LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Motion cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The amount of information is overwhelming. Proof, patrolling for bad information Police Captain!
I'm serious. You want to make that claim then show how a custom cam for stock heads is ideal.
No, you're right. A shelf cam is ideal.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMFAO again
Old 10-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Rockstar

Since when is a custom cam ever a bad idea?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Since when is a custom cam ever a bad idea?
Well when there are proven off the shelf combos for stock shortblocks.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
No, you're right. A shelf cam is ideal.
I didn't think you would cave so easily. So basically, your patrolling duties to get bad information off the streets consist of **** you've heard from who knows where and are regurgitating to the masses as if it's the Word of God. Prove yourself. Since you know a custom cam for stock heads is ideal, post up information relative to your claim. Call the ball, officer!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

This is retarded..
Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't read all this BUT if a particular custom grinder does such a wonderful job at a particular application that they start selling many of the same "custom" cams. At what point does it become a "shelf" grind and no longer make as much power because it is no longer "custom".

Few of us are doing anything terribly different with our motors to warrant much of a truly "custom" cam. For almost all of us someone else has already done something very similar to what we want and figured out what works very well already.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Few of us are doing anything terribly different with our motors to warrant much of a truly "custom" cam. For almost all of us someone else has already done something very similar to what we want and figured out what works very well already.
What he said.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't think you would cave so easily. So basically, your patrolling duties to get bad information off the streets consist of **** you've heard from who knows where and are regurgitating to the masses as if it's the Word of God. Prove yourself. Since you know a custom cam for stock heads is ideal, post up information relative to your claim. Call the ball, officer!
Tell me; is a shelf cam better for a car or a cam specifically design for the exact application better?

My answer is that a true custom cam is ideal NO MATTER the car/setup. If it's truly ideal then split ratio rockers are not necessary unless it is specifically designed to be on them. A shelf cam may or may not need to be altered or on split ratio rockers depending. This is fact.

I don't really care what you say about it. If you say otherwise then show me proof, because I don't care to show you or anybody else proof on this. This is FACT. I've said it twice, now.

STFU. green live proof **** you.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I didn't read all this BUT if a particular custom grinder does such a wonderful job at a particular application that they start selling many of the same "custom" cams. At what point does it become a "shelf" grind and no longer make as much power because it is no longer "custom".
You know I posed this question months ago and it went ignored.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The argument can be made that, even a "custom" grind cam, would be so similar in dimensions to the already popular shelf cams that the performance difference would be either immeasurable, negligible, or both.

Let's also keep in mind we are talking about a grind with STOCK heads and a STOCK bottom end. IMO, there's very VERY little reason (or none at all) to go with a custom grind out there considering the dozens of off-the-shelf grinds available. Each one delivers a different driving experience and can deliver whatever the driver wants - all it takes is research. There's a reason they are called "off-the-shelf" grinds, because they are popular enough and proven enough to be mass-produced and sold to the public.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Village Troll

I don't care to show you or anybody else proof on this. This is FACT. I've said it twice, now.

STFU. green live proof **** you.
Reason being is you don't have any. You are slopping off opinions. Why are you getting pissy? I am merely asking for information. All you've done thus far is slopped off an opinion of why you think a "true custom cam" is ideal for stock heads. That's not enough, officer. I am looking for hard factual information. Where is it?
Read what RamAir has stated. It's written testimony you, and any other sucker wanting a "custom" cam for a stock head application should heed. You call a reputable cam place, tell them of your limited setup (ie stock lt1 heads/cam/displ) you never know if they'll reference a cam they ground for someone else with relatively the same mods. How would you know it's a "true custom cam" for your specific application?

Last edited by SS RRR; 10-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

This thread
Old 10-08-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Reason being is you don't have any. You are slopping off opinions. Why are you getting pissy? I am merely asking for information. All you've done thus far is slopped off an opinion of why you think a "true custom cam" is ideal for stock heads. That's not enough, officer. I am looking for hard factual information. Where is it?
Read what RamAir has stated. It's written testimony you, and any other sucker wanting a "custom" cam for a stock head application should heed. You call a reputable cam place, tell them of your limited setup (ie stock lt1 heads/cam/displ) you never know if they'll reference a cam they ground for someone else with relatively the same mods. How would you know it's a "true custom cam" for your specific application?
We are talking ideals. "Ideally" a custom cam would be better. PERIOD.
Real world, I agree with Ramair95ta. A shelf cam should do just fine for bolt ons, even the "custom" shelf cams IE AI/LE/Comp would pretty much perform very similarly. But "ideally" a custom cam, spec'd out and tested and changed and ground to exact "ideal" specs would be IDEAL. Not going to really happen in real life, but when the word Ideal is thrown out, real world really can't apply anyway.

ideal ideal ideal ideal. I didn't say it enough.

I don't need info or proof. This is fact. Next you'll want to argue about gravity and ask for "proof."
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

this thread sucks for the most part.. just like the last one
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSWHO.... Can you just admit that you know next to nothing. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Ok. According to LS1tech a shelf cam is ideal. Got it, I know next to nothing. Better tell all the fast guys to return their custom cams.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. According to LS1tech a shelf cam is ideal. Got it, I know next to nothing. Better tell all the fast guys to return their custom cams.
It's a shame that the same cam I'm running is also running in a ton of different cars. I guess I need to pull it out and get a custom one off for my specific vehicle.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
It's a shame that the same cam I'm running is also running in a ton of different cars. I guess I need to pull it out and get a custom one off for my specific vehicle.
You can bastardize anything to say anything on ls1tech I guess. I'm dealing with highschoolers.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Village Troll

We are talking ideals. "Ideally" a custom cam would be better. PERIOD.
ideal ideal ideal ideal. I didn't say it enough.
I don't need info or proof. This is fact. Next you'll want to argue about gravity and ask for "proof."
Not a chance. I cannot argue with what has been established. You on the other hand, it would appear all you are doing is splitting hairs when challenged, good Senator and I'm still trying my best at taking you seriously. There are years and years of posts on this site and CZ28.com that you can research to find out that no one with a "true custom cam" on stock heads has ran any better than any of the Flavor of the Month cams available in any given time period. Go search.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Not a chance. I cannot argue with what has been established. You on the other hand, it would appear all you are doing is splitting hairs when challenged, good Senator and I'm still trying my best at taking you seriously. There are years and years of posts on this site and CZ28.com that you can research to find out that no one with a "true custom cam" on stock heads has ran any better than any of the Flavor of the Month cams available in any given time period. Go search.
Show me a person running a custom cam that is a one off to that exact car.

Show me a single one.

You are talking about custom cams that are actually shelf cams. Moot.

I wonder about the fastest LT1 on the internet...
What cam does tony sheppard run?
Taner?
Sikora?
what did big rick run?
jeff gilbert?
george baxter?

They must all run the shelf cams, right? Cause now they are just as good.

Last edited by LSWHO; 10-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam Motion cams