LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coolant flush question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant flush question

not directly lt1 related but can be useful if anyone has this issue

friend has a 03 impala I did a heater core flush with straight water, core was clogged with a ton of crap, water was a deep orange for like 30 minutes of water flow.

I also did the same thing with the radiator and hoses, both pulling the thermostat and flushing the block as well as running through the radiator. water was ran until it came out clear. coolant was replaced with "universal antifreeze".

she was back later that night with her overflow tank absolutely filled with a clay/putty like material (dark orange).

I re-flushed it and have done 2 more flushes since then trying to get all this crap out of her cooling system. she is still having issues and i am trying to get a final solution.

sorry about the book. but any ideas on a good product to use to get all of this crap out of her cooling system?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know but it almost sounds like something else went on before you got it. I have had many dexcool cars and never had that much crap in any of them and all of them had 100k on them before I did a flush. Kinda sounds like someone put some other fluid in there by mistake. I run the yellow universal car now as well in several cars with no discoloring from clogs left behind. Either it was overheated with low coolant many times or someone put the wrong **** in there.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah Dexcool is some funny stuff, it turns into what looks like strawberry jam when it gets old and DOES NOT like to be mixed with other antifreeze. also, on those impalas and malibus with the 3.1 and 3.4 engines the intake gasket is guarenteed to leak cooland into the oil, or oil into the coolant after 100K miles check around the intake gasket to see if you can see any seepage or wetness, if so its time do do the intake gasket