LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTCC coil conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LTCC coil conversion

Anyone running this coil per plug conversion? There's been a lot of talk about efi24x, but i don't have deep pockets for it. This LTCC seems to be a better alternative. I know it still utilizes the opti, but I think only the optical part and the rotor is eliminated. Any feedback of install and results, pros and cons, likes and dislikes, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Butch, my buddy loves it but when he installed his nitrous he couldnt use his ltcc unless he opted out to spend about 700 on a new msd box. Which sux for a lot of people and Idk if you want to spend that much on a msd box? He switched to the opti and runs his nitrous but does miss his ltcc
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Butch, my buddy loves it but when he installed his nitrous he couldnt use his ltcc unless he opted out to spend about 700 on a new msd box. Which sux for a lot of people and Idk if you want to spend that much on a msd box? He switched to the opti and runs his nitrous but does miss his ltcc
Rob, for 700, must be a higher model MSD. Your buddy have more info on this?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club

I know Dyna spark has an opti designed just for this however I think it is fairly expensive....I looked into this vaguely..However, I was turned off quickly due to the fact you still need the optical unit of the opti to be in working condition.....
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
I know Dyna spark has an opti designed just for this however I think it is fairly expensive....I looked into this vaguely..However, I was turned off quickly due to the fact you still need the optical unit of the opti to be in working condition.....
He has dynaspark now and it failed him 2x already since new and he hates optis so bad that he cant wait to go back to ltcc. But he loves nitrous, so its eating him up everyday lol
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BOLO
Rob, for 700, must be a higher model MSD. Your buddy have more info on this?
I can ask him tomorrow and see if he remembers for ya
Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
He has dynaspark now and it failed him 2x already since new and he hates optis so bad that he cant wait to go back to ltcc. But he loves nitrous, so its eating him up everyday lol
Oh ok gotcha didn't realize he already had a Dynaspark....Mine failed pretty quickly on my car too...However my car is just one of those weird LT1 cars that EAT Optis....Well it did
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is very little advantage, IMO, in going with the LTCC setup. Even though you eliminate the cap/rotor from the equation, you still need the optical sensor to function properly (which has it's issues as well).

IMO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Launching!

To each their own. I have LTCC, no complaints, and prefer the throttle response over what my MSD 6AL was able to provide. In my 15 years of owning this car, I've not once had an opti fail due to the sensor which was enough evidence for me to give the LTCC a shot.

I will say that if the EFI 24x conversion had been available when I was making my decision, I probably would have gone that route but it is more costly. I think the tuning options make it a more attractive option in addition to completely ridding yourself of the opti.

I don't understand why the comment was made about needing an upgraded MSD box to run nitrous. I run LTCC and an FJO progressive controller and can't imagine what else might be needed. Just curious.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by garage_queen

I don't understand why the comment was made about needing an upgraded MSD box to run nitrous. I run LTCC and an FJO progressive controller and can't imagine what else might be needed. Just curious.
same here. what nitrous setup is he running rob?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

save your pennies for the 24x system. With that solid roller you should be wanting to max out the pcm's capabilities at some point down the road (maybe not right now with the stock bottom end)
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

The LS1 PCM will allow spark/fuel multipliers for nitrous.

Set parameters to apply spark/fuel multipliers.

Multiplier table applied to spark advance table.

Multipier table applied to fuel (VE) table.

EFILive download is free (sets to demo without registration...which is the source of the images provided above). You can check this out for yourself and see everything else EFILive has to offer for the LS1 PCM. The nitrous control is part of one of their custom operating systems (COS5) and is no additional cost.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, the LTCC setup will make your car run "better" but I don't believe with more power. It was one of the better upgrades I did when I had my ‘94 and today, I’d do it again if it wasn’t for the EFI Connections kit.

When moving to the LTCC setup, the rotor must still be retained as it secures the Opti wheel in place. Otherwise, high voltage will no longer run through the distributor and the stock ignition module can be removed.

The Dynaspark setup is still a stock style LT1 Opti Spark distributor but much more precisly made with upgraded components. Ultimately, it performs the exact same function as the stock unit. The pickup controls the PCM and the rotor/cap send the spark from the single coil to the correct cylinder.

I also do not understand why with nitrous, the LTCC kit wouldn’t work.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

it works just fine.

I'm thinking that he's not aware of other available options rather than going with some high dollar MSD box. By going LTCC you will lose the features from the MSD like the window switch, timing retard, etc which are all very much needed IMHO.

The LTCC has built in timing retard functionality and I went with an FJO progressive controller which provides the window switch functionality. I now have better spark, better nitrous control, and features available to support future mods.

I'll say it again though...if 24x were available at the time and I had the $$$, I would have gone that route and still thrown in the FJO controller.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

I have to bump this up.
I ran Delteq last LT1 car - we all know that saga.

I have another opti car now.
I run a 4L60E and seems the EFI Connection set up won't support my OBDI 95 trans.

Sooooooooooo - where is the LTCC sold, the install detailed? I already have a tune - need another after LTCC?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chief455
I have to bump this up.
I ran Delteq last LT1 car - we all know that saga.

I have another opti car now.
I run a 4L60E and seems the EFI Connection set up won't support my OBDI 95 trans.

Sooooooooooo - where is the LTCC sold, the install detailed? I already have a tune - need another after LTCC?
Mike@EFIconnection mentioned that as well when I inquired about their conversion kit. It may not work with the 94-95 4L60E. I may just be going w/a vented opti this time around.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

you won't need a new tune after the LTCC....Ran one years ago on a buddies 95. Works great, just watch the timing retard if you're gonna spray it....
Old 12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an LTCC but never installed it, I have the EFI Connections 24x setup now but IIRC the LTCC has the ability to retard the timing under boost/nitrous and it's adjustable.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BOLO
Mike@EFIconnection mentioned that as well when I inquired about their conversion kit. It may not work with the 94-95 4L60E. I may just be going w/a vented opti this time around.
It WILL not work with 94-95 4L60e's

I know from very costly personal experience
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
It WILL not work with 94-95 4L60e's

I know from very costly personal experience
if I read the tech correctly - we need to run a 96-97 4L60E in any 93-97 car for the EFI conversion.

I wonder if swapping the 96-97 internal selonoids and harness/plugs into the OBD 1 trans would make it work?...

Quick Reply: LTCC coil conversion