LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, if that is your budget & you are considering longtubes there are a couple things you should know.

1) you are gonna need to to convert it to heated 02 sensors. 93's didn't have heated ones & when you move those bad boys to the collectors on longtubes they wont get hot enough to operate correctly. http://www.fastbirdperf.com/93-97F-Body/93HeatedO2.htm that's a link to a guy that sells a simple harness to do it.

2) egr fittings are different on 93's so if you want your emissions stuff you gotta get 93 specific headers (not easy to find). If you decide to go to the race style w/o those fittings you are going to have to buy a tune to to prevent the SES light from coming on.

3) both of those things are going to put you over your budget $65 for the conversion harness + $47 each for AC Delco 02's at rockauto.com (cheapest place I could find them) + $???? on tune is going to put you way over.

Don't want to discourage the idea, but just wanted you to know what you are getting into. It would also be foolish not to replace plugs/wires while you are at it.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

if you got any other questions about all the weird things involving 93's let me know. You'd be surprised how many quirks there are for that year
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

off the top of my head, if you change gears you HAVE to use a speed recalibrator box from either SLP (not made anymore) or dakota. you CANT change the speedo from the PCM. Fuel pressure regulator is different, fuel lines/intake manifold is different, you didn't mention if you are a 6 speed or auto (there were 2 different gearing setups for 6 speeds in 93 & they are different than the 94-97's) the gauge cluster requires you to eliminate a tach filter near the coil if you ever have to replace it with a 94-97 unit (the digital 97 clusters also require you to block off a couple of light that come on, I believe the traction and seat belt lights) the steering wheel controls wont work if you put a 95+ cd player in it (the wiring is different), sensors in the block are located in different places, throttle body is specific to 93 if you get an aftermarket one due to the transmission being a 700r4 & not the electronic 4l60e version & as someone mentioned before the PCM requires using a chip to change tunes & engine functions vs a handheld flash programmer or laptop.

those are what I can think of off the top of my head, but I am sure I am missing some
Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

consider an exhaust cutout. you can get them for like $35 from summit & will make alot more power than the flowmaster. you can even get an electronic cutout that lets you open/close it from inside the car. thats gonna be a pretty good band for your buck. if you go ahead and get a tune you will want to swap out the thermostat with a 160 deg unit.

Whenever you do a mod, keep in mind all the extra costs associated with doing it...
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93TAyellow
Has anyone heard of this problem. My code reader can't comuicate with my ecm and I don't know why it does this could it be the hypertech chip in it.
that shouldn't do it. search the board and you can find out how to use a paperclip to jump two connectors in a 93 and the SES light will blink in patterns & tell you what codes are present.

Quick Reply: need help!!!