LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hey, any HR guys spinning well past 7500rpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss rrr
i don't have the ability to datalog, but i'll see what i can do. I'm pilled at 6800rpm, but shift past that. Still using stock tach so no idea exactly where that is.
lies!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proof!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LIVE!!!??

-Dustin-
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
LIVE!!!??

-Dustin-
Just isn't funny coming from you. I'd suggest a different approach with your quest to fit in.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
comp 943 IS a PAC 1243 I'm not running them yet, but i'll let ya know later this year. The advantage to that spring is MASS. You can set them up at 1.89 or so and run .750 net, which lets you use a +.100 valve instead of a .200 or .250, there's a few grams savings. It's a 1.55 spring vs a common 1.625 you'd set up at 2.00" which saves you another 30+ grams of spring + retainer mass. Obviously the entire spring is not moving, but lets say ~15 grams of moving mass saved. Also you can run a cheap 731 style titanium retainer from trick titanium for 200 bucks as well.

Those 20 grams saved are the equivalent of a hollow stem valve ($$$) but you can still run a solid stem severe duty and run the same rpm. On an 8000 rpm motor, every 10 grams you can take out of the valve side is 300 rpm or so. From the folks I've talked to that run the 1243, valve spring life is better and more consistant than their lifters! I'm giving away alot of my secrets here but there's <10 members in this section who could actually use this data so whatever
Dunno how I missed this.

Thanks a ton - the day after I wrote that I got the results back from my shop and found that I can in fact run the springs . To be on the safe side I had them checked for #'s at various lifts and coil bind and everything checks out good.

I will have .046" coil bind clearance at max lift, plenty of room...looks like .73X" and 8000 RPMs is a go .

It's just another street car .
Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, if it is injector drivers that stops it, shouldn't '93s (and '92 'vettes) be different?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 05HD
So, if it is injector drivers that stops it, shouldn't '93s (and '92 'vettes) be different?
Injector drivers are still controlled by the PCMs, so its still a matter of OBDI and OBDII, not the injectors or batchfire/sequential.

OBDIs run out of rpms 200rpm sooner
Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Injector drivers are still controlled by the PCMs, so its still a matter of OBDI and OBDII, not the injectors or batchfire/sequential.

OBDIs run out of rpms 200rpm sooner
A '93 has a different computer (ECM not PCM for a '93) and different injector drivers (2 of them instead of 8) inside that different computer. Old fashioned PROM chip instead of EEPROM etc.

So, your response is confusing me...
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

A '93 has a different computer (ECM not PCM for a '93) and different injector drivers (2 of them instead of 8) inside that different computer. Old fashioned PROM chip instead of EEPROM etc.

So, your response is confusing me...
Like stated, that is due to batch-fire(well, technically bank fire) vs sequential, which does not matter at all. It purely effects idle manners, emissions, and low rpm fuel economy. During WOT all the injectors are basically open, and batch/sequential does not matter.

Although the computer is programmed differently for the earliest of LT1s, coming form the factory using a UV erasable PROM chip, the computer hardware itself is subject to the same limitations as the other OBDI computers.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like stated, that is due to batch-fire(well, technically bank fire) vs sequential, which does not matter at all. It purely effects idle manners, emissions, and low rpm fuel economy. During WOT all the injectors are basically open, and batch/sequential does not matter.

Although the computer is programmed differently for the earliest of LT1s, coming form the factory using a UV erasable PROM chip, the computer hardware itself is subject to the same limitations as the other OBDI computers.
So, you are saying the different computers have the same injector drivers? I know the physical effects of batch vs. sequential but I haven't had the various computers open to check hardware.

Also, wouldn't IPW affect max RPM if injector driver switching time was the limiter? Put some big *** injectors on for a short pulse width and more time to switch the drivers on and off?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

So, you are saying the different computers have the same injector drivers? I know the physical effects of batch vs. sequential but I haven't had the various computers open to check hardware.

Also, wouldn't IPW affect max RPM if injector driver switching time was the limiter? Put some big *** injectors on for a short pulse width and more time to switch the drivers on and off?
Not necessarily - I do not know the exact inner workings of either computer, but I assume they are driven the same way by, just in a bank-vs-bank method completely independent of cam timing and in reference to piston TDC...unlike sequential which always knows where the cam is in relation to the crank. I do know though that the OBDI 93 computers behave exactly the same as the 94 OBDI computers when they reach the hard rpm limit, even while having a slightly different hardware setup.

It is not a matter of the IWPs either, it is a matter of the computer not being able to order the injectors to fire X times over Y seconds. As RPM increases, no matter the injector size, it still has to fire the same amount of times, whether it is for a short pulse width or a long one. Not to mention big injectors have a horrible time atomizing fuel at very low IPWs. People like Gizmo have actually picked up vital time in SE cars by actually running SMALLER injectors at a higher PSI to help atomize the fuel.

