LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 lid swap is easy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Mine looked stock appearing when I had my LT1 front end on, direct fit with a 4 inch cowl, ls1 radiator base (lightly trimmed to fit the contours of the core support better) and a SLP airbox...

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z...alvecovers.jpg

That is a great looking setup, what's all involved on swaping the ls1 rad base? Do you have more pics of how you did it? I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the lid swap, but I really want it to look factory, even more so that I don't have screws holding the lid down, is this feasible?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bigj2717
But yet you still have emissions on it, the full heater box, and abs
I can only do 1 thing at a time while also fixing up a house. Im doing weight reduction and suspension first, then going to a 6.0 swap hopefully over the winter. 1 thing at a time. And emissions expired in august of 2008, abs and heater box will be coming out before the season starts. The whole point of this thread was to show that you can do the LS1 lid swap easily, anyone can do it as pretty as they want, I did mine quick and it works.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I can only do 1 thing at a time while also fixing up a house. Im doing weight reduction and suspension first, then going to a 6.0 swap hopefully over the winter. 1 thing at a time. And emissions expired in august of 2008, abs and heater box will be coming out before the season starts. The whole point of this thread was to show that you can do the LS1 lid swap easily, anyone can do it as pretty as they want, I did mine quick and it works.
Alright buf, the flak has gone on long enough. You did something that you felt was worthwhile and did it without anyone elses permission and I applaud you for it. While most of us don't agree with your method, you were one of the few that has the ***** and willingness to try something new and its only the ones in this world that are willing to fail that ever truely succeed. One last thought though...while I agree with form leading function, sometimes you need a rough draft to build from.....I think that's what you have here and what your ultimate intentions are.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

It is only functional as long as it holds together... When done right that is never a concern. I read the same posting from Joel and it is funny because I actually had it open on my laptop at the time that I clicked on your thread I personally thought his looked like *** and me and my buddy were laughing about it. Then I saw yours and well I think I actually threw up in my mouth a little bit. You can't compare what you did to what Joel did. Your short about three pieces of the puzzle if not more. It's not the looks of it that are even the biggest concern although it doesn't help. Every part of this mod were done half *** and nothing completed properly.

It is probably in your best interest to get that trailer because in the long run you will probably save money on having it towed home.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

I think the theme of you 6.0 build thread is going to be jb weld and duct tape.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

GOD! I would hate to hear y'all bust on a Rat Rod..... Dude gets it ,and apparently don't give a **** what anybody thinks ...Hot rodding is doing what you can with what tools and ingenuity you have
And now for your Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIoZ1bsILF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5p8...eature=related
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idformula

That is a great looking setup, what's all involved on swaping the ls1 rad base? Do you have more pics of how you did it? I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the lid swap, but I really want it to look factory, even more so that I don't have screws holding the lid down, is this feasible?
Sent you a PM. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks again! I was told it couldnt be done and I wanted to prove I could do it and be the first one to do so.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
damn normally I wouldn't comment but damn dude that gives us ls1 lid swappers a bad look! I hope you can work out a new shroud cuz that looks like *** and disfunctional! Good luck...
Agreed! BUF, I think it was the big chunk of steel you left hanging there and the messed up notch job that really shocked people. Also a little simple green and a spray mist of water to the engine compartment goes a long way. I would have cleaned those things up before posting pics for all to see.

If anyone else is planning to do the lid swap please try to p/u a LS1 shroud to go along with it, it make a world of difference in the end. Here's how mine turned out:

More pics:

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=3&carid=32219

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 02-01-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

^^^NICE JOB GREGG 97Z ! heres a link to mine in this thread that has a few thumbnail pics. I'm waiting for my good ol' taxes to finish it up, still need a couple misc things.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-lid-swap.html
Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you guys about the hood?
I dont think the Lid will clear a stock Lt1 Camaro hood.
Do you have to use a cowl hood for this mod
Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RGSS
stock hood is fine ,when done this way ..research http://joelrdevriendt.com/?p=46
Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On a WS6 lt1 it is really easy
Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RGSS
Mine is with a stock Z28 hood, pics in my link above show the minor clearancing done to it.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done Gregg.
Looks almost stock.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Had totally forgotten about this thread until someone on another board asked for pictures and how I did it. For an update, I added the chrs1313 ram air scoop. I never saw definitive results, never got to do back to back or anything close of runs with just this, as I added rockers, springs, 9" and other stuff at the same time. For those that really want to know, no I do not think I gained 1.5mph and 0.1 seconds like some claim. As I've gotten older I look back at this and shake my head. I totally could have done it cleaner with the cutoff wheel. One day ill weld closed the runaway cut, but it doesn't affect anything. The flap that's in the pic is just me showing as I bent it back before cutting it off. It's not there and never was. The chrs1313 scoop pulls from above the plastic thing below the radiator so it gets cool air. If I could do it again, a straight edge, a ruler, and tape would have been used for a cleaner cut. But overall, 3 years and 3000 miles later its never budged. I sold my k&n on Craigslist to a kid with a red formula, and (small world) when my friend bought a formula it was the one I sold the intake to and it's still in that car. If I get a weekend, ill try to do back to back runs for a comparison. One HUGE bonus for the lid vs CAI is ease of removal, that alone may be reason enough to do this mod, 2 band clamps and 2 zip screws and its off vs wrestling under the car to get that CAI bolt on and getting the cone back on.

LESSON LEARNED FOR THOSE WHO READ THIS:
Take your time, there's no reason you need to botch up your car when doing this. Don't drink and use a cutoff wheel for the first time ever, it cuts too easy. When your 24 with a few beers in you working on your track car is a different frame of mind than when your 27 and decide to make it more street friendly again and want to be proud of your car. But overall, I do wish I had done this from the beginning, it's cheaper than a CAI and done right, looks clean and works.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 04-16-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 lid swap is easy