LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Underdrive pully low voltage

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive pully low voltage

Ok so I put the system on at 1st put both the crank and Alt pully on with a very low output of voltage. So I just put the crank pully on. Better but still the same output. So I thought maybe my Alt was **** so i changed it...well a week later I fried it and just put my stock system back on. I miss it!! Has anyone else had this problem and this is normal or am I missing something?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The purpose of the overdrive pulley is to make up for the slower turning acessories, you have another issue somewhere
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right but wouldnt it make it make faster? I thought the idea was to slow down the ALT so it dont fry but instead it slowed it down to much. The only other thing im running is a 12 and a 250w amp. Other kits I've seen just had the crank pully. Maybe the type or size could be thee issue maybe? Or belt isnt the right size? Both pullys ran a 60 inch just the crank 59.25'
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never had that problem with my cars but my buddy did and we could never figure out why and we both had the same pulley
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by czechnuts
Right but wouldnt it make it make faster? I thought the idea was to slow down the ALT so it dont fry but instead it slowed it down to much. The only other thing im running is a 12 and a 250w amp. Other kits I've seen just had the crank pully. Maybe the type or size could be thee issue maybe? Or belt isnt the right size? Both pullys ran a 60 inch just the crank 59.25'
No, it is to speed it up to normal speed. If you just run the crank pulley your voltage should drop to high 12s because your accessories are turning slower. All the overdrive pulley does is spin the alternator like it would be with the stock pulley, keeping the volts in the high 13s. If the belt is tight it is ok, the kit should have a part number for what belt to use.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

March claims their O/D pulley turns 15% faster than stock when the U/D-O/D pulley are used together.
Originally Posted by czechnuts
Right but wouldnt it make it make faster? I thought the idea was to slow down the ALT so it dont fry but instead it slowed it down to much.
No. The alternator has a regulator so it will not fry. There are other accessories to take into consideration than just the alt. However IMO you did the right thing by taking them off. Stock is just fine unless you are trying to eek out 1hp here and there...

Quick Reply: Underdrive pully low voltage