LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom end?

So spring is around the corner and I'm excited to say good bye to the -43 Celsius temps. I'm going to order an LE2 package, new springs, roller rockers, timing chain, fuel pump, injectors with a nice tune.

I really want to make it into the 10s by summer time when a local drag strip opens up but I don't think its possible without nitrous or some forced induction.

My question is how much rwhp will the bottom end hold up too? I was not planning on building the bottom end up but I really wanna procharge it and I'm not sure on the weak points of the bottom end are. I heard the lt1 bottom end is fairly strong? If I have to build the bottom end up suggestions?

83000miles on the car, engine was rebuilt at 70000 as well as the transmisson.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

LT1s are very strong from the factory, but are you more concerned with RWHP on a dyno or actually running the number? Can you put a stock bottom end LT1 in the 10s? - yes. Keep away from detonation and you're good to go. Now if you wanted to strengthen the bottom end for piece of mind and a little more longevity on a supercharged motor, I'd look at upgrading the rods and pistons. The crank I wouldn't touch, they're pretty strong.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crank is strong, rods aren't too bad if the bolts have been replaced but it's about the same price for a set of decent forged I beams, pistons should really be replaced.