LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help! Broken elbow cause these???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Broken elbow cause these???

1994 Camaro Z28 LT1 350 6 speed

so i put a new thermostat in the 94 yesterday. for some reason i had a 180 in it but once i started moving down the road my Temp dropped so far i could no longer get heat in the car. thinking the thermo was stuck open.
anyway, my intake elbow has been on the edge of disaster for a while now, and it completely broken when i put it on. I've heard this is VERY common, breaking right at the TB connection.
So i was wondering, since then i get alot of backfiring and popping right when i first hit the gas, and then through the RPM range at WOT, as well as under load in high gear. could a broken elbow REALLY cause all of this????
Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm, idk if this helps but when i was working on my car, i forgot to put the elbow on all the way on the throttle body, it came off when i drove it and parked...i tried to start it and it wouldn't start...and when it did i would have to step on the gas to keep it going or else it would die, then i popped my hood and noticed that my intake was off lol. started up fine right after
Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

most likely. your mass air flow sensor thinks your bringing in "X" amount of air, but in reality your getting more than what the computer thinks.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

yea i figured a small leak at the TB would cause all kinds of problems.
Somebody just said to unplug the MAF so i can at least drive it to the parts store
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

D to the power of 3
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
D to the power of 3
DDD ? what? hahahaha
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Muscle Freak
DDD ? what? hahahaha

yup
Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

sure dude....

?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm... what would a torn elbow do to a '93 speed density car?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

^Not sure...

Anyways,
I got it fixed for now. kind of a "rigged up" fix but it works. here's what i did.
*MAKE A NOTE, THIS IS A NOTORIOUS ISSUE WITH ANY CAR WITH THIS ELBOW ON IT*

take the elbow and cut it. You're objective here is to cut the broken section (usually and in my case the piece where it connects to the TB), to allow you to clamp it down. Now you ONLY get ONE shot at this, so pay attention! Cut the elbow right on the other side of the "rib", as illustrated in my pic below. Then cut off the Ribs that go towards the TB, without doing this you will not get the clamp on it. and make sure you dont cut too far into the elbow, there's not alot of room for error here, and its very tight.
so once you have that done, open your clamp up all the way. I opened it until it came apart, then set it on the elbow. Install your Elbow on the TB and clamp it down. DONE! Check for leaks, or spots that un-metered air could be goin in and fix accordingly.

Sorry i dont have too many pics, it started raining so i was working as fast as i could. but here's two pics, one of my broken elbow with text on it that tells what to cut off, and one installed. It may not look the prettiest right now, but if you need to get the car running right this WILL WORK
Thanks everyone for your help, you might wanna sticky this so people can find easily.
heres the pics i got, click to make larger:
Broken elbow -
Installed after modification -
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow... since my car is speed density, I went to autozone and purchased a $13 ricer cone filter and forced it into my throttle body. Poked a hole in the neck for the iat sensor. Cranked it up and holy chit, my car has never ran this good before! No misses, hesitation, or stumbling whatsoever!

Lesson: check your elbow - even a half inch tear (like mine) will cause all sorts of issues
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VinR1
Wow... since my car is speed density, I went to autozone and purchased a $13 ricer cone filter and forced it into my throttle body. Poked a hole in the neck for the iat sensor. Cranked it up and holy chit, my car has never ran this good before! No misses, hesitation, or stumbling whatsoever!

Lesson: check your elbow - even a half inch tear (like mine) will cause all sorts of issues

I did the same thing. And I have started my engine with nothing on the throttle body and it ran the same. Mine is a speed density.

Quick Reply: Help! Broken elbow cause these???