LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Install Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Similar lift here, I did 8501-bsbc, 1.6 NSA pro mags, 7/16" studs, gm guideplates and trickflow chromoly pushrods. No issues.
So... Max lift tells you nothing about how stable the valve train is going to be.

Originally Posted by trilkb
all of this was taken into consideration when i talked to LE and BRE when i was getting ready to purchase the camshaft.

Patriot golds installed at 1.780 is what i need. and also the high end comp ultra? pro mags. This cam swap isnt a weekend thing, the car its going into is a 2nd car that doesnt get drivin much at all.

Im sick of everyone telling me not to run this cam and that its gonna destroy my motor. Ive actually gotten PMS from people not wanting to post bad things in the thread. I originally wanted to run it because it was different, now i want to run it just to shut everyone up

there have been a few doubts, but there have also been ALOT of certaintys. Wrong parts used, parts installed incorrectly, those are certaintys that this cam will eat a valvetrain. Useing the correct parts, and paying the money for them, this cam wont have any issues. I may be going about it the hard way since i really wont make any more power then anyone else but im a big fan of doing things differently.

I appreciate all the info ive been givin and i hope i stll get great info, just tired of hearing the same thing about the camshaft not working. it works fine! just gotta use the right parts with it!
I never said it won't work or not to run it, I said make sure you have a solid valve train if you expect it to be reliable. The cam on stock heads is going to peak really high as well, requiring you to wind the **** out of the rpms to get decent performance, which makes a stable valve train even more important.

Of course you did say you wanted it for the sound..
Old 12-31-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Direct Sentence from LE

"It makes lots of mid range TQ and pulls to 6300 RPM with stock heads. As long as you have a 6 speed or a 3200/3600 stall and are OK with a choppy idle, it will work great."

6300 rpm isnt any higher then a cc503 would need to be revved.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://shbox.com/ci/cam_install.html
Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

^ lol yea i go there quite often.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Direct Sentence from LE

"It makes lots of mid range TQ and pulls to 6300 RPM with stock heads. As long as you have a 6 speed or a 3200/3600 stall and are OK with a choppy idle, it will work great."

6300 rpm isnt any higher then a cc503 would need to be revved.
If thats where it peaks you need to shift a few hundred rpm higher to recover off the shift the best.

Dont be surprised if you need to go 6500+. I shift my baby cam at 6400.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just giving you a parts break down and cost list...I don't have an opinion either way

If Lloyd thinks it will be good for you then game on...
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

na mattsapps...i appreciate everyones info. Just you know how it goes, one person says its a huge issue and the rest chime in. Atleast you gave a parts list! haha.

As far as shift points, we will just have to see i guess! i normally dont rev engines very high. Racing is a different story i guess. My driving habits off the track are quite lame though. I think a few people are taking stock short blocks to 6500ish tho?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 AM
9 Second Club

na mattsapps...i appreciate everyones info. Just you know how it goes, one person says its a huge issue and the rest chime in. Atleast you gave a parts list! haha.

As far as shift points, we will just have to see i guess! i normally dont rev engines very high. Racing is a different story i guess. My driving habits off the track are quite lame though. I think a few people are taking stock short blocks to 6500ish tho?
Oh yea I know what you mean....1 person says something and its like a domino effect...lol

If your not racing it every weekend shifting it less than 6500 it should live...
Hey even if it does let go you have a good reason to build something bigger and better

Matt
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

yea, that cam would be sick in a 383 with some ported heads . i beleive its a nitrous cam to, least it says "N20" on it! so make that a forged 383 with ported heads haha.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Yes the timing chain was on. 2 of the bolts just didnt want to thread in, almost like they were the wrong size. When one of them threaded all the way in no problem i just said screw it and used the socket to get the other 2 all the way in
Almost died laughing when I read this. In a good way......

Quick Reply: Cam Install Questions...