LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Let Me Introduce Myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Do your thing bro......I understand the GN stuff I worked for Conleys Performance Plus in Tx and we had GREAT success in going fast. Welcome to the board. I would say you will have an easier time in the FI section but they are so PRO LS but there is alot of common ground..
my grandfather and LC have been friends since the mid 80s, they DROVE up from houston together and placed 1 and 2 at bolling green many years ago and were just about inseperable on the GN scene during the late 80s early 90s. were you around for tweaked or tweaked2?.....i finally get a post from someone that knows something about the lt1 ecm and he wants to be a smart ***, another that thinks you have to be made of gold to run a turbo set-up, i have enough turbo garbage to pipe the thing up intercooled in the garage laying on the floor (3 GN cars one stock, one tube, and one 10.5)thank goodness the 10.5 car is ready for the track tuning i didnt think it was ever gonna get done, one thing then the next....i dont know, i think im on the wrong site. i im looking for something a little more technical oriented i believe..... nice to meet ya everyone, but i think im out. ive been involved in racing my entire life since i was a kid. ive paid my dues in the nitro trailers for 8 years, im pretty sure i understand the expense involved in any build. maybe my poor boy and your poor boy are two different definitions. i dont buy anything i can build, period....unless its an extremely good deal.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
This car and skinnies car both have the 94-95PCM so you don't have to burn chips to change the tune, you just have to reflash which makes changes alot easier/quicker. I am swapping my setup from n2o over to turbo also and found a Fast DFI setup with wiring harness, datalogger, 02 sensor etc... $850 so thats the route I am going along with an 88mm turbo on E85. Later
Clint is dead on, 93's are much tougher than any 94-95 OBD1 setup. Also limited to around 7000rpm's on any of these LT1 computer systems. If your really good with all of these different systems (FAST, DFI, etc) just get a megasquirt setup. I have witnessed a ton of guys running the Megasquirt and they are much much cheaper than the other big name fuel/ignition systems. Im thinking like way under $750 but dont quote me as im a carb guy now.

Look up this guy on here 98Z28CobraKiller, runs a LS engine but the management like you said works on geo metro's to lambo's. He is the man when it comes to all of these different setups and I consider him one of the few home built gods. Currently his street car/driver is a 8sec quarter mile car and he seems very friendly and will respect your opinion on what you want.

Also you talked about going at your heads and intake with the old grinder. Hit me up and I will give you my findings and proven at the track porting tips for LT1 intakes. I have helped gain over 1mph-1.5mph in quarter over well known ported stock casting by using epoxy/welding in the right place's on the factory intake manifolds.

Welcome to the tech and cant wait to see your build come alive, also congrats on the baby boy. My son turned 1yo in December so I understand the budget choice's your wanting to make.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

nice stock ta..... i have no fear of epoxy floors and pencil grinders,lol. ive seen where alot of mustang guys are having success with a MAP clamp, or the inline check valve from vortech, then useing a FMU (adjustable boost refrenced fuel regulator)...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have my old Burn1 stuff from moates.net for sale right now. Thats the stuff you need for '93 FLASH cars.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed Density
I actually have my old Burn1 stuff from moates.net for sale right now. Thats the stuff you need for '93 FLASH cars.
This is want you need if your sticking to the 93 computer. And don't move on to another forum as there are guys on here that are far from nice but they are just letting you know the path they have already been down on a LT1.

As far as porting DO NOT GASKET MATCH a LT1 intake, use some of these Idea's that I put into this intake and you should be rocking out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...e-results.html

Also look at this Edelbrock porting pops and I have done and you will see the bits and grinders we use. None of those intake ports were hand polished just very soft touch of a double cut and steady hands.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...we-ported.html
As for a pencil grinder they are nice but a quality bit in 1/4" shank in a double cut will be your best friend. Alumacuts work good for 58MM opening but are to agressive for the runners, go with a high quality double cut carbide $$$ about $20-$25 a bit. I never used my pencil grinder for anything except 2 stroke dirtbikes and banshee's they just are to jumpy and dont move enough aluminum to work well on a LT1 casting.

