camera) you can see me spin off the line, spin on the 1-2 shift, and spin again on the 2-3 shift. Early in the night there was a spill and the track was slippery even after the 2 hour cleanup. A few slick cars almost went into the wall right around the 1000' mark.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

1) Just because other people build slow, shitty setups, doesnt mean yours is running like it should just because its running better than theirs.

2) I dont care how slick the track was, trap speed is the indicator of HP. At that elevation you should be trapping 116 minimum, with a decent set of heads and that cam. Minimum
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is going in the toilet fast. Just as easy as you can say bolt on cars are as fast as mine there are WAY healthier setups than mine running high 12's. Do these bolt on cars have weight reduction? What tires are they running? What elevation are they running at? I'm running full weight with a/c and my tires are 255/50r16 M/T ET Streets on stock wheels. There are too many variables to really say any of that is true or not.

To say my heads are doing all this and my porter doesn't know what he's doing is a bit much. If the guy didn't know what he was doing I never would have used him for the work. He's been building engines for over 30 years and works closely with some local performance shops mainly on LTX/LSX.

The only post that made any sense was the one saying I might be losing mph from the converter. I already replied then saying that I will look into other brands next year when I build my spare tranny.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone but it's too soon for everyone to tear apart my setup and tell me everything is wrong when it could have just been a bad night at the track. **** happens sometimes. If I were able to post the videos (lost the cable for my camera) you can see me spin off the line, spin on the 1-2 shift, and spin again on the 2-3 shift. Early in the night there was a spill and the track was slippery even after the 2 hour cleanup. A few slick cars almost went into the wall right around the 1000' mark.
That's why I said get it on the dyno. Hopefully its something simple like a botched tune, but you are definitely missing power.

I trapped 111 with a 210/224 cam with very mild heads in a full weight auto with a slipping trans. It only made 322rwhp fwiw. 110mph in a heads/cam car with a cam that size regardless of transmission is extremely low indicating a problem somewhere or very poor heads.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

This is true that trap speed is an indicator of hp but there is no concrete facts that this is always 100% true. There are variables that can greatly effect mph. Back when the cc306 was still a new cam a friend of mine went 11.8's @ 99 with a cam only setup.

gregrob, I'm not saying my setup is the best thing ever because others are slower than me. I went 12.9 @ 106 with some bolt-ons before I started building this motor. I also don't agree at all that a slick track will not change mph. The same night I ran my car my neighbor's notchback mustang that usually runs 10.9x's had a best run of 12.4 @ 110. His car usually traps around 118-120 if I remember correctly. I'm not going to say you guys are full of it or anything, I just think there's more to it than spending more money on heads and a tune.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Get it on a dyno asap. Id be willing to bet its mostly the tune. The heads are holding back power, but you should be faster than that.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slomaro95Z28, congrats on your new times and hard work accomplishment. One thing I can tell you on this forum or any other is that half of the people will automatically jump in and criticize because they're either jealous or don't know for **** what they're talking about.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOLO
Slomaro95Z28, congrats on your new times and hard work accomplishment. One thing I can tell you on this forum or any other is that half of the people will automatically jump in and criticize because they're either jealous or don't know for **** what they're talking about.
Thank you! I'm on quite a few forums so I'm used to this. I know my car isn't perfect like many other people on here but I learn what works as I go. This was my second time at the track in the past 2 years. It's going to take some time to get where I want to be but it's fun trying to get there.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well even if the car is down on power (which Im not convinced it is) the car works well for your trap speed. A gasket match and light porting cant be compaired with AI or LE fully worked heads. Keep doing what your doing and have fun!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!!!

I believe it's shifting at 6700 or 6800. I have no weight reduction other than not having a spare tire. I don't believe in weight reduction unless it's a full blown drag car and I still daily drive mine. The converter is my guess on the low trap speed but mph means nothing. Mph will change depending on weight, gear ratio, type and size of converter, traction, ect. I'm looking into other brand converters for when I build my spare tranny next year.
Good plan on the converter, I know you will pick up some MPH with that alone. Also, you might want to lower your shift points some. I picked up a tenth by dropping my shift points a few hundred rpm... but I have bone stock heads also.

I am also willing to bet that the tune is way off. Get that thing on the dyno and get a real tune in it before you let these other ******** tell you your heads are junk. If you had very minimal work done to them, then I doubt that would be the problem. It's not like you had the hogged out by a blind man.

Gregrob is just a disgruntled LS1tech'r.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

O no! ported heads that weren't done by a sponsor? its junk! put a rag in the gas tank, light it and and collect the insurance!

congrats on the new PB OP! keep on whittling it down
Old 09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep plugging away and those times will drop. Noone ever runs great numbers out of the box. You have to test and tune and tweak lots of little things, and when it all comes together you'll get the numbers you are after. First things first, get some good tires so you can eliminate the traction variable.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys. A duno tune and new stall/built tranny are on my list for next year. I'm going to at least price some heads but I'm pretty sure I won't need them. I know they will help some but depending on price it's not worth doing yet.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats on the NB. 11's will come in the cooler weather.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

BADHAWK51: Thanks.

I just checked out Lloyd Elliot and AI's sites. After seeing prices heads might be 2 years away. The Lloyd Elliot heads seem to be the better deal so that's the way I'm thinking of going. You guys all know how long the parts lists get when you start thinking about what you can improve. It took me 5 years of saving and working my *** off to get where I am so it's only a matter of time before I get everything I need.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

BADHAWK51: Thanks.

I just checked out Lloyd Elliot and AI's sites. After seeing prices heads might be 2 years away. The Lloyd Elliot heads seem to be the better deal so that's the way I'm thinking of going. You guys all know how long the parts lists get when you start thinking about what you can improve. It took me 5 years of saving and working my *** off to get where I am so it's only a matter of time before I get everything I need.
I agree, you don't build a fast car overnight unless you have plenty of cash. It takes time to buy all the parts you think you want and then something else always comes up bigger and better that cost ya more money.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

congrats on a personal best! and as long as you had fun, that's all that matters.

spend the 50/60 on a dyno pull though. it's cheap test to see where your powerband is and to see if anything is missing or not. or..go back to the track and log a couple of runs and send it back to your tuner, see if he would change anything.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by merim123
congrats on a personal best! and as long as you had fun, that's all that matters.

spend the 50/60 on a dyno pull though. it's cheap test to see where your powerband is and to see if anything is missing or not. or..go back to the track and log a couple of runs and send it back to your tuner, see if he would change anything.
Thanks. It's always fun.

I already plan to have the car dyno tuned. I'm just trying to finish up a few more things first. I didn't want to make any changes after the tune so it can wait a little longer. Next year will be a better time for my car. I want too many things I can't afford right now. lol.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he was saying, just dyno it to see where you stand.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I think he was saying, just dyno it to see where you stand.
I got that. I just wanted to do it all in one shot. Like I said money is tight and I still have to buy 4 tires (33x12.5x15) for my Jeep. Winters have been really bad in PA the past few years. I do thank you all for the help and kind words.

Quick Reply: New times.