LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

L99 4.3L V8 Swap - 95 M6 Z28??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
So there is nothing at all to be gained with better heads? That just doesn't sound right....or are you saying that the aluminum head is not any better? (Doesn't sound right either) OR more likely, you are just saying the aluminum ones would be better, but not necessary. ??
What I am saying is that with a 3" stroke I really doubt that you will see much if any improvement will the aluminum heads over the stock ones. The exhaust ports are pretty much the same. The intake ports are not far behind the LT1's. There might actually be an advantage to having the 1.84 valve with the small bore.

Lastly, I mean no offense (this is actually a compliment really) but saying a L99 went mid 7's in YOUR camaro with just a .030" bore, cam, and springs sounds very impressive UNTIL I remember that your car is completely sorted out and set up bumper to bumper.
That was my Camaro on it's second outing. It made a little over 300 RWHP. I think that it would have gone a lot faster if the IHRA hadn't changed the rules to keep me out of Stock GT!

Honestly what do you think the same L99 would have ran in the typical street car with normal weight, A/C, bolt-ons, gears, and drag radials? I am asking seriously because I have zero experience with this engine.
I think that it would run pretty good. I would love to see someone run one as-is and then do a few basic mods. I think that they could turn a few heads!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
What I am saying is that with a 3" stroke I really doubt that you will see much if any improvement will the aluminum heads over the stock ones. The exhaust ports are pretty much the same. The intake ports are not far behind the LT1's. There might actually be an advantage to having the 1.84 valve with the small bore.
Yes the 1.94's would potentially have more valve shrouding which could hinder flow despite the heads themselves flowing better is what you're saying. That is a very good point. The following is only somewhat relative, but I know someone who had good results with 350 Vortec Heads on a non vortec 305 which would be the same bore size and 1.94" valves. Still who is to say that the gains he saw was not from the much more efficient chamber vs his old 305 heads instead of flow increases.....which wouldn't be an issue with the L99 vs LT1 heads since the chambers are pretty much the same it looks like.

I guess for me it boils down to I'd already have the LT1 aluminum heads and know they are ready to bolt on, so I'd try them if for no other reason than the 50# or so off the front end.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

I had a 93 trans a i did this too. t56 and a l99. I put a stock lt1 cam and springs in it to get it running while i was in the army. ended up selling it to some young gal in alabama.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the car in question may already have an L99 in it since I noticed the heads are iron when I was taking some accesories off of it. Or it could be just a B-body LT1. I don't know when I will get around to working on it again.

Quick Reply: L99 4.3L V8 Swap - 95 M6 Z28??