LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

"Street Stock" At The LTX Shootout 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
Something like that will not happen, again this class is about getting a bunch of street/budget guys together and having some fun. Giving somebody the chance to get into GMHTP and some bragging rights. We want to turn NO ONE away and if everybody stick to the rules that are laid out NO ONE will be turned away. No one will be turned away for something that is completely irrelevant to the speed of the car such as a missing knee pannel. However please do not show up with no interior in your car, please stick to the rules that will be laid out soon.
Finally guys with a real world thinking

This is exactly why the import drag racing crowd died out

Big budget and full blown race car classes claiming to be street car class

If they would have stick to there roots and stuck with real world street car/non caged race car classes the scene would have been better in this day.

But all the race car guys want to bring there cars on a trailer and claim its a street car.

A true bolton class that represents whats on the street that you drive to the track and can drive home.

Not park your trailer around the corner drive in with two speeds and a 5.11 gear running a stock sounding cam with a 500shot of nitrous claiming to be a street car lol

This is why the scene is dead in chicago as well!

With the way the job markert is peoples cars are being sold or double as a daily driver

The racing scene needs to understand this
Old 01-07-2011 | 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vtec
thats why i would keep the rules open. we had a similar problem in the local 275 class i was wanting to run. once they finally had their rules in place several cars including myself couldnt run. there would only be 4-5 cars showing up to the race instead of 10+.

there will always be complainers, but hopefully if the rules are even and open enough there will be a good turnout and most everyone will have a good time. limit the weight, interior, and engine vacuum. (its the honor system as far as internals go anyways, im sure you guys arent going to want to get into teardowns and the track probably doesnt have equipment to check displacement)

i donno, im just rambling....

You need to go with what everyone is doing then make the rules up from there

Once people spend money its a hard pill to swallow they have to sell the parts that are bought already.

Id honestly start off with a good pole on here to gauge were people are at

Then go from there to make sure you have a large class and not "hope" for a large class
Old 01-07-2011 | 03:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
A 4l60e eats up way less power than TH trannies

Under 400whp car should be find launching all day with a nice 4l60e

And im sure no one is going to be shifting over 8,000 rpm with a stock cams and heads lol

If you really think you need more than a 4l60e your smoking somthing

Wrong.....a built th350 will use less than the 4L60E......also a built 4L60E will handle wayyyyyy more than 400hp....ive proven that......ill tell you right now a th350 with the right converter will eat a 4L60E......thus the trans rule will be run the car with the stock model trans......if it was a 4L60E u run a 4L60E....T56 is a T56.....so on and so forth the only other trans allowed will be a 93 car with a 700r4.....
Old 01-07-2011 | 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
I think thats fair. Like I said in a previous post, I would like to see the rules state that single cutouts allowed, but only after the y-junction.

Have fun in the sun! ....must be nice, it's cold and windy here in Kansas

Mine and Kall's (Casey) set of rules should be ready by then as well
i agree with u 100% with the cutout rule. pm me your e-mail and phone number so when me and mike are done we can send u guys our set of rules and u guys can send us your rules and we can compare. maybe us 4 can have one set of rules made up before we even send them to daren. and if not daren can be the tie breaker. works well imo

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
Wrong.....a built th350 will use less than the 4L60E......also a built 4L60E will handle wayyyyyy more than 400hp....ive proven that......ill tell you right now a th350 with the right converter will eat a 4L60E......thus the trans rule will be run the car with the stock model trans......if it was a 4L60E u run a 4L60E....T56 is a T56.....so on and so forth the only other trans allowed will be a 93 car with a 700r4.....
agreed. why do u think all the fast race cars have th350's, th400's, or glides? stock transmission required i think we all agree on that.
Old 01-07-2011 | 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, what is the rationale behind not allowing dual cutouts?
Old 01-07-2011 | 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Because if we allow dual cutouts, then we might as well allow open headers. The line has got to be drawn somewhere, and I feel allowing the single cutout was a nice compromise. If you feel that single 3" is to restrictive, then you still have the option of runnings duals, so long as you run mufflers of some sort, and it exits at or behind the back of the doors.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because if we allow dual cutouts, then we might as well allow open headers. The line has got to be drawn somewhere, and I feel allowing the single cutout was a nice compromise. If you feel that single 3" is to restrictive, then you still have the option of runnings duals, so long as you run mufflers of some sort, and it exits at or behind the back of the doors.
What is wrong with open headers?

I'm just trying to understand why I would have to change my exhaust to be able to run in this class.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Open headers is not what most people want to see in a "street" class. And you certainly don't have to change your entire exhaust, but you would be required to keep your twin cutouts closed.

