LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whats the reason for the EGR delete???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the reason for the EGR delete???

Ok guys everybody seems to have this EGR delete done to their cars but me. Whats the reason for it? My teacher said i probably wouldn't gain any horsepower by doing it and that my combustion chamber temps might be higher causing pre-ignition problems. So now I ask you guys whats the reason for the EGR delete?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Launching!

visit www.shbox.com

I did it because its ulgy.(i removed the AIR too) the pipes running on the headers. LT4 does not come with it due to the cam that allready has the overlap so you wont need it. I you do a lt4 hotcam (or another cam similar or higher). you wont need it. I you do it you have to get a tune or you are going to get SES light (not on all cars).

Its up to you and what mods you have. i heard that running wothout it it could cause detonation. I have no problem so far. Its up to you. just visit shbox and read
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm deleting it this weekend because the egr is prone to failure and causes a rough running car right in your normal operating rpm range.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

it also cleans up the engine compartment.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lot of people say it causes intake manifold oil leak because of the hot pipe runs behind the intake manifold. I mostly deleted it to make more room and clear up the space, and my long tube headers look nicer with out EGR pipe running to it

This is the direct link to shbox site for EGR operation.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_EGR.html
Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your teacher is right. On a stock cam you will get more heat and higher NOx. But with and aftermarket cam that hasoverlap there is a slight cooling effect. I only deleted mine because I didn't feel like buying a pipe to run from the headers I installed to the manifold. I also ditched the air pump to get rid of some dead weight.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

So whats the final decision? Are you saying its personal opinion.... cause personally i think its ugly. I guess i could always add it back too if needed but i dont plan on that.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

u should never need it again lol.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason it causes hotter cylinder temps on stock cams is because the fuel mixture is more pure. You have deleted carbon monoxide gas from the fuel mixture which acts as a retardant. If you desensitize the knock sensor through a tune and have a power tune done then maybe you pick something up by deleting it but hardly worth tring to measure since the power tune will make the most difference.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Well i wont pick up power but i think a nice set of aluminum valve covers without a tube sticking out the top will look better.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by killerz97
Well i wont pick up power but i think a nice set of aluminum valve covers without a tube sticking out the top will look better.
That tube has nothing to do with the EGR. That's part of the PCV system.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by killerz97
So whats the final decision? Are you saying its personal opinion.... cause personally i think its ugly. I guess i could always add it back too if needed but i dont plan on that.
Ugly? Maybe, but you can't even see the silly thing. It's hidden behind the intake manifold. Most people can't even find it, lol. How removing it "cleans up the engine bay" is beyond me.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
Ugly? Maybe, but you can't even see the silly thing. It's hidden behind the intake manifold. Most people can't even find it, lol. How removing it "cleans up the engine bay" is beyond me.
I dont think he is only going to remove the EGR valve and the pipe, maybe he is also going to remove the AIR and the pipes on the exhaust manifold. I did all in one time, was not looking for any gains. And where i live there is no need for emision stuff in cars (the only thing the man looked under the hood is that my battery was straped)
Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

i noticed there is no wiring running to my egr system (obd1) do i still need a tune if i delete it?

sorry for the
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tricked94camaro
i noticed there is no wiring running to my egr system (obd1) do i still need a tune if i delete it?

sorry for the
If there is no wiring that thing is not working

no wiring?? there is a egr solenoid just in the area of the FPR is has 2 vacuum pipes (small) on it, that whats controls the egr valve. what you can do is measure the resistance at that solenoid and buy a resistor (very cheap at radioshack) and jump them. You can also remove the relay (fuse box) and see if you wont get an SES light (that if i remeber good or the relay is for the AIR kinda lazy to go look in my car now lol)
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I have a 95 lt1 and was told that year didnt come with the lt4?? But it has the lt4 conversion on it, so i will be fine to remove all that **** and just get a good tune???? I live out in So Cal, anyone know of a good place to go for a tune???
Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastredlt1
I have a 95 lt1 and was told that year didnt come with the lt4?? But it has the lt4 conversion on it, so i will be fine to remove all that **** and just get a good tune???? I live out in So Cal, anyone know of a good place to go for a tune???
whoever owned it before you probably just painted the intake red
Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by curacaoz28
If there is no wiring that thing is not working

no wiring?? there is a egr solenoid just in the area of the FPR is has 2 vacuum pipes (small) on it, that whats controls the egr valve. what you can do is measure the resistance at that solenoid and buy a resistor (very cheap at radioshack) and jump them. You can also remove the relay (fuse box) and see if you wont get an SES light (that if i remeber good or the relay is for the AIR kinda lazy to go look in my car now lol)
i say this because i see no female connectors on it like i have seen with other egr systems. i am probably wrong so pardon my ignorance for this is the first lt1 i am putting together.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Fastredlt1 call powertrain dynamics in Huntington beach and talk to Steve. He is THE BEST tuner in SC
Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Sorry i was referring to the tube for the PCV system

Quick Reply: Whats the reason for the EGR delete???