LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tranny fork problems,help please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fork problems,help please?

K to make my story short I just install a new clutch and i cant slide my fork back in into my trow out bearing. Maybe I tightend the bolt too much? Any sugestions? Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming you've already installed the trans so did you make sure the fork was pulled down before reinstalling the trans....did you put a little grease on the pivoting area? Also the bolt that holds down the clutch fork doesn't require much torque.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1hotlt1
K to make my story short I just install a new clutch and i cant slide my fork back in into my trow out bearing. Maybe I tightend the bolt too much? Any sugestions? Thanks guys.
Overtightening the bolt that holds the T in wouldn't give you any problems with sliding the fork on and off the throwout bearing. What would give you problems is if the little retainer clip thats attached to the fork is damaged. This retainer clip is actually what "locks" the fork onto the throwout bearing, good idea to check and make sure its not beat up or bented.

Other thing I can think of is to make sure your throwout bearing is rotated in the right position. If its a stock replacement clutch with a round throwout bearing then ignore this paragraph. If you've got an aftermarket clutch, like a Spec clutch, with a square shaped bearing, youve just gotta get it roughly into a position that will allow the clutchfork to slide on the easiest. Not any precision to it, as long as youre in the ballpark you'll be fine, but if your 90 degrees off than it will definitely give you the problem you say your having.

You'll know when your engaged properly on the throwout bearing when the cup on the end of the clutchfork is exactly centered between the two studs that the slave bolts up to.