Also use a light squirt of machine oil while porting direct on your bit as it will really let it stay cool and cut precise, plus your bits will last 10 times as long no kidding about that. My Great Great grandfather, great grandfather, and grandfather were all master pattern makers that worked in the same aluminum foundry and passed there love of aluminum work down to father and I. My father and grandfather are still alive and Im grateful for what gramps and my dad have brought me up on learning what aluminum likes.
All of these port jobs were done by my father and me (im 29yo so still young buck) and we take great pride in this. I hope this inspires many people to try porting themselves.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

wow..
Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

were gonna stick with the stock ecm, worst case scenario ill go maft pro. heaps cheaper than complete stand alone and ive dealt with it before with GNs in the past.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
This is want you need if your sticking to the 93 computer. And don't move on to another forum as there are guys on here that are far from nice but they are just letting you know the path they have already been down on a LT1.

As far as porting DO NOT GASKET MATCH a LT1 intake, use some of these Idea's that I put into this intake and you should be rocking out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...e-results.html

Also look at this Edelbrock porting pops and I have done and you will see the bits and grinders we use. None of those intake ports were hand polished just very soft touch of a double cut and steady hands.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...we-ported.html
As for a pencil grinder they are nice but a quality bit in 1/4" shank in a double cut will be your best friend. Alumacuts work good for 58MM opening but are to agressive for the runners, go with a high quality double cut carbide $$$ about $20-$25 a bit. I never used my pencil grinder for anything except 2 stroke dirtbikes and banshee's they just are to jumpy and dont move enough aluminum to work well on a LT1 casting.

Also use a light squirt of machine oil while porting direct on your bit as it will really let it stay cool and cut precise, plus your bits will last 10 times as long no kidding about that. My Great Great grandfather, great grandfather, and grandfather were all master pattern makers that worked in the same aluminum foundry and passed there love of aluminum work down to father and I. My father and grandfather are still alive and Im grateful for what gramps and my dad have brought me up on learning what aluminum likes.
All of these port jobs were done by my father and me (im 29yo so still young buck) and we take great pride in this. I hope this inspires many people to try porting themselves.
right on TA, that all looks very feasable. i dont get why everyones scared of getting after their heads and intakes on their own, or doing something that others are not doing....thats the way ive always done it. i guess its a safety thing, so and so done this and that and got this result so thats what ill do....sorry, that isnt hot rodding!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Gonna weigh in briefly.

The later LT1 PCM is MAF based and takes to being boosted easily as a result. There was a 2-bar adapted software set for that PCM, but I never had the chance to try it. Converting your car to the later PCM would be a relative po-boy method of control.

Another approach would be to use an FMU or an aux injector or 2 on your current setup. FMU's and AICs have been around for years and work fine. With proper selection of components would work fine.

Any of the aftermarket controllers would obviously work fine, some are cheaper than others. Classic FAST, old-school DFI, and megasquirt would be the least expensive of these I think.

But, converting the stock ECM for 2bar or 3bar is not too simple. You could probably make it run pretty well by just fiddling around with the calibrations. The optimum solution would take some code rewriting. Not impossible but to make it run well is not a small pile of work. Resolution is not really an issue at 2 bar, and 3 bar would run fine IMO.

Just my .02$

Bob
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Welcome to the site and looking forward to the build. Hope you stick it out over here because it is the best site for LTX tech stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, and hopefully you stick around. I'd love to see the build and info that you're talking about. Wherever you go, online or off, you're going to have some people give you advice on stuff...sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.

Either way, it sounds like you'll definately have some great pointers for people during and after your build is done. At the very least, maybe you'll spark some innovation and spread some knowledge in some fellow car guys on here, that's never a bad thing.

Remember, the information and discussions that take place on here might help out somebody years down the road.

Quick Reply: Let Me Introduce Myself