LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I am thinking of putting a 2001 Trans Am rearend in my 1993 Firebird. Will it work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an LS1 rear that I am about to put into my 96 and have been reading up a lot about this. Up until now, I was convinced that i would have to swap my old axles into the LS1 housing because LT1 axles were about 1/8" longer.

But several people here say they did not have to swap axles. So what is the reason some have to swap axles and some don't. Does the 3-channel/4-channel thing have anything to do with it? If I have a 3-channel rear and swap in an LS1 3-channel rear, do I not have to swap axles? I plan to keep my backing plates and calipers, so ignore the brakes for this question.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3channel and 4 channel axles and backing plates are different thats why they have to be swapped if your going from one to the other. Life is much easier if you just find the same rear.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubga
I have an LS1 rear that I am about to put into my 96 and have been reading up a lot about this. Up until now, I was convinced that i would have to swap my old axles into the LS1 housing because LT1 axles were about 1/8" longer.

But several people here say they did not have to swap axles. So what is the reason some have to swap axles and some don't. Does the 3-channel/4-channel thing have anything to do with it? If I have a 3-channel rear and swap in an LS1 3-channel rear, do I not have to swap axles? I plan to keep my backing plates and calipers, so ignore the brakes for this question.
NO just bolt it up and go
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dubga

both of my rearends were 4 channel, but i dont have abs anymore anyways, so it didn't matter. and dont get to stressed out about this. there both 10 bolts dont over think. just swap the backing plates from your lt1 rear end on your ls1 rear end and then it will be the same as what you had, so just bolt it right in. dont mess with the axles.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

the 4-channel axles have the abs reluctors on the ends of them vs. the 3-channel which don't have anything since the abs sensor is in the pumpkin

i believe the abs reluctors might make the ls1 axles a tiny bit longer? but i'm not sure on that

Quick Reply: I am thinking of putting a 2001 Trans Am rearend in my 1993 Firebird. Will it work.