LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 lid swap is easy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does infact look like electrical tape, op its your car, do whatever you want to it, you won't catch me doing it this way though. I have seen worse mods on cars. My buddy from highschool had. An 81 t/a, pulled off the front farings and threw them away! Then he ran it into a stump ****** off, which it can happen, even to the best of us, so instead of just priming the fender, he does it to the whole car and truck bed lines the bottom half of it. The car had also had numerous hacking done on the wiring before he got it, but h went to put a stereo in, and shorted out his headlights, so he put some off road lights in the square holes. I couldn't stop laughing, I love the dude like a brother, he is a great guy, and is also currently serving our country in afganistan, but his idead on cars sometimes is questionable and downright funny, but its his car, he can do what he wants with it. The car now is getting fixed bodywise and a new motor.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you had the ***** to try it.

Revisit and clean it up a bit, its all good.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Id just rather the LS1 instead
Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

waste of a perfectly good slp lid lol...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The electrical tape is just temporarily closing the hole left by some sensor that used to be there, its not connecting the MAF to the lid, the MAF is jammed inside the lid opening. The duct tape on the hose coming out of the passenger side of the throttle body on the other hand, yes that is a hack job but I couldnt find that hose anywhere.

The ported MAF ends I got for free, and have ran both the ported and stock with no noticeable difference, but it was free, so why not keep running it. Same with my underdrive pulley.

The radiator shroud I hacked up just as much as someone who hacks up the LS1 shroud, but this was free. Eventually I will do a nice aluminum piece, but for now, to just get the car on the road and down the track, this will do. The car is BY NO MEANS a show car, it is beaten to hell from 4 years at WVU driving up and down the hills, people opening their car doors into it, someone even backed their hitch over my bumper. Belt buckle marks cover the front fenders. All of the paint is faded and has orange peel like you cant imagine. I even banged a keg off of hte driver side rear fender once on accident. The car litterally is not worth enough to justify selling it, so it is just my tinker toy. It looks how I want it, stock and unassuming, but runs mid 12s with just boltons. Its a sleeper, and I like it that way.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Dude wow..

You really don't see something wrong with doing it that way " as long as you get power"?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Well, the radiator is supported, all the sensors are hooked up, the filter is very tight against the lid, I managed to shed about a pound of weight, what is the problem?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

I guess if it gets the job done for you.

It's kind of like banging a hooker with herpes. As long as you have sex it's sex, whether you catch something or you have to pay for it.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good job working with what ya got! Its Yours do what you want with it!...the most important part is, That the filter IS indeed sealed to the lid? so your not sucking dirt,birds,ricers,panties,and bums into your cylinders
I wouldn't be happy with it...then again my car is in Way better shape ...I say you got some ballz
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Well the raucus Ive stirred up in here is like I walked into a PETA meeting eating a bucket of KFC. Sure to you its wrong, but to me its delicious.

Is it the hacking of the stock radiator shroud that has everyone bent out of shape? Or the electrical tape? Like I said before, Im not done, I am going to start making a ram air setup by cutting out the whole piece between the foglights and making a giant scoop all the way up to the bottom of the lid, and while I am at it working with plastic weld, I will fix the hole in the lid, and make a better radiator shroud. And for those who said "I just couldnt hack up my car like that", wait until my weight reduction starts, Its going to look like the car in the thread "project tin can shooting for 9s".
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Well the raucus Ive stirred up in here is like I walked into a PETA meeting eating a bucket of KFC. Sure to you its wrong, but to me its delicious.

Is it the hacking of the stock radiator shroud that has everyone bent out of shape? Or the electrical tape? Like I said before, Im not done, I am going to start making a ram air setup by cutting out the whole piece between the foglights and making a giant scoop all the way up to the bottom of the lid, and while I am at it working with plastic weld, I will fix the hole in the lid, and make a better radiator shroud. And for those who said "I just couldnt hack up my car like that", wait until my weight reduction starts, Its going to look like the car in the thread "project tin can shooting for 9s".
at the KFC comment.

Only major issue I see is I'd be worried about it damaging the radiator and causing a coolant leak. Other than that, I wouldn't imagine the filter is making a totally effective seal against the lid.

