LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rotating Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating Assembly

Kind of on the fence about how to go about doing this..... With all the different places to purchase cranks, rods, and pistons there are better deals on different pieces at different places. I'd like to go for the better deals but don't know if it would be a good idea to buy everything at different places. Is it a bad idea to get a rotating as. that isn't balanced or is it expensive to have your local machine shop balance it all from scratch. I plan on going with callies dragonslayer crank, an h beam or billet rod (compstar or maybe oliver), and srp pro pistons. Could someone give me some insight??
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO it's always better to let your machine shop do ALL of the machining and balancing. That way if there's any issues with the rotating assembly it's on the shop, not on you and your box of parts.

What's wrong with your current rotating assembly? I see you're a 383 already to begin with.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

with quality components like mentioned ^...will balancing be a chore as far as adding or taking away metal? I don't want to get into it and have a ton of cash in trying to get everything balanced. The assembly in the engine now came balanced but i had it double checked and my guy did a little polish work to get it closer. Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it both ways, bought my parts to the machine shop and picked the rotating assembly and had them get it from the vendor but I always had the machine shop do the balancing. The machine shop ordered my new setup from Howards with a Tracksmart 4340 crank, H beam 4340 rods with ARP 2000 capscrews and Mahle forged ft pistons.
I also found a great deal on a Cola 4340 crank and SRP dished pistons from AC Hotrod and I'm going to get a set of H beam rods and put it together for my 95 S10 Blazer. So to me what matters most is the quality of the machine shop and the work they do.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Balancing isn't that expensive. The dragonslayer crank balances internal very easily.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

225 To get my short block balanced down here
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im runing a callies magnum crank with oliver billets and a light SRP pro series piston.......it balanced very well a local race machine shop did it for $300...........i know flatlanderracing has really good prices on that stuff.........as for clearancing i did it all of it and just told the shop what had to be removed from where........but if you're not familliar with it just have the shop do all the clearancing.....

Quick Reply: Rotating Assembly