LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Winter Budget Build: 355ci AFR LE H/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 93s are good intake manifolds, lot of guys have used them in the past. I ditched the batch fire when we did the LSX PCM and it works fine with the stock 93 fuel rails. Your stock 94+ fuel lines how ever wont work since they attach in the back where as the 93s attach up front. I would call speed inc and order one of their fuel line relocation kits to work with this. There is a guy on here who got their kit to work on his 93 with some modd to the rail so you would have to search on here and do some thing like that.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will lose more in downgrading your heads then you will gain from 1 point of compression.

It is only a few percent per point - on a small cammed street car you will not miss the slightly higher CR.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I agree with Puck. I think you would be better off with more than 10.4:1 AND the heads you already have, but I wouldn't downgrade heads to gain compression. With your short duration camshaft due to emissions.....I'd stick with the heads you have, run thin head gaskets, and enjoy. I believe that at most you would be losing 15 HP with your lower compression. Sure, noone wants to give up any HP/TQ, but I'd work with what you already have if it were me. Think of all the money you can save towards future mods by being able to run on 87 octane all the time and save 20 cents a gallon. lol
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The numbers out of these heads are awesome thats why i picked them up not thinking about the bigger CC's. I really dont want to get rid of them but at the same time i hear two different storys. One is im overheaded/undercammed and sell the heads for a bump in compression or slightly mill what i got and keep them and still make good power vs down grading in a port work. Like i said in the first post i wanted a street driver that wasnt brutal on fuel but will still make great power and torque on the street. Ive seen a couple threads in here with guys running stock shortblocks with this cam on top of using ported stockers and LE2s making 390-422rwhp. Which is amazing for such a mild cam. If i can fetch 400rwhp with the heads i would gladly keep them but selling what i got and to a set of decent flowing ported stockers or and LE2 head will bump the compression and definetly put the numbers down.

Im torn
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Plug for www.advancedinduction.com. They are also a top performer for ported stock castings.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

im agreeing with puck. keep the heads if u want the compression get them milled itd be about $250 to get the heads and intake done. if this is a car that ur street driving probably wont take to the track then ul be fine how it is it'll make power and be a nice street car even if ur leavin power on the table. if you keep the heads u have decent heads for a possible later build.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I doubt you'll eclipse ~350whp, if that.
Now you are just being silly Joe.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine hasn't been on a dyno or the track yet (waiting on some tires...only been driving it a few months) but I was predicted 300 to 315 rwhp for my nearly full bolt-on M6 car by alot of people on this forum. The last little bit depending on me installing 1.6rr and lt4 springs I already have, and getting a tune. These numbers seem to be supported by other bolt-on cars I've read about.
If those AFR's, ported intake, and a "small" cam - THAT'S STILL MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK - aren't worth more than 35 to 50 more rwhp then I think I'd rather just leave my lt1 stock and put any extra hot rodding cash into my old big block.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well shortblock was dropped off yesterday to my speed shop. Looks as though from the builders point of view the block was not decked but he will know for sure next week sometime when it comes apart. Might have to actually part with the heads if this is the case or might be able to use a thin gasket now. One thing ive learned it sucks trying to build an engine while learning all the different things that go into it to make it work right. I guess thats why you pay the big bucks to have something built for you so you dont have to do all the calculations and parts buying Its fun but at the same time very frustrating and stressful haha. What do you think i could fetch for my AFRs? Freshly blasted and cleaned up with a valve job, new seals, slightly milled and cleaned up. Bolt on and go. PM me please if you choose to make an opinion.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

A little update on hows things are progressing...

The bottom end is all back together and refreshed. Looks as though when the previous owner had the short put together they didnt make sure any of the clearances or gaps were done and essentially slapped together and dropped in the whole. Needless to say im happy to report that nothing was seriously damaged. We put new main and cam bearings in, new rings set to take a little spray , polished & cut the crank to spec, deglazed the bores, new gaskets, new frost plugs, and a fresh coat of paint! Everything is now fresh and all the specs and gaps are 100% correct this time around. Cam arrived on friday and will be dropping that off to the engine shop aswell to get my heads milled to 60cc to bring everything up to 11:1. Will have pics tomorrow of the short when the cam goes in!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
A little update on hows things are progressing...

The bottom end is all back together and refreshed. Looks as though when the previous owner had the short put together they didnt make sure any of the clearances or gaps were done and essentially slapped together and dropped in the whole. Needless to say im happy to report that nothing was seriously damaged. We put new main and cam bearings in, new rings set to take a little spray , polished & cut the crank to spec, deglazed the bores, new gaskets, new frost plugs, and a fresh coat of paint! Everything is now fresh and all the specs and gaps are 100% correct this time around. Cam arrived on friday and will be dropping that off to the engine shop aswell to get my heads milled to 60cc to bring everything up to 11:1. Will have pics tomorrow of the short when the cam goes in!
Sounds good!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Puck! Glad you guys made me stick with the heads im sure they will not disappoint when i get her running in the spring
Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well dropped the cam off to the engine shop and should be back together in the next couple days to bring home. On a rather shitty note my heads need some work the tech pulled them apart to find some badly worn guides and what was supposed to have a valve guide is non existent. So it will cost me another couple hundred bucks to get them fixed and ready to rock. On a side note heads were cc'd and were right around 60cc so they have been milled alot more then previous owner thought thinking they were sitting around 64cc's. So in this case the money i was going to spend on milling them is going into the new valve guides and valve job.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see I'm not the only one with bad luck. Better to find out now than to have to pull the thing apart again. It'll be sweet when its done!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Sucks to hear, but at least you found out before everything was put together.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it'll be a good performer... for the intended useage I'm not sure why everyone was ******* on the OP. It would have been silly to sell those heads for a point of compression
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
I think it'll be a good performer... for the intended useage I'm not sure why everyone was ******* on the OP. It would have been silly to sell those heads for a point of compression
You know how people get on the internet .
Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flame
Glad to see I'm not the only one with bad luck. Better to find out now than to have to pull the thing apart again. It'll be sweet when its done!
Yeh Dan your not the only one that has been having fun building LTx's and im sure Leroy can attest to that too lol! Just getting the shortblock together and ill sit on the heads untill after the new year as the bills are catching up to me and xmas is just around the corner. Once the heads are done ill grab a clutch and save for spring when it all goes together for some tunning when its running.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Engine is done for now as i wasnt expecting to have to put more cash into the heads or new parts. Plan is go to back it after xmas once the car fund can get started again. Here's some pics when i was there today dropping off my engine stand so he can store away for me and use the stand again.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update picked up an EWP and heading down to summit in the next couple weeks to pick up a new MSD cap n rotor kit, msd wires, ls7, lifters, and head gaskets! More pics as soon as the stuff starts coming in.

Quick Reply: Winter Budget Build: 355ci AFR LE H/C