LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Ticking! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow LT1 Ticking! Help!

JUST got my car out of the shop today. 95 trans am lt1/lt4 swap. Was passing another vehicle and when shifting to fourth i missed, didn't think anything of it. Parked it. Drove it again and a few miles later i hear this aweful ticking, pulled the valve covers and everythings fine, push rod maybe? At an idle, you cant hear it. It only sounds when you give a fluent amount of throttle, alot of throttle, it goes away, it also sounds while decelerating.

Help if you can.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes a mess but you could start it with out valve covers and see if the rockers are loose, you can also pull the pushrods and make sure they are not bent by rolling them on a flat surface. Could be a lifter or a pushrod.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Could just be someh=thing simple like an exhaust leak. Tighten your headers, or replace gackets.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Pulled the valve covers last night. Placed a towel over the headers and cranked it, the ticking isn't as noticeable at an idle like previously stated. I did notice although, i could feel the ticking moreso on the driver side. Sounded like it was just below the intake, I'm hopeing It's just a bent push rod. I'll pull the valve covers back off after i warm it up for a while and try the ol' stethascope trick when i get home today. See if i can't single one out. The lifters and everything felt pretty solid last night. Didn't want to dig too deep since it was dark.

In responce to the exhuast theory.

Recently changed to crush gaskets about 1600 miles ago since my long tube headers seemed to not wanna cooperate with regular ones.....I've tightened them up twice since then, and once last night. Started it, and the noise went away.....I was excited....Till' it warmed up a proceeded to do the same thing as it was.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a sticky lifter. But i would double check everything to make sure it isnt anything more severe.

Quick Reply: LT1 Ticking! Help!