LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Excessive crankcase pressure/PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I had never really thought about it before, but after pulling off the top of the TB and seeing basically no where for the air to come in at, I think this is probably the problem (I hope). I plan on upgrading to a 58mm TB and ported intake in the spring anyway, so I don't think getting rid of the airfoil is going to be a problem for me. I just hope that it helps the PCV system out by removing it.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, so I removed the air foil and put the stock fresh air line back in. Driving around it seemed like it was working great, even part throttle and lower RPM WOT was ok, but once I did some WOT high RPM runs, most notibly in 2nd and 3rd gear, it once again spit the dipstick tube out. So now I'm back to running a breather setup for now.

I do have an idea that may help bleed off the pressure at WOT while keeping the system sealed, tell me what you guys think:

I still have the 'donkey dong' silencer on my intake elbow, so what about running a hose from each valve cover, into a catch can, then a larger single line out into around 1/3 way from the bottom of the "dong"? This way the incoming air for the PCV at high vacuum conditions comes metered and after the MAF just as in the stock setup.
Then when at WOT, when the excess crank pressure builds up, it has 2 lines, one on each side of the engine to vent out of into the catch can to catch the larger oil particles then out through a larger single line into the lower part of the 'dong' so that any remaining oil particles would have trouble traveling up the dong, and the remaining crank gas goes back into the intake tract, keeping the system sealed. Just as stock, just uses the silencer instead of the TB.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a plan. Even though your problem is weird for a NA setup.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just keeping this one alive to hear what happens. i'm also thinking rings are a strong possibility.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Went back to the breather for now, with Xmas here I can't spend the extra $ on the car yet. With the breather it is running great at WOT and the dipstick hasn't so much as flinched.

I'm still going to try the dual lines from valve covers to catch can to intake silencer (dong) and see how well it works. I'm optimistic about it, I think it should work well. The only thing I'm worried about is when I switch to either RamAir or Lid setup, if tapping a line into the coupler would work the same way or not?

Quick Reply: Excessive crankcase pressure/PCV question