Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sick!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
intake air temperature does not correlate directly to combustion temperature at all.
so even talking IAT AT the throttlebody(or even in the manifold), turbo temp vs n20 temp... you're saying the temp difference there, will make 0 difference in combustion?

i'm not disputing i'm just asking. and a couple people mentioned how boost is all the time, what if it was a dedicated track car and literally only saw additional WOT passes for tuning? (same as n20)

we still saying it's mostly the pistons?

i guess it makes sense though, seeing how much more boost costs vs n20... that there isn't more experience. so theoretically, what's your thoughts if the LT1 had come stock with a different piston?

Edit: sry this wasn't All directed to you 05HD, just the first sentence.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltonenewbie
so even talking IAT AT the throttlebody(or even in the manifold), turbo temp vs n20 temp... you're saying the temp difference there, will make 0 difference in combustion?

i'm not disputing i'm just asking. and a couple people mentioned how boost is all the time, what if it was a dedicated track car and literally only saw additional WOT passes for tuning? (same as n20)

we still saying it's mostly the pistons?

i guess it makes sense though, seeing how much more boost costs vs n20... that there isn't more experience. so theoretically, what's your thoughts if the LT1 had come stock with a different piston?

Edit: sry this wasn't All directed to you 05HD, just the first sentence.
All I said was there is no difference in combustion temperature. Intake air temp has well documented effects on power output and preignition tendency. The higher the IAT, the more prone the engine is to abnormal combustion and the thinner the charge density. This needs to be accounted for in intercooling, tuning and fuel selection.

If somebody wants to sponsor me , I'd be happy to prove that a stock LT1 can take tons of boost and make tons of power for a long, long time. A turbo car needs to have a different tune up than a spray car and not many V8 guys have fooled around with enough turbo engines to know what they like. I have fooled around with plenty of turbo engines as well as nitrous engines and have seen it is all in the tune up and the fuel if you want a turbo engine to live a long happy life.

The difference between shitty pistons and good pistons is about 2 seconds worth of time when your engine is running wrong. When it is running right, piston material is next to meaningless.

Quick Reply: LT1: N20 vs Turbo discussion