LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ran my 95 Firehawk tonight at Atco

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
275-40-17's are the tire size. I think they are Yokohama tires. Dont know for sure and the car is in my storage unit. Atco is in South NJ. It was in the 40's last night. I am sure the car was wheel spinning as well.
Google your tire model and check what the tread wear rating is. My old 275 BFG G-force KD's had a wear rating of 180 or 200 I think and those were great tires (very sticky for a non drag radial). My current Firehawk SZ50EP's are like 340-350+ wear rated and they are so damn hard. They suck at the track.

Your ET of 13.66 is excellent for your car, and any 60' time under 2 sec on street tires is good. However I'd question why your trap speeds are barely over 100 MPH... that seems a couple mph low.

And RE: the LS1 swap comment - who here really took that out of nowhere remark seriously? Who in their right mind with a numbered Firehawk would break that up to put in an LS1 engine? (someone who maybe couldn't afford an LS1 Firehawk????)

I love the LT1 F-bodies for their engines as much as the styling. You firechicken guys arguably had better looking LS1 based cars to compare but for the Camaro's, after 97, those things looked like bigger 2-door chevy malabu's or monte carlos from the same years. Damn those lights were ugly. I would never bastardize my 95 Z with an LSx motor or any other engine b/c I love my car for what it is, and personally feel any other mill doesn't belong in there. I'd sooner buy an uglier 98+ car.

If I were building some race car and stripping it down and towing it to and from the track on a trailer, maybe then I'd piece together some Frankensteiner fbody with little concern for why type of engine went into it. When I was planning and putting together my new stroker motor I wanted my engine to have 2 important things: it had to have an optispark, and it had to have a factory LT intake manifold. Call me old school but I love it.

Speaking of old school, you LT1 Pontiac guys should dig this:

Last edited by DVS LT1; 06-14-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk584
why do you have a t/a bumper on your '95 Formula Firehawk?
If you look on his fquick site in his sig it says, he got it that way and plan's to swap back to formula bumper and firehawk hood.

Last edited by LT1; 11-04-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk584
and saying it looked slow where in reality those times are right on par with a factory SLP Firehawk and an assumed non-professional race car driver. his #599 in White w/ red leather is 1of 20 crazy rare &, not everyone knows what a Firehawk is
edit! edit! edit! (http://firehawkowners.com/gallery/v/firehawk/1995/0599)
why do you have a t/a bumper on your '95 Formula Firehawk?
Thats the way we bought it. The car was hit in the front end back in 1998 and they totaled the car out. The owner bought it back and could not find a new Firehawk hood and I guess liked the look of the T/A bumper. So he put the T/A bumper and WS6 hood for replacement. Dont know why they totaled the car since the airbags did not deploy, the frame was not damaged. We have a Formula bumper for it but it is in red. My wife and I are waiting until we find a Firehawk hood to assemble the car back to stock and get it repainted. We bought the car August 2009 and the owner was going to turn it in for the cash for clunkers program. The car only had 68,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted by slick1851
LPE makes a baby cam thats a bit bigger than the Lt4 and alot better

Also has a factory like idle

The classic small crane cam is also a nice choice

Theirs also a few other options out there

I really wouldn't waste my time messing with a strand lt4 cam
Thanks for the info. Thats something to checkout.

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Your ET of 13.66 is excellent for your car, and any 60' time under 2 sec on street tires is good. However I'd question why your trap speeds are barely over 100 MPH... that seems a couple mph low.
:
I was wonderring the same with the MPH. Was looking to get a 102-103mph. I think I am going to change the Sparkplugs and sparkplug wires. They look a little old. The car has no check engine lights on and passes the snifer test for a NJ State inspection.. I kept the car in Drive and had the performance shift button on for the tranny.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

gotcha... so yeah! uber rare Firehawk! front bumpers aren't firehawk specific, keep an eye out on ebay and firehawk.org for hoods though
Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those times look normal to me, especially for being in the fall at atco. If anything I would expect it to trap a bit higher but who knows how efficient that converter is.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Launching!

did anyone catch the fact that ths car was rescued from the auto-**** cash for clunkers program? DAMN YOU OBAMA YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!! good rescue, saved the car from stupidity. wonder what kind of automotive heaven that rat-bastard stole from us with his worthless, ineffective, dishonest "environmental" program.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by YodiBrodi
did anyone catch the fact that ths car was rescued from the auto-**** cash for clunkers program? DAMN YOU OBAMA YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!! good rescue, saved the car from stupidity. wonder what kind of automotive heaven that rat-bastard stole from us with his worthless, ineffective, dishonest "environmental" program.
Couldnt see this car go into a program like that. Besides my wife always wanted a Firebird so she got Her and my dream with a Firehawk!!

Quick Reply: Ran my 95 Firehawk tonight at Atco