LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dear god help, fresh rebuild water in the oil on initial startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dear god help, fresh rebuild water in the oil on initial startup

I don't know what could have happened. Here's what I know. Fresh lt1 rebuild, all machine work and magnaflux done on the block by respectable shop. All new bearings rods and pistons, water pump oil pump, timing chain. No metal flakes in the oil, it had pressure almost instantly. The heads are 374 ported castings, they were not milled but they were checked for flatness and given the ok.
I had a problem torquing the heads, I used factory bolts but the manual was a little unclear in the actual passes. Anyway the heads should have had sufficient torque, I fired it up for the first time and ran it for about 20 seconds and shut it off, checked the stick and I saw white streaks. I drained the pan and it was all milky white.
How could water invade the crank case that quickly. The car did sit outside while I finished bolting the pulleys and other little things on. The motor was assembled inside my house. Could that be enough time for a serious amount of moisture the build up.
Please just throw something out there, the machine shop is also stumped. Is it possible for a lifted head to dump that much water in less than 30'seconds
Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_paco2010
I don't know what could have happened. Here's what I know. Fresh lt1 rebuild, all machine work and magnaflux done on the block by respectable shop. All new bearings rods and pistons, water pump oil pump, timing chain. No metal flakes in the oil, it had pressure almost instantly. The heads are 374 ported castings, they were not milled but they were checked for flatness and given the ok.
I had a problem torquing the heads, I used factory bolts but the manual was a little unclear in the actual passes. Anyway the heads should have had sufficient torque, I fired it up for the first time and ran it for about 20 seconds and shut it off, checked the stick and I saw white streaks. I drained the pan and it was all milky white.
How could water invade the crank case that quickly. The car did sit outside while I finished bolting the pulleys and other little things on. The motor was assembled inside my house. Could that be enough time for a serious amount of moisture the build up.
Please just throw something out there, the machine shop is also stumped. Is it possible for a lifted head to dump that much water in less than 30'seconds
this may sound like a dumb question but are you sure that it is water???
Old 11-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Well I think it's water. I assembled the motor with Lucas assembly lube and motor honey. I also put Lucas beak in additive. But none of those things are even remotely white and the oil came out a few different colors. The last little bit had some brown streaks but mostly milky white.
When I torqued the heads I did my first pass at 20 pounds and then did the 80 and 67 degree pass but the center bolt felt almost loose so I had to check them. I put a torque wrench on them at 65 foot pounds and the bolts closest to the center turned almost a quarter turn. The bolts to the outside of the head were much tighter.
So on the second head I made several passes at 20 foot pounds and made sure all the bolts were at 20'before I started the angle torque pass. So which did I do right and which was wrong?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should of done 20 40 65 on the heads all in sequence. i have a feeling you warped a head from improper torquing
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Could a warped head really dump that much water in a couple seconds. It seems like it shouldn't even turn over if the leak was that bad
Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you said the heads were ported? Did they hit water? A compression check with no water in your engine might be able to tell you if any of the cylinder have a hole in them. Also if you end up taking the heads off, get them pressure tested, or rig up a fixture yourself. There could be cracks, valve seats might be too deep (into the water), porting might have hit water.

Was your block clearanced? Did they hit water? Did the block have a crack?

If it isn't that then it is the head gasket.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

The block was not clearanced and it was magnafluxed so I think I can rule that out. I waited until about 20 mins before I tried to start it to put the coolant in the block so it's not like it seeped in slowly
Old 11-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Did you use sealant on the head bolts? Or did you use the Fel-Pro pre-sealed headbolts? I used those damn pre sealed Fel-pro heabolts and ended up rolling a the bearing so bad it chewed the block up...

Hence LS1 swap in Camaro
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Do an oil/filter change and try it again. Forget any of those additives, just use good old dino oil. RUN it for more than 20 seconds. Note what appears at the tail pipes. Listen for noise.

I hope all is well.

Additives usually make the oil aerate, or foam up. You do not want this.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 11-11-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would top off the cooling system and put the cooling system under pressure and start searching for where it is leaking in the engine. I f you got that much in 30second 5 psi on the cooling system should have it filling the oil pan in minutes.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Did you use sealant on the head bolts? Or did you use the Fel-Pro pre-sealed headbolts? I used those damn pre sealed Fel-pro heabolts and ended up rolling a the bearing so bad it chewed the block up...

Hence LS1 swap in Camaro
Head bolts.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Factory felpros. Im going to switch to arp torque style. Im more interested in the torque sequence. If I know I made a mistake somewhere I can pin point the problem
Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Do a leakdown. That will tell you exactly what you need to know.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gen1 head gasket on a GenII engine.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Gen1 head gasket on a GenII engine.
That's a good question what head gasket are you using and how thick is it...
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Gasket is a cometic mls .040. It's the correct gasket
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

What did you clean the oil pan with, We use challenger once and rinsed it a few times but the oil looked milkly and it was from the challenger
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The MLS gaskets are great, but to use them you should mill the heads smooth. The Felpro is a more forgiving gasket when it comes to heads that have not been milled. It sounds to me like you just didn't torque the heads properly. I suggest you take them off, clean things up and check for damage, then replace the gaskets and try again. Make sure you clean out the bolt hole threads. I prefer torquing to the angle wrench method, it's tried and true and I have never had a problem with it.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Im running that same gasket.. if it is not sealing you need to run that motor so the heads can heat up to seal them real nice... and if you bent them in any way you are going to have a problem and i hope you did not cut the tab that holds them together if so buy somemore
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Any suggestions on how to best flush the oil pan and stuff. I really don't want to damage my new bearings. I didn't clean the oil pan it was hot tanked at the shop that did the block so it was totally dry when I got it

Quick Reply: Dear god help, fresh rebuild water in the oil on initial startup