Excuse my over-simplified explanations, just trying to word it in a way that makes sense. The "what" is a lot easier to explain then the "how".

Hopefully someone more "in the know" like Ed or Wicked will chime in.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Must be a limitation of the factory injector drivers? Both my Commander 950 and MSII setups were capable of driving injectors up to 15,000+ rpms.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a graphical representation of what I am thinking.

Time available @ say 7000 rpm to fire injector: [__________]

I will use X for injector on time, I for ecu turn on, O for ecu turn off and _ as extra time.

Small injector @ 100% duty [IXXXXXXXXO]

Huge injector @ 50% duty [IXXXO_____]

The small injector model is out of time but the big one has ages of time left. If you get to the point where the time is like this [IO] or this [I] I think the engine would have leaned out a long time before.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is a graphical representation of what I am thinking.

Time available @ say 7000 rpm to fire injector: [__________]

I will use X for injector on time, I for ecu turn on, O for ecu turn off and _ as extra time.

Small injector @ 100% duty [IXXXXXXXXO]

Huge injector @ 50% duty [IXXXO_____]

The small injector model is out of time but the big one has ages of time left. If you get to the point where the time is like this [IO] or this [I] I think the engine would have leaned out a long time before.
At XXXX RPMs you need the injector to fire the same amount of times over any given period of time no matter what the pulsewidth is. Pulsewidth is how MUCH fuel the injectors deliver per activation, but the RPM limit is due to how many TIMES the injector has to fire over a set period of time. Smaller or larger pulsewidths both fire the same amount of times at the same RPMs, and increasing the pulsewidth or injector size will not affect how many times it opens at 7000/7200 rpms .

Duty cycle has nothing to do with the computer not being able to keep up with the injectors at 7000/7200 rpms, and is a totally different problem that has more to do with low speed drivability and idle problems with large injectors then it does high rpms .

Although they seem similar on the surface, not being able to control an excessively short pulsewidth(too large injector, too low fuel pressure) is different from not being able to fire an injector X times in X seconds(computer cannot keep up, cannot process information fast enough).

Hopefully Wicked can chime in, I know he has a deeper workings of the stock systems shortcomings and why exactly it has trouble at high rpms.

PS: I think I explained it pretty good that time, but I'm on my third Bacardi and Apple Juice so who knows how it'll look to me tomorrow . I miss these discussion filled conversations that are now so often buried under "What exhaust should I run" or "Whats the biggest cam I can put in my stock LT1" .
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just isn't funny coming from you. I'd suggest a different approach with your quest to fit in.
More perhaps?

-Dustin-
Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

this thread sux
Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

At XXXX RPMs you need the injector to fire the same amount of times over any given period of time no matter what the pulsewidth is. Pulsewidth is how MUCH fuel the injectors deliver per activation, but the RPM limit is due to how many TIMES the injector has to fire over a set period of time. Smaller or larger pulsewidths both fire the same amount of times at the same RPMs, and increasing the pulsewidth or injector size will not affect how many times it opens at 7000/7200 rpms .

Duty cycle has nothing to do with the computer not being able to keep up with the injectors at 7000/7200 rpms, and is a totally different problem that has more to do with low speed drivability and idle problems with large injectors then it does high rpms .

Although they seem similar on the surface, not being able to control an excessively short pulsewidth(too large injector, too low fuel pressure) is different from not being able to fire an injector X times in X seconds(computer cannot keep up, cannot process information fast enough).

Hopefully Wicked can chime in, I know he has a deeper workings of the stock systems shortcomings and why exactly it has trouble at high rpms.

PS: I think I explained it pretty good that time, but I'm on my third Bacardi and Apple Juice so who knows how it'll look to me tomorrow . I miss these discussion filled conversations that are now so often buried under "What exhaust should I run" or "Whats the biggest cam I can put in my stock LT1" .
I think I need some more Wild Turkey 'cuz your explanation doesn't make any sense to me!

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
this thread sux
Why don't you just put a SR in it? More power/torque under the curve and with a good, stable valvetrain it will not require very frequent maintenance.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I need some more Wild Turkey 'cuz your explanation doesn't make any sense to me!
You can change the pulsewidth of the injectors all you want, but you cannot change how many *times* they open per crank rotation. Regardless of the pulsewidth of the injectors, they are firing the same number of times over a given time period, no matter what. If the computer cant think fast enough to tell it to fire that many times, then it will hit a wall no matter what the pulsewidth is.

Why don't you just put a SR in it? More power/torque under the curve and with a good, stable valvetrain it will not require very frequent maintenance.
/thread .
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Puck, how much dogpower is that engine gonna have now
Old 01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Puck, how much dogpower is that engine gonna have now
He weighs around 110lbs so if I put him in the trunk as ballast I might pick up a tenth

Quick Reply: Hey, any HR guys spinning well past 7500rpms