LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

anyone know where to buy an engine oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

On my '94, the oil filter adapter was part of the oil cooler assembly, so I didn't need anything to accommodate the oil filter. I bought an oil cooler adapter, but didn't need it. Whether or not that's also the case on the 95's, I'm not sure. There is also an oil cooler bypass hose that runs from the radiator to the water pump, but a lot of people simply plug those ports, apparently without issue. I installed the hose.

If you're running a good synthetic oil, I don't think you have any reason to be concerned about losing the oil cooler. The cooler design you have has a tendency to plug. I know when I removed mine, my oil pressure improved dramatically, but my car had also been sitting for a long time, and I changed the oil filter at the same time. So, I'm not sure all of that could be attributed to removing the cooler. Not to mention I had the early design, which I've read is better.

You might also check out www.camaroz28.com. I know there is some additional info there, and a lot of the guys on that site are quite knowledgeable.

Quick Reply: anyone know where to buy an engine oil cooler?