LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust lol...again

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Exhaust lol...again

I am over the crying raspy *** LM2 on my car. I'm running LT's with ORY on my 383 and I am liking how smooth some of the true dual setups sound. So looking for Ideas and how some of you either made them, had them made, Over the axel or not, or bought them from.

I am also liking how the magnaflow systems sound as they seem somewhat close to the tone the true duals sound on modded cars. The Y pipe is just killing the tone under slight to mild throttle.

Also has ANYONE modded their Loudmouth to sound decent after LT, ORY and engine mods? If so what did you do and I'm not talking about just swapping bullets as they are still to raspy for me I would like to have a rear exit as my wife and child will be in this thing from time to time.
If you have sound clips postum up. I have been through the sounds section but not that many modded LT1's in there and the LS cars have a different tone all their own.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a moroso muffler in place of the LM. But other mufflers can be install in its place. http://ls1sounds.com/borlamouth.htm
I guess you could install a factory type muffler in the factory location also.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by henry172
I used a moroso muffler in place of the LM. But other mufflers can be install in its place. http://ls1sounds.com/borlamouth.htm
I guess you could install a factory type muffler in the factory location also.
I looked at that moroso. Is that the one that is spiral flow or something? Post a clip if you got one.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Powerstick in the I pipe in my exhaust. I switched from an SLP Dual/Dual to a GMMG and drove it back home with only long tubes, Y pipe and the Powerstick and it sounded good! Gave it a good deep rumble and there was no rasp. It would sound good on a Loud Mouth! It's a true 3 inch through, it doesn't neck down on the inside so it shouldn't be restrictive.

Here is their link http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i feel your pain on the Y pipe, it just makes every F body sound the same at WOT, IMO duals or dual cutouts is the only way to go, on my old LS1 i ran 2.5 inch with an H pipe and long 28" glasspacks, it actually sounded rediculous and not too bad at crusing.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are figuring out what I figured out when I had the LT's, ORY and Borla catback. Light throttle, low load sounds like **** especially around 2K RPM.

This is the reason I went TD's. All those ill sounds from the ORY are history. I resonator or chambered muffler in the I pipe will help some.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

hmmmmmm........ I may try some of what you guys are talking about before I ditch the LM totally but in the end I think I will end up with TD but I want to run them out the back. I may just have to just get a watts link so I can do that lol (i know you don't need it but here so cool) Post some pics of your setups or sound clips so I can get a feel for them PLEASE
Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

See my sig.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaycenk
I looked at that moroso. Is that the one that is spiral flow or something? Post a clip if you got one.
Yes its the spiral flow moroso. I don't have a sound clip on it, but I can say it is a bit loud; it is slightly louder than my friends LS1 with long tube headers, true duals, on a ms4 cam. I think it sounds great, but true duals are the way to go. Here is a vid I found with someone running TD with moroso mufflers; mine is not as loud as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfhOFHk4JY4. Search youtube for moroso spiral flow, many people have posted exhaust clips of their moroso spiral flow mufflers.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
See my sig.
You built that on the car right? I wont have need for cut outs but I like the tone on the magna dual/dual. How much the pipes and stuff run you and where did you buy the pipe from? I'm guessing you just used Pre bent and cut to fit?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jaycenk
You built that on the car right? I wont have need for cut outs but I like the tone on the magna dual/dual. How much the pipes and stuff run you and where did you buy the pipe from? I'm guessing you just used Pre bent and cut to fit?
Yeah it was built on the car. I used all Magnaflow stainless mandrel bends that go for around $25 each on the net. Muffler is around $140 on the net IIRC. I got all this stuff at cost so I got the real good deal.

Total out of pocket for what you saw was around $800 but that was with the cutouts, tips, hangers, clamps everything. I sold My Borla for $550 or so that made the deal even sweeter. I even turned down one guy who was gonna give me $1500 for it all.

It was a lot of work but very much worth it in the end. Could not be more happy with the sound.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

I think thats the best sound on an LT1 I have heard so far, so if you don't mind I may try and copy that build. I am not going to use cut outs though as I never go to the track. Did you do it on a lift? I am going to have to find a way to do it on the ground lol should be a fun project for next year.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the compliment. I did it jackstands which sucked but worked. Copy all you like.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

if u dont wanna do the true duals, get rid of the slp resonator and swap it for a borla xr1 muffler. sounds sooo much nicer. usually gets referred as a ''borlamouth''.

Quick Reply: Exhaust lol...again