LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AI 385 LT1 Motor Re-Build Thread....PICS/VIDEO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostang
I am curious how well those headers fit for you. I need to have mine modified to fit as they hit the floor board on the driver's side. The build is looking good!
that kind of scares me a little lol............we'll see i think they will be close but they should fit........ill take some pics though
Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pacesetters did the same thing. Nothing a lil air hammer on the frame couldnt fix
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
My pacesetters did the same thing. Nothing a lil air hammer on the frame couldnt fix
i already got the k member notched to fit...........worst case scenario i break out the bfh lol
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Best tool in the ole box
Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
Got the gaskets cut tonite for the oil holes and i installed the intake. Also I phased the rotor and indexed the cam sync sensor. Its offically a motor now!!! Just gotta pollish up my covers and install.....index the crank sensor and put on the vac pump/headers/alternator and water pump and i got a running motor!!!! More tomorrow.....

Pic of the headers all wrapped up with the DEI Titanium Heat Wrap...

Pic of the intake bolted up to the motor after i cut the gaskets with snips and folded over the pieces to allow the oil to drain out of the heads properly....

So here i used a degree wheel and a piston stop to find TDC. I put the piston stop in the #1 plug hole and turned the motor forward till it stopped I had 72* then i turned the motor all the way backwards till it stopped and i had 46*....this gives me a difference of 26* between the two you split that in half and you have 13* now add that to the 46* and you get 59*. So I pull the stop out and turn the motor to 59* and thats my TDC #1 compression stroke.

Next i phased the rotor.....turn the motor to your timing at peak torque which is about 34* in this case.....so i backed the motor up 34* which brought me to 93* on the wheel. Here i lined up the rotor with #1 on the dizzy cap and marked the position of the dizzy where it fit the best....

next i had to line up the cam sync sensor in the dizzy........its simply a magnetic pickup sensor that needs to be triggered once a revolution of the cam 10-80* before the crank sensor signal.......so in my case:

my max timing i will ever run is 40* +10* for processing time for the xfi gives me a crank trigger setting of 50*btdc....so +10-80* = 60-130* BTDC i need my cam sync sensor to be triggered.....so
with the dizzy installed and the rotor phased i turned the motor to 60*btdc then continued to turn it backwards untill one of the triggers passed the pickup in the dizzy and i stopped there......it wound up being 116*BTDC....perfect!!!
you can see here what the mag pickup looks like in the dizzy....

next i marked the trigger i was using and i now need to cut off the other 7 cause i only want this one pulse every revolution to tell the xfi when the firing order is starting.....

more tonite.....
??? Cam trigger has nothing to do with rotor phasing or timing. You want the cam signal at about 70º BTDC (crank degrees) with XFI.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
??? Cam trigger has nothing to do with rotor phasing or timing. You want the cam signal at about 70º BTDC (crank degrees) with XFI.
yea i know that but the rotor phasing had to do with the direction my cap was facing which had to be correct to fit with the intake and stuff........the cam signal i can run anywhere between 60-130.......mine ended up at 116....should be fine
Old 03-16-2011, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

change your injector firing angle later then, you don't want to be spraying on an open intake valve unless the rpm's (airspeed) are up there.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what pace setters are those.. They dont look like normal fbody headers
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those are not pacesetters i think they are hedmen headers
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

they're hedmans i believe... 1 7/8" x 3 1/2" with some LONG *** collectors on there
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Those r def the headers ill b going with next. The bigger the better i always say!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Can you give me more details on your ignition setup. I am doing a build with almost every part you are using. I will also have the Victor EFI intake and I am looking for a solution to the opti. I have considered LTCC and EFI Connection setup's but have never seen a setup like this. I am very intrigued by this and I need more info PLEASE. Thanks Michael
Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by REAPER13
Can you give me more details on your ignition setup. I am doing a build with almost every part you are using. I will also have the Victor EFI intake and I am looking for a solution to the opti. I have considered LTCC and EFI Connection setup's but have never seen a setup like this. I am very intrigued by this and I need more info PLEASE. Thanks Michael
You need to get out more :p I've been running a gen7 dfi for like 8 years with a distributor in the lt4 manifold. Basically with these aftermarket ECM systems the computer needs to know where the cam and crank are to do its job. I use a dual sync distributor which is a basic small cap distributor but under the cap there are magnets and triggers that rotate. Since the distributor runs off the cam these triggers can reliably tell the ECM where everything is. Tried to make that as simple as possible.

I don't know what distributor the op is using I do believe xfi has a dual sync distributor now. Fast xfi is an excellent system an I would have gone that route if I knew by today the support would have far surpassed dfi.

