LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hey, any HR guys spinning well past 7500rpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
What a poor, generalized blanket statement. Clearly you're not familiar with EFI renegade... 9500 rpm and over 800# open on unmodified OEM ford lifters. No they're not bottomed out either... oh and they're going bottom 8s on .550 lift restricted 311 cube motors. Again, unmodified OEM ford lifters.
So, you think they would go slower with solid rollers and unlimited cams?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Because if you are making BIG power you will make BIGGER Power going SR. I also cannot believe people are concerned with the sr shortcomings and at the same time putting huge cams and hr killing springs in and trying to rev high.

It's like trying to run faster by strapping a heavy backpack on and going to the gym and doing squats for more power.
i have a large HR LE cam (245/253 .612/.612 on a 107lsa) in my 385 and have been interested in this. i have a 96 vette and am running the stock pcm. i am in the process of tuning it so testing its rev limit isnt in the cards at the moment. i know that my mail order tune for this had the rev limit set at 7391rpm's. my software allows you to set the rev limiter at 10,000rpms which i know is impossible. i am trying to sort out some dyno time to do some final tuning and hope to be able to add info on this. off topic but nastyc4 what rear/drivetrain are you running? i know that my car isn't liking the power levels this setup is capable of producing. from the sounds of things you have a stouter setup then me. whats your secret?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
So, you think they would go slower with solid rollers and unlimited cams?
I think the point he was trying to make is that if they can get them to survive in 9500 rpm screamers then living in a modest lil 8000 rpm LT1 should not be seen as impossible or not worthwhile.

I think a lot of the contradictions are because of the mindset of how weak HR lifters used to be...the whole "xxx" lbs will crush an HR thing. After having a defective COMP OEM lifter grenade on me with mild little Crane 10308 springs I can see why some would be apprehensive to throw hundreds of pounds at them.

I wouldn't want to torture an HR lifter with high springs pressures in a daily driver, but I wouldn't be surprised if they can take a LOT more abuse then they are given credit for in a track car.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a decent size HR in my car 249/257 .612 107LSA no big dollar shaft mounts but, the reason I'm running a HR FWIW is because I used to run a big SR in my last motor and a lifter failed after only about 2,000 street miles. I can't say I wasn't warned the builder said sitting idling for extended periods will kill them quickly due to their design and lack of oil at Idle.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puck
I think the point he was trying to make is that if they can get them to survive in 9500 rpm screamers then living in a modest lil 8000 rpm LT1 should not be seen as impossible or not worthwhile.

I think a lot of the contradictions are because of the mindset of how weak HR lifters used to be...the whole "xxx" lbs will crush an HR thing. After having a defective COMP OEM lifter grenade on me with mild little Crane 10308 springs I can see why some would be apprehensive to throw hundreds of pounds at them.

I wouldn't want to torture an HR lifter with high springs pressures in a daily driver, but I wouldn't be surprised if they can take a LOT more abuse then they are given credit for in a track car.
correct, those little 311 motors are running faster that any nitrous LTx ever has with unlimited modifications. Obviously the hydraulic lifter is capable of making big power, and a solid roller valvetrain is capable of making less. Some want to push the limits, some don't. Don't see what's wrong with pushing a HR to make more than a street oriented SR setup.

Quick Reply: Hey, any HR guys spinning well past 7500rpms