LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

CERBERUS; A Daily Driven 97 SS Rescue Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, just want to say that you are doing a great job on the car. Props for that,being a true SS, its worthwhile. And its the right color! One thing I believe is that you should put the right spoiler on it. IMHO they look better. I maybe biased tho. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
Hey, just want to say that you are doing a great job on the car. Props for that,being a true SS, its worthwhile. And its the right color! One thing I believe is that you should put the right spoiler on it. IMHO they look better. I maybe biased tho. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man. I will find a OE 96-97 SS spoiler one of these days. Most likely when its time for a paint job. Lol, but the $100 aftermarket spoiler will cut it for now.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this project!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tampa_97_SS
Haha..yeah I know right?! I found a guy in Orlando who had a full set, new in the box. He purchased them for his 02 SS but never installed them because the car was totaled before he had a chance. I checked them over and there was no sign of use what so ever. So at $250 I couldn't pass them up.

Thats how I have found most of my parts. I check craigslist and our classifieds section on a regular basis. And with patience I have come across some steals!
Crap I was hoping you had some secret vendor where I could get some too.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
I like this project!
Thanks I like your Z28! I have seen it in many other posts, and I definitely saved a few pics to use as reference for paint and such.

Originally Posted by TrybalRage
Crap I was hoping you had some secret vendor where I could get some too.
Lol..yeah no secret vendor, just countless hours on C-List and our classifieds
Old 05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyway, I did purchase a Racetronix Walbro and Hotwire Kit. I I am pretty sure that I will do the trap door mod, but I will do it right and give it a smooth and clean finish when its done.

I am however going to go to my local junk yard and practice the trap door on another car. I'm thinking that it will be smarter to make mistakes on a junker and then be able to do it right on my car..lol.
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...f0jxnvabCRpK3L

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

WOW amazing thread! i hope to have one like this some day.I recently got a 97 z28. needs some body & small interior work. but you got me beat because your head gasket didn't go I didn't even finish taking all my "before" pictures yet. I can't wait to start working on it again. So awesome you saved it!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks I like your Z28! I have seen it in many other posts, and I definitely saved a few pics to use as reference for paint and such.

Lol..yeah no secret vendor, just countless hours on C-List and our classifieds
Thanks man
Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Default Trans Cooler and Trans Temp Gauge

My buddy Mike had a spare transmission cooler and trans temp gauge which I got for a really good price. I definitely plan on upgrading the stall converter down the road so it made sense to get this done and out of the way. The cooler works great and the transmission runs at 180*-190* max. He cut me a gauge plate to save some cash, didn't turn out too bad.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love lt1 SS's... Job well done!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Love lt1 SS's... Job well done!
Thank you. If I can ever get my fuel pump in I'll be able to get that done and move on to other restoration projects....like doorpanels and window motors lol.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

First time I read this thread...I remember seeing this car around town (I live in sarasota). Needless to say i'm a fan of your ride...and this thread. I wish I would have known about this website to start a thread.

My car has a similar story...I bought it as the third owner in 2004. It had about 58k and was starting to show the signs of the neglect from previous years. By the time it hit 96k (it was my DD) it was ready to come off the road. It's been my project ever since.

Keep up the great work and pics. If you ever make it down to Bradenton Sports Park give me a message. I'm frequently there.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jesup16
First time I read this thread...I remember seeing this car around town (I live in sarasota). Needless to say i'm a fan of your ride...and this thread. I wish I would have known about this website to start a thread.

My car has a similar story...I bought it as the third owner in 2004. It had about 58k and was starting to show the signs of the neglect from previous years. By the time it hit 96k (it was my DD) it was ready to come off the road. It's been my project ever since.

Keep up the great work and pics. If you ever make it down to Bradenton Sports Park give me a message. I'm frequently there.
No way, thats cool to run into someone who recognizes the car lol. Thanks by the way. I was actually thinking about comming out to Bradeton last night and make a pass or two lol. But I talked myself out of it; I would hate to blow my DDs weak rear end or u-joints on the track. Lol, walking back to Tampa would suck. I can come out there to watch and hang out though; I'll shoot you a message when I do.

Thats cool that you have hung on to your LT1 for nearly 40K and managed to pull it off the street for restoration...many dont.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

No way, thats cool to run into someone who recognizes the car lol. Thanks by the way. I was actually thinking about comming out to Bradeton last night and make a pass or two lol. But I talked myself out of it; I would hate to blow my DDs weak rear end or u-joints on the track. Lol, walking back to Tampa would suck. I can come out there to watch and hang out though; I'll shoot you a message when I do.

Thats cool that you have hung on to your LT1 for nearly 40K and managed to pull it off the street for restoration...many dont.
I couldn't see ever getting rid of this car...even today...I've just got too much time and effort to ever recover those costs. Its been paid off for a long time...now sense in EVER selling it...although I want a new one badly. I figure there aren't a ton of 1997 m6 SS out there and one day it might be worth a little something.

my plans are a little different than most. I actually just put in a set of Koni 4/4's and new springs from strano last weekend. It's not quite as low in the pics (had eibach sportlines). I plan on starting solo runs this summer.

It be cool to get some guys (and gals) from the forum to meet at Racetrack...I just had a rear-end built with 4:10 gears for the car. The motors got about 1400 miles on it since the rebuild.

i had bigger plans for the rebuild, but I lost my job in the middle of it. Needless to say I had to hold off on the bigger plans for the motor, but I ended up replacing so many little things the car is practically brand new again...Ended up taking more than 3 years instead of 1.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I hear you my friend lol. I would not be able to fully recover my costs either if I sold it. It has been a year, and all I have managed to do is some suspension and interior work lol; budget and daily driver builds take time. I would be down for comming out to the track and showing some support atleast; just let me know.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Excellent job on resurrecting a classic!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Im glad to see you rescued this , very nice and now a respectable car . Great job and good work keeping with the project .
Old 07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Teching In

I know this thread is old but when I came across it I just had to comment. Great job on this whole project man. I'm sure you knew it was gonna be a big project when looking at buying it, and I think it's awesome that you did. As a 97 SS owner myself, there's no way I could have walked away from that car and left it in the hands of the previous owner. That kid needs his *** kicked imo. And then drag him through the mud like he's done to that car. 96-97 SS cars are absolutely **** and becoming more rare and it should be in the hands of an owner that loves it and knows how to treat it and it's obvious that you do so thank you. And thank you for your service to this great country as well. Oh and +1 for LT1 SS spoiler too. There's plenty of the 98-02 SS's out there.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...1-spoiler.html

Not sure if you have seen this, but it's a good price.

Quick Reply: CERBERUS; A Daily Driven 97 SS Rescue Project