LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

it's a long shot....but help finding an oil leak on my 94 z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K if you have a early 94 then you don't have the pressure sensor in the location shown. But from what I can see it is leaking from the top, a rear main seal would have oil all over the inside of the bell housing not on the side and way up it; like you have. It is leaking from either the valve covers or the intake; go ahead and run your hand on the back side of the intake where it connects to the block and around the valve covers where they connect to the heads.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I'm defiantly gonna give that a try tomorrow, since the girlfriend has the day off. is there a write-up anywhere for the intake mani gasket, or is it pretty straight forward? remove wires from injectors, remove fuel rails, remove throttle cable off TB, unbolt intake.......then reverse?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/intakefix.htm also use a good amount of this on the front and rear of the block

I like to put a good amount on the block then let it set up for about 1/2hr before I install the intake; I have never had one leak.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

I bet it's the back of the intake manifold too. Its easy to do. Just make sure you retorque the bolts in the right order.

I am in Toms River but have 0 time until after the new year.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Teching In

This might have to wait till January now ugh. I can't afford the gaskets and fluids, and possibly oil pressure sending unit right now with xmas and all, and i would rather swap on an edelbrock or lt4 intake while i have it off. I was gonna get one anyway, so this might be some modivation. Now to start digging through craigslist and ebay for some cheap ones lol
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Just sucks that im gonna have to keep putting so much oil in over the next few weeks, dealing with the smell of it burning off thr exhaust, and hoping it doesnt catch on fire :-/
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

dude to replace the intake gaskets will NOT cost much at all........like $20 for gaskets and $7 for a tube of silicone rtv......you dont need anything else.....maybe a little bit of coolant for when you pull off the rear crossover tube thats it.......your gonna spend $40 in oil by then probably just do it and get it done with lol
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Teching In

After xmas presents for my kid, im not gonna have an extra $40 to spend at one time. If its $40 over the time span of the next 3 weeks, buying oil, i'm fine with that. Oil pressure is holding up just fine so im not SUPER worried about the leak as long as it doesnt catch on the exhaust or spin me out lol.

Besides, with no one to help (everyone says not till the middle of January anyway), i dont feel like doing all this by myself in my parents frigid driveway. First week in january some money is coming my way, so i'll have enough for a better intake/TB and everything i'm gonna need to do the swap. Including help
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I put any money on it being the oil pressure sending unit. If no leak from the intake it's that sob. Some have a tendency to back out under pressure. See if you can turn it by hand...the sending unit only and not the adapter attached to the block.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Anyone have a picture of the sending unit on an early 94 lt1? Cause when i'm under the car i can't see **** on top of the oil filter (as seen in the video i posted)
Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vinnie Madrox
Anyone have a picture of the sending unit on an early 94 lt1? Cause when i'm under the car i can't see **** on top of the oil filter (as seen in the video i posted)
If you feel right above the oil filter, you will find it if it's there. You should be able to get a wrench on it and tighten it a bit.

As far as doing the intake.. Check out Shoe Box's site. It is REALLY informative and has pictures and diagrams and step by step instructions for practically anything. Removing the intake can be found under the cam removal section. Obviously you don't need to do the entire process for a cam removal, but the intake part seems relevant

http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

remember also you could have multiple leaks, as to why its in so many spots. I know my car had the intake mani leak, and i think the oil pan is leaking. Top of my trans was all black and greasy, and the bottom of my motor is bad too, and i dont think its the rear main seal because that was dry, so im almost sure it is the oil pan gasket. just for a heads up im saying it could be a number of things leaking.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

so i felt {from the top} back there and it seemed like the pass side head was a little oily, but didn't seem too crazy. defiantly wasn't coming from the valve cover, so i'm assuming the intake is leaking in the back. hopefully this weekend i will get some free time o jack the car back up on stands and see if i can get my hand up past the oil filter to the pressure sending unit, to check that out. i'm getting paid on new years day, so i should be able to shell out some doe for some brakekleen to clean the hell out of everything down there, to really look for that leak
Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do have to do the intake I recommend using the stock intake. Only real gain with the aftermarket intake on you car will be it just looks better; the lt1 intake is a good stock intake. Now if you were going 383 + cam and all that good stuff then you may gain some hp, but not much; its really just a appearance improvement. A electric water pump would most likely free up more hp and it can be done for less than half the price of a aftermarket intake.

Quick Reply: it's a long shot....but help finding an oil leak on my 94 z28