LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCM woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM woes

So par for the course, I'm away from home and my car acts up, it wont start, I thought it was the knock sensor, I got that code a couple of weeks back while dataloging after loading a new tune, I have datamaster and tunercats. So I replaced the knock sensor and started it up and started filling the cooling system and it dies, so I figured the pcm didn't clear the codes, so I unhooked the battery for about 10 mins and it still didn't start. Long story short I had to have my mom bring my laptop and setup to me, around 200 miles round trip, and it turns out I got a code 51, PROM/EEPROM error, and the dreaded 16, Ignition low resolution pulse not detected. I tried loading my stock tune and it still didn't want to start, figured it was worth a shot.

So now my questions are, dose this mean that my pcm is toast, and I'm getting the code 16 because the pcm is toast, or is it just my opti is on its way out too? It was always my understanding that thats what that code meant.

Also, if I need to replace the pcm, would you guys trust a parts store pcm? I know its not ideal, but I need to get the car home and at the most I'm driving it for a few weeks and then putting it up for the winter, so this can be a band-aid until spring, when I will be driving it again.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Parts store PCM's are fine, except the ones from Autozone "used to need flashing by the dealership" and they cannot bench flash it, they need the car, but I heard Orielly sells them flashed already, sounds like its only your opti.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Well I have tunercats and my stock tune, but from what I've been reading code 51 when the car is running means the pcm is toasted? I'm gonna see if it will start again here in a min and see if I get any codes again.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

51 can cause a no start condition like 16. so you could have an opti AND a PCM issue
whether it is salvageable or not i do not know.
all the pcms i got from advance auto (remanufactured) could be flashed from tuner cat without any need for a dealership.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I started it up and its running fine, I did get a code for the ks grounded, it will cut out every now and then, but it will start back up, so I'm going to drive it home and probably put it up for the winter, I'm sick of the reliability issues for this year, I may replace the ks wire harness but that's it for this year. By spring I'm going to do at least an opti and a water pump.
Thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply: PCM woes