LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So tired of opti, sell car or fix.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
Ive seen cheap optis turn to 7k and I have seen VERY expensive optis not even turn 5500 without busting up...I think it is luck of the draw...

FWIW my buddy is running a Cheap lifetime warrant opti on his AI 355 and turns it to 7k without so much as a hiccup...
I had a brand new delco opti blow up within a couple hundred miles after I put it on. Its all luck of the draw.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because I claim that the cardones are better then your doesn't make me an advance auto worker. You can go ahead and do an IP check. You can send or if anyone is around Myrtle Beach SC I will be more then gladly show you where I work at.
Of course you can have great feedback on ebay, but like you said you are busy with returns and warrenties.
Good job for the people putting on the opti then leaving a feedback saying thank you and then 2 weeks later take a **** on them.

Bottom line is you have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with, and it would benefit any customer to buy locally and deal locally in case of ever needing to replacement, it can happen over night.
I know of two people around here who has ordered your opti, one arrived in 9 days, while the other arrived in 2 or 3. There is need to gamble on guessing how long it would take to arrive.

BTW shame on you for what you have done to the LTxtech.com community.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Cliff notes on what happened over @ ltxtech? If its just CMS not being a sponsor anymore, then you all need to simmer down a bit.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

ok, opti appears ok. Mechanic did a fuel injection service and throttle body service. Did appear to help. I'm thinking after some research, the egr is the culprit. When car is started, has some rough idle/ hesitation. Then about 30 seconds to a minute, car runds great. Also, oil pressure seems higher than usual when driving. Sometimes over 60 psi, and will fluctuate to 40 from 60 in 2 seconds. Its kinda cold, in South Florida, and I'm running 20/50 oil. Any suggestions/opinions ?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why 20/50? Its FL, 5w-30 should be all you need. FL has been colder than usual this year, might be enough to throw off your normal cold reading.

Soon I'm going to get mechanical oil pressure and water temperature gauges as I'm losing faith fast in the factory setup.

Did the car have any codes?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Mechanic said scan did not show any codes. I still think it may be an opti issue, but after the small hesitation after start up, its not missing. I suppose MSD opti is better than others. Remember, I did stall this car in a deep puddle about 3 weeks ago. I assume any other opti woud have been toast. As for 20/50, runs much better, at least in summer. Perhaps an oil change soon to 5/30. So what about egr possibility ?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trex600450
ok, opti appears ok. Mechanic did a fuel injection service and throttle body service. Did appear to help. I'm thinking after some research, the egr is the culprit. When car is started, has some rough idle/ hesitation. Then about 30 seconds to a minute, car runds great. Also, oil pressure seems higher than usual when driving. Sometimes over 60 psi, and will fluctuate to 40 from 60 in 2 seconds. Its kinda cold, in South Florida, and I'm running 20/50 oil. Any suggestions/opinions ?
is the change from running bad to running good pretty abrupt?

What do the blms read during the bad running time.

Once it starts running better, what do the integrators and BLM do?

Bob
Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

After further review, it appears it is a leak on the pcv " grommet " , on the intake manifold. Grommet is seperated into 2 pieces, should be one, and the pcv grommet and pcv blows out when driving. At one point while driving, the car ran so bad and the SES light came on, I pulled over, and re-inserted the grommet, along with pcv device. Car started and ran fine, SES light cleared within 30 seconds. However, with the pcv and grommet out of place, it would be quite easy to assume the opti was the culprit, which I though it was. Also, I got an oil change today, 5w30, from 20w50. Grommet will be installed tommorow.........Six dollars from GM/chevy dealership.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
Cliff notes on what happened over @ ltxtech? If its just CMS not being a sponsor anymore, then you all need to simmer down a bit.
we don't have enough traffic over there, I guess it don't matter even though we all own vehicles with an opti
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojira94
I've replaced 2 optis (one mine, one another person's car) that had code 36 due to the spline shaft bearing (my 94, buddy's 93) coming apart and throwing chromium shards in the hi res encoder. I have mine still, removed the bearing. Wish I could find rebuild kits for existing optis. Other option is to buy the cheapest opti I can find (Ebay, maybe $55.00?) and yank the bearing out of it. Mine was only at 69k miles when it went but it was the factory unit and the car's build date is Nov. 1994.
You have a 1994 built in November 1994?

Hell with pricing units, I just wish we could get rebuild parts for them. My .02.[/QUOTE]Sounds like a sellable product you should explore.

Quick Reply: So tired of opti, sell car or fix.