LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got a crazy idea let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Why is it that everyone on this site wants to tell people what to do? Instead of helping out, it's "do this." "You're stupid for wanting to do that." Not "yes, it can be done." "I applaud you for wanting to do something different."

Make your car JUST LIKE MINE! Don't be original! Don't do something you want to! Cause if you talk about it, LS1tech is gonna tell you that you are stupid and it's cheaper to be JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

Question:
"I want to tune a carb, can I do it this way?"

Answer:
"Don't do that, get a mail tune. You've already said you want to tune it yourself so get a mail tune."

Or:
"Tune with EFI instead. You clearly said you want to tune it carbed, but you are stupid. Do it with this software."

I gotta point out that ALL the really fast guys, aren't doing it like everybody else.
until you're one of the fast guys, no one gives a **** about what you think. The only way to be one of the fast guys is either knowing a lot, or having deep pockets.

If you really wanna be unique, find an MSD 7600 ignition.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by merim123
here you go man, this might help in your quest.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...rb+distributor
hey look at the genius that started that thread
Old 09-30-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
hey look at the genius that started that thread
Yeah and look at the useful info there. No bullshit from ******** like you.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

i'm just confused as to why he wants/needs to run coil packs... A crank trigger setup is going to be just as accurate timing wise, a lot cheaper, and eliminates about 10 different potential problem areas. It's one thing to stray from the normal to produce an extraordinary outcome, it's another thing to spend 1200 dollars and have nothing to show for it except "bragging rights"
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah and look at the useful info there. No bullshit from ******** like you.
Useful information on a pointless subject matter? Your original question in that thread proves you know NOTHING about fuel injection and nothing about distributors, so why are you in this thread trying to disagree with the people who do know?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

i'm just confused as to why hep wants/needs to run coil packs... A crank trigger setup is going to be just as accurate timing wise, a lot cheaper, and eliminates about 10 different potential problem areas. It's one thing to stray from the normal to produce an extraordinary outcome, it's another thing to spend 1200 dollars and have nothing to show for it except "bragging rights"
Im still trying to figure out how you people think that there would be no change in this combination a carb when its been proven millions of times that carbs make more power than efi. But im sure those motors on dynos didn't have a mail order tune lmao
Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

I don't care about what type of air/fuel metering contraption goes on your motor... coil packs are a waste of money. And just for the record, I PREFER a carburetor over EFI on a race car, but on the street there's no comparison.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

I really dont see how you figure that coil packs are a waste of money. Alot of ls cars are running really fast with stock coil packs. Also about the comment of the crank trigger, go price that stuff out and tell me how that is cheaper than what i am trying to do??? The efi connection base kit is 525, then 300 for the 6010 witch has 2 step a single stage retard, and the timing curve is built around how you want it. Also this car is being transformed into more of a strip car than street. I understand that this is a mild combination of the initial investment is not that great and I can grow with this set up for years to come and not have to worry about well is my stock ported intake gonna support my needs. With the purchase of a victor jr. i know what that will be my last concern. This is not about bragging right at all this about trying something new, and if you think i give a damn about being the first to do anything you are very wrong i could give a ****. This is for the other guys that think out side of the box....or get a mail order tune like i state before. I am in the process of installing the th350 right now....when that project is complete I will start gathering parts to complete this swap and I will start a new thread detailing what parts i use and all. Im sure I will get some negative comments on it and thats fine but I believe that some will get some good information from it. Hopefully this thread has helped some people minus all the bs about mail order tunes and old combination's that are supposed to not work. So only time will tell and im hoping in a few months to have some finally numbers to give out as to how the new set up will work. Also I appreciate the input of you guys on here as you have made some valid points.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by black05stxjt
Im still trying to figure out how you people think that there would be no change in this combination a carb when its been proven millions of times that carbs make more power than efi. But im sure those motors on dynos didn't have a mail order tune lmao
You've GOT to be kidding...right?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Useful information on a pointless subject matter? Your original question in that thread proves you know NOTHING about fuel injection and nothing about distributors, so why are you in this thread trying to disagree with the people who do know?
I never claimed to know anything. Did you see me say that? No, you didn't. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm saying that you all give no info relevant to the thread. You throw out what he should do instead of doing what he asked for info on. It's a simple concept this website doesn't comprehend.

ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION FIRST, then go on about what you think he should do. I'm in this thread because CLEARLY I want info. Not the same rhetoric you all regurgitate constantly.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You've GOT to be kidding...right?
Oh look another mail order tune guy to jump in. Glad you don't agree im sure you.could order another comment while you are at it.hahaha this is just a joke but what if every body posted that mail.order tunes were junk would you still run? How bout you go let warren johnson or any other high end car know that they are wasting there time too. Im sure a split dominator set up is junk right. Now i've state a number of times that im.not trying to bash efi or mail order tunes. I had a 05 gt with a bama tune and it ran.great so i know about tunes and stuff. So any other input by all means let me.know
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh look another mail order tune guy to jump in. Glad you don't agree im sure you.could order another comment while you are at it.hahaha this is just a joke but what if every body posted that mail.order tunes were junk would you still run? How bout you go let warren johnson or any other high end car know that they are wasting there time too. Im sure a split dominator set up is junk right. Now i've state a number of times that im.not trying to bash efi or mail order tunes. I had a 05 gt with a bama tune and it ran.great so i know about tunes and stuff. So any other input by all means let me.know
I didn't come in here with an attitude saying carbs were junk, but on the street, in a modern car on a modern motor, fuel injection offers more flexibility, better throttle response, and more equal distribution of fuel. Carbs have their advantages too, no doubt, as they can support huge amounts of power. But in this case, you aren't "Warren Johnson" or have a "split dominator" setup. For your application, IMO, fuel injection is a better fit.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
For your application, IMO, fuel injection is a better fit.
While true if you were him, that doesn't mean he's comfortable with computers enough to do that type of tuning. He is capable of carb tuning, so that's what he wants to do.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

While true if you were him, that doesn't mean he's comfortable with computers enough to do that type of tuning. He is capable of carb tuning, so that's what he wants to do.
....hence the "IMO." If he is dead-set on going carb, by all means go for it.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Im not trying to bash any set up here. I think that if y'all would do.some research on the 6010 box that y'all would see how flexible it really its. Much more than you standard dizzy and has all the tunning features of a efi system just with a carb instead of injectors.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

so you want to fiddle with "tuning" an ignition system now?

crank trigger: 250
crank trigger distributor: 200
msd 6al-2 programmable box : 310
msd blaster hvc-II coil : 155
Plug wires: 80

Total: <$1000

The install would take you a few hours, no digging around junkyards finding used parts. It would plenty of ignition until you're making over 1000hp, and the box has more features than the 6010 you're in love with. You could also just run an optispark with it, and not worry about the distributor, that'd be unique...
Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

The 6al-2 is the same price as the 6010 and they both do the same thing so that's a wash. With the 6010 is all plug and play with the 24x kit. Im still looking at all the options and still not sure if i will do the swap or not as i said its just an idea right now
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally thought it was an interesting idea because I have a couple LT1's, many SBC's including some Vortec engines, and many BBC's, as well as an LS2 long block including coils but not the intake/inj/TB/PCM/Harness.
I figure for a strip only setup, it might be easy to run a carb, the 6010, and (on the LTX, SBC,&BBC the 24x parts) or just plug and play on the LS2.
Surely I wouldn't be swapping engines like changing underwear, BUT I am already going to be running the LS engine carb'd with the 6010 as a mild/spare motor in an older car...so I'd already have the box and coils/wires. I also have plenty of carb stuff already too. The idea of running an LT with a carb without cutting the cowl for the dist, and being able to also easily swap to an old school SBC in the same 4th Gen using the same box and other parts sounds like not such a bad one to me.

Again, not saying EFI isn't great.....just has it's places. If I were the OP and planned on staying with the same or similar set-up then "I" would just keep the LT1 efi and ignition. I've often thought of swapping efi to some of my older cars, but then you get into having to learn to tune it (time is precious for a single father with custody of 3 kids and full time job) as well as spending alot on expensive injectors.

I personally know people who run crank trigger ignitions, and while they are bad ***, you couldn't easily go from home brewed LT1 crank trigger using opti to GEN1 sbc crank trigger without alot of spare parts, plus you still have the dist in the back on the old sbc OR a very expensive front mount belt drive dist. conversion to buy. Also, I have learned that the more parts that can be replaced with stock (sitting on the parts shelf in town or in the junkyard) the easier it is on me. Not that I don't love aftermarket parts.....but it's alot easier to find OEM sensors and coils when one goes out than crank trigger parts. Same goes for aftermarket efi stuff.

Like the OP said above, this may be something I would never go through with, but it is an interesting idea. I would like to know if it would work. I think it would.

Last edited by 1961ba427; 09-30-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I actually talked to mike@evi connection today and he said ir would be a straight forward swap for any one to do.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually talked to mike@evi connection today and he said ir would be a straight forward swap for any one to do.
Guess that would have been the easy thing to do from the start....just call and ask BUT I am glad/thankful you asked on here first because I hadn't thought of the possibility.

Quick Reply: Got a crazy idea let me know what you think