To the op.. Are you building your own dual sync ?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Quick95: thought you might be interested to hear that I've watched efi connections setup from the get go and considered using components to work with my dfi as you could probably do the same with xfi. The eficon reflectors are 24 or 58 etc and I believe my dfi needed something like 4/1 . I am considering buying their cover, taking their reluctors to a machine shop and have them shave off teeth until I have 4/1 inputs for my ECM. This way I can run a generic small cap or even a large and not have to shell $500 for a dizzy and always be wondering about accuracy (wear on drive gears). Btw are you using a bronze gear or steel?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks awesome...those headers are nice
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

those headers dont look too good, I think you should give them to me
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM
9 Second Club

change your injector firing angle later then, you don't want to be spraying on an open intake valve unless the rpm's (airspeed) are up there.
yea as far as i know i can just change the cam precedes cylinder number in the xfi and tell it when number 2 is comming instead of number 1 it will back the degree number up by 45*.......

they're hedmans i believe... 1 7/8" x 3 1/2" with some LONG *** collectors on there
yep

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
You need to get out more :p I've been running a gen7 dfi for like 8 years with a distributor in the lt4 manifold. Basically with these aftermarket ECM systems the computer needs to know where the cam and crank are to do its job. I use a dual sync distributor which is a basic small cap distributor but under the cap there are magnets and triggers that rotate. Since the distributor runs off the cam these triggers can reliably tell the ECM where everything is. Tried to make that as simple as possible.

I don't know what distributor the op is using I do believe xfi has a dual sync distributor now. Fast xfi is an excellent system an I would have gone that route if I knew by today the support would have far surpassed dfi.

To the op.. Are you building your own dual sync ?
I'm using the MSD Pro Billet Low Profile dizzy.....it had a single pickup with 8 triggers i figured out which one i needed and cut the other 7 off.......so no not a dual sync.....

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Quick95: thought you might be interested to hear that I've watched efi connections setup from the get go and considered using components to work with my dfi as you could probably do the same with xfi. The eficon reflectors are 24 or 58 etc and I believe my dfi needed something like 4/1 . I am considering buying their cover, taking their reluctors to a machine shop and have them shave off teeth until I have 4/1 inputs for my ECM. This way I can run a generic small cap or even a large and not have to shell $500 for a dizzy and always be wondering about accuracy (wear on drive gears). Btw are you using a bronze gear or steel?
I'm using a steel gear......AI puts an everwear gear on the cams so i can run the steel....

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
those headers dont look too good, I think you should give them to me
haha
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

Default Update 3-17-11

Got alot done last night.......got the dizzy in as well as the crank trigger in and lined up.....got the water pump, alternator, valve cover, vac pump plumbing, injectors, rails, elbow and tb on too......motors pretty much done other than the one valve cover i still gotta polish up.......gonna paint the engine bay saturday morning and then the motors going back in sunday.....

Dizzy all installed.......

Crank trigger (lined up at 50*BTDC) and mandrel installed along with vac pump bracket......

fuel rails and injectors installed...........

little view down the elbow......

Speed Inc LS1 Alternator Relocation bracket and alternator installed....

GZ Motorsports Sportsman Vac Pump and Water Pump Installed........

Re-did my throttle cable bracket too.......sanded and cleared all of the brackets to match each other too.....i hate shiny stuff
so i went with a brushed aluminum clear coated look.........doing the valve covers too......

One valve cover and everything else minus the headers.......looks like a motor now!!!!

The finishing touches tonite.......then the new aluminum header adaptor plates i made.........the steel ones are too heavy
Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Love your Ride and this build thread. Congrats!

My AI SR package with a stroked 401 bottom end refresh will be done next week. No where near your HP/TQ numbers with the single plan, vacuum pump, and engineering you've put into this combo. What CR are you projecting with this current build? I've also been told to move up to 1 7/8 LT headers. Unfortunately, nothing like that exists off the shelf for b-bodies. Will have to go custom.

Tremendous attention to detail.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2NASSTY
Love your Ride and this build thread. Congrats!

My AI SR package with a stroked 401 bottom end refresh will be done next week. No where near your HP/TQ numbers with the single plan, vacuum pump, and engineering you've put into this combo. What CR are you projecting with this current build? I've also been told to move up to 1 7/8 LT headers. Unfortunately, nothing like that exists off the shelf for b-bodies. Will have to go custom.

Tremendous attention to detail.
Thanks a ton man!!!!! ......sounds like you got a hell of a combo set up yourself ..........the compression this time around is pretty high...running 14.2:1......and yep the 1-7/8" to 3.5" header will def help.....im expecting 20-25rwhp from it.....if not more.....

good luck with ur build and send me a PM when u get it fired if u want I'd like to see it

Mike V

Quick Reply: AI 385 LT1 Motor Re-Build Thread....PICS/VIDEO!!!