I'm all about function over form so looks are pretty low on my list of what makes a mod good or bad.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

It's the ghetto-rigging.

That can majorly screw up a car.

Say you suck in dirt or rocks, because the seal eventually loosens itself
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

And here is a pic of my freebie ported MAF, for all you haters.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black1995Z28
It's the ghetto-rigging.

That can majorly screw up a car.

Say you suck in dirt or rocks, because the seal eventually loosens itself
The car is not a daily driver, it makes the 20 minute drive to the track, and back. And as soon as I get a trailer, it wont even make that drive.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

goddamn, everyone seems to be in their normal happy moods in this thread.

my only concearn is did you cut this flap the rest of the way out? Its blocking all of your air flow if you didnt. Thats the only thing that i noticed. I did the same about to my car, but i was smart and didnt take close ups that would get me busted Unfortunatly during my cam swap i sat on my stock upper radiator shroud and it cracked, so i need to redo it lol.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slow down and use a ruler...Kudos for attempting the mod, but some of those cuts are WAY off and wont do much for sealing. I cannot imagine that you are not sucking in unfiltered air. Freehanding rough lines works for art book sketches but not fabrication.

Measure twice, cut once.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

The flap is gone, I guess I didnt show that pic. With the bad cuts, yea, it was my first time using a cutoff wheel, which I had just purchased earlier that day, and like I said it cut through the metal like butter, a little too well. The filter sits on the edge of the metal covering up the bad cut, and the lid is really getting pressed hard onto the rubber rim of the filter so it is sealing well. It will seal even better when I put the 2 1/4 inch screws in. The radiator has the top piece of metal bent forward so it is vertical and provides good support for the filter, and something for the lid to compress the rubber of the filter against when the hood is pressing down on it. The car isnt going on the street for a while, I have to remove the AIR, as you can see the hose is still hanging out in the pic, and Id like to remove the ABS and put in a line lock kit, as well as do the fuel line mod, and remove the rest of the emissions and the HVAC box in the firewall.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by borninatransam
your spelling, much like this thread, is full of fail.
Haha. You kill me. I spelled the word right. Oh and lawhead, I chose the word I meant to be there. I was being facetious , because with all those gaps and unsecured parts it may "affect" the OP's mind and make him think its "effective" but all in all its as mullet boy put it, full of fail.

Intended gain: .15sec/1.5 mph
Expected cost: as cheap as possible
Actual outcome: worthless

There are somethings you can mod at home, for everything else buy the right parts.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by white ghost
Haha. You kill me. I spelled the word right. Oh and lawhead, I chose the word I meant to be there. I was being facetious , because with all those gaps and unsecured parts it may "affect" the OP's mind and make him think its "effective" but all in all its as mullet boy put it, full of fail.

Intended gain: .15sec/1.5 mph
Expected cost: as cheap as possible
Actual outcome: worthless

There are somethings you can mod at home, for everything else buy the right parts.
We'll see if its a fail, because unlike most of you bench racers and talkers, I actually take my car to the track, not just look at it, wash it and tell it it runs 12s. There is not 1 single mod on my car that is for asthetics, every single thing I have done to this car has been for performance. Need I remind you what my interior looks like? This was before the door panel and stereo removal.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
We'll see if its a fail, because unlike most of you bench racers and talkers, I actually take my car to the track, not just look at it, wash it and tell it it runs 12s. There is not 1 single mod on my car that is for asthetics, every single thing I have done to this car has been for performance. Need I remind you what my interior looks like? This was before the door panel and stereo removal.

Dude don't get so upset. You came on a public forum showing pictures of how you intentionally hack your car and expect to not atleast get a little ribbing? Its all in good fun buddy. Just to put it out there though you did, leave the filter and lid unsecured, use electrical tape in a main role for something besides electrical wires and tell us that you don't care how it looks, only that it works.

Now on the flip side how much hell would you give someone if they took their t/a and took the lt1 out, replaced it with a 4cyl and took some walmart velcro strips and attached a high rise wing.....just so it would look cool. Doesn't work for ****, but hey that doesn't matter as long as it looks the part. Would seem crazy right?

Quick Reply: LS1 lid swap is easy