Have you run you car back to back with the cutouts open vs closed? Honestly, how much does you car pick up with the cutouts open? I'm just tryin to understand why you're so concerned about having them...
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Collin, on my car with true duals 3in dumped before the axle my car picks up about a tenth with the twin cut outs open FWIW.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Open headers is not what most people want to see in a "street" class. And you certainly don't have to change your entire exhaust, but you would be required to keep your twin cutouts closed.

Have you run you car back to back with the cutouts open vs closed? Honestly, how much does you car pick up with the cutouts open? I'm just tryin to understand why you're so concerned about having them...
I have dyno tested it in both configurations back to back. The difference was significant (for a bolt on car anyway).

I figured the reason for no open headers would be because it isn't the most street friendly setup out there. That obviously isn't the case with dual cutouts though. My exhaust is more street friendly than any other setup there is. That is specifically why I have it that way, and also why I am asking about this.

I appreciate your willingness to discuss this btw.
Old 01-07-2011 | 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05HD
I have dyno tested it in both configurations back to back. The difference was significant (for a bolt on car anyway).

I figured the reason for no open headers would be because it isn't the most street friendly setup out there. That obviously isn't the case with dual cutouts though. My exhaust is more street friendly than any other setup there is. That is specifically why I have it that way, and also why I am asking about this.

I appreciate your willingness to discuss this btw.
How is your exhaust more street friendly than any other setup? We need more information on what you have and how running open twin cutouts open is "streetable" and open headers is not, please explain differance. This is why we asked questions of everyone. We dont want anyone to have to spend money to change exhaust but find a happy middle for everyone. This is a very slippery slope, where does it stop?

Great feedback, keep it coming we are listening!
Old 01-08-2011 | 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kall
How is your exhaust more street friendly than any other setup? We need more information on what you have and how running open twin cutouts open is "streetable" and open headers is not, please explain differance. This is why we asked questions of everyone. We dont want anyone to have to spend money to change exhaust but find a happy middle for everyone. This is a very slippery slope, where does it stop?

Great feedback, keep it coming we are listening!
The difference lies in the fact that cutouts close when you want them to. I have a stock catback on my car, as I posted several pages ago. Nothing is more street friendly than stock.

I could put a pair of burns 3" cans on with turndowns and meet the proposed muffled rules (not to mention save a ton of weight) but I'd get pulled over 3 times a week, driving to and from work, for noise pollution. To me, that is not streetable. If you want an exhaust rule to ensure streetable exhaust, make the cars pass a drive by dB test coming down the return road. Very straightforward test of an exhaust systems streetability.
Old 01-08-2011 | 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Thats a very valid point. But with dual cutouts openyou are much louder then a true dual setup. My 3" x-pipe with straight thru mufflers and turndowns is amazingly quiet. I can post a vid sometime if ud like. I have never gotten pulled over for it and drive my car everyday in the summer months up here in new england
Old 01-08-2011 | 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

The way I see it is everyone has the option of purchasing dual cut outs, they are relatively cheap and are considered a bolt on. So why would one be allowed and not two ? I say allow it and if others feel that it is that great of an advantage it is something they can do cheap to their cars before the shootout.
Old 01-08-2011 | 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADHAWK51
The way I see it is everyone has the option of purchasing dual cut outs, they are relatively cheap and are considered a bolt on. So why would one be allowed and not two ? I say allow it and if others feel that it is that great of an advantage it is something they can do cheap to their cars before the shootout.
if thats what is going to happen (which i doubt) i will show up with open headers
Old 01-08-2011 | 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

i run a bullet dump. i dont get pulled over and i wouldnt pass a drive by db test
Old 01-08-2011 | 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
i run a bullet dump. i dont get pulled over and i wouldnt pass a drive by db test
Exactly!
Old 01-08-2011 | 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Is that with the "track car" in your signature?
Old 01-08-2011 | 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
Thats a very valid point. But with dual cutouts openyou are much louder then a true dual setup. My 3" x-pipe with straight thru mufflers and turndowns is amazingly quiet. I can post a vid sometime if ud like. I have never gotten pulled over for it and drive my car everyday in the summer months up here in new england
I'm sure there are quiet true dual setups. I think that is why we should let an impartial dB meter decide if a car has street exhaust or not. Another good test would be for you all to come over to my house for a BBQ with your cars and see how many of you get pulled for loud exhaust on the way, lol. I know I will not.
Old 01-08-2011 | 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05HD
Is that with the "track car" in your signature?
no its not. its a DD look at the sig maybe you'd see that...
99z DD bullet? ring any bells?

Quick Reply: "Street Stock" At The LTX Shootout 2011