LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Turbo Cam -- Is This Good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABA383
I'm by no means an expert on turbo set ups but I do know that the Lingenfelter 219/219 cam was specifically designed by John to compliment the Accel Superram intake and work in the 383 N/A engine package as an upgrade from the ported stock intake and 211/219 cam for the 383 engine package. Even though LPE doesn't do any R&D with the LT platform anymore, they continue to build some very fast and durable turbo stuff...Might be worth shooting a call into them...

--Alan
The guy doing my shortblock machining and assembly worked for LPE for 13+ years, so he said that he discovered through doing a few B-Body F/I builds that the cam works well with boost. But I thought it was an odd recommendation myself.

As for that Comp XE cam, I saw that someone recommended that earlier in the thread, but based on the information Moe is stating, the split duration isn't the way I want to go when it comes to a turbo.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, so I just got off the phone with LPE, and talked to Ryan, and he said that they obviously didn't do too many boosted LT1s back in the day, but when they did, they used their 74220 cam (215/220 .534/.544 144 LSA). That sounds a little bit more appropriate. What do you guys think?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would contact one of the vendors here that CURRENTLY specialize in LT1s, like AI or LE. They do this stuff everyday.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
Okay, so I just got off the phone with LPE, and talked to Ryan, and he said that they obviously didn't do too many boosted LT1s back in the day, but when they did, they used their 74220 cam (215/220 .534/.544 144 LSA). That sounds a little bit more appropriate. What do you guys think?
I know you meant 114 LSA, with that moderate lift and low duration numbers you will make a lot of torque down low (that's where you want it) and will make a great DD on the street. You will probably peak out in the upper 5000 RPM range which is good for longevity of the motor..
Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, LMAO. Yeah, I meant 114 LSA. I type too fast for my own good sometimes.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go about cam selection a bit differently.

First, I'd decide on a power goal (realistic). Then, figure out what size turbo will best fit that power goal. After you do that, you will need to figure out the operating range where that turbo will be efficient on your engine, and then spec a cam that will compliment it as well as possible (coming "on the cam" at the same time as it "comes on boost") and provide as wide a torque range as possible.

Generally speaking, a turbo will want less valve overlap (more LSA) than a belt driven blower or especially an n/a engine for the same RPM range. When it is making power, there is always more pressure between the exhaust valve and the turbine wheel than there is between the compressor and the intake valve. This is one time it is really nice to have separate camshafts for the intake and exhaust valves, infinitely variable LSA!

Quick Reply: LT1 Turbo Cam -- Is This Good?