LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock LT1, P0336 code, flashing SES light

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock LT1, P0336 code, flashing SES light

Most of the cars throwing the P0336 code seem to have been cammed or have some major engine work done. My car is nearly bone stock.

Well, I was driving back from CA, and my SES light came on, right away I noticed that at all rpm's that the engine felt bogged down and was having a a hard time running smooth and accelerating. A couple cars tried to roll with me on the highway, and I could not even keep up with a GTI! Something was wrong.

The SES light has been coming off and on, and at autozone they got the P0336 code. Today, driving home, the SES light started flashing, which i think means there is a misfire, which i have had a bad history with. The engine is bone stock, the only applicable mods are cat back exhaust and CAI. Recently I have replaced the water pump, MAF, battery, fuel filter, fuel pump. Will I foul the plugs if I keep driving it? It is the only car i have.

I checked the the wires, and nothing looks cut or burned. Other threads have said to check the opti. How exactly do I check the opti and the CPS? What other options are there before shelling out $$ for new parts that may not fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The flashing SES light means you've got a misfire.

What I would do first is look under the hood with the engine running and see if you see any blue arcing that shouldn't be there. Might also be a good time to do plugs/wires too.

Specifically, if you have a scan tool with "enhanced GM parameters" you can tell specifically which cylinder is misfiring.

And lastly, yes it's possible for your opti to be on it's way out.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I ran the codes again and got P0336 again as well as P0300, which is the random/multiple cylinder misfire probably being caused by the first problem.

Car still starts up perfectly fine and runs decent, but how long will that last?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes having the random miss is bad and u will need a tuneup for sure. Since its night out pop the hood and check for firework.

Quick Reply: Stock LT1, P0336 code, flashing SES light