LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low oil pressure need help

Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure need help

When the car was running it was working great oil pressure was always at 40psi when cruising and at about 20-25 idling at 1000rpm. Then the icm and opti took a dump and the car sat for 4 months but at fist i did not know what was wrong with the car because it had spark and gas but i would not fire up, so now the oil smells like it has a lot of gas in it because of all the times i tried to get it to fire up and the spark plugs where all gunked up to i took them all out and cleaned them with some gas put them back in. I needed new lifters because i was still running stock one so i ordered some ls7 lifters got a new opti and a new icm put everything on myself adjusted the rocker put the intake back on put the new opti on and icm tried to turn in on and it fired right up but it would not hold idle and would shut off if i did not have my foot on the gas i tried to drive it and it felt like it had no power at all. I let it run for a while then it would hold idle at about 6-700rpm but then would go lower and then just turn off and that's when i noticed the low oil when it was trying to hold idle by it self it would drop down to 0psi but when i would give it gas it would go up to about 15-20psi and at about 4000-5000rpm it would struggle to go up to 35-40psi but keep in mind the car is not drive able i took it down the rode just about 100 or so feet and it was back firing underloaded and just running like **** would that cause it to have low oil. so what im saying is does this make sense car running fine then its parked and now it has low oil presser and its running like **** i know its the plugs but that still does not explain the low oil...the motor only has about 8k on it it was a fresh rebuild done my the previous owner i have all the receipts to back it up its a stock gm oil pump could it go bad just siting there ??? mods are 355 lt4 hot cam comp cam spring and rods 1.6 vortec rockers and bolt ons...with the low oil presser i had the car runnign for about 10m so if its a bad pump for some dumb reason can i just replace it and be ok any advice would help thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

any one ?? have any input
Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

If you have gas in the oil,the pressure will be low. I would change that first. You need to verify you oil and fuel pressures with a mechanical guage. You may have a leaky injector(s). Take them out with the rail connected and check them.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

ok thanks im going to change the oil tomorrow and i pulled the fuel rail off and non of my injectors are leaking, but the reason why i have gas in the oil is because of all the times i tried to turn on the car.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil + gas = bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil + a LOT of gas = VERY bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Teching In

First off, you should change the oil and plugs and probably the plug wires while your at it. I wouldnt trust the gauge on the instrument cluster by the way, mine seem to have a mind of there own sometimes. I dont really understand what you did with the car for four months after the opti took a dump but you cant diagnose a low oil pressure problem until you fix all the other stuff causing your car to run bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

At the time i did not have money to fix the car thats why it sat for so long but the first week or so after the car stopped working i was trying to diagnose the problem and thats when i saturated the oil with gas from try to get it to fire up...but i will get all the lil things done like new oil plugs and the wires are good they are 10.4mm taylor wires and after that ill post up with some up dates and thanks for the help i just hope i dont have to replace anything internal because if some im just going to part the car out and cut my losses
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why on earth do you need such big wires? Fact is you don't. A standard 7 or 8mm wire works fine.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

huge plugs wires are more of a hassle than they're worth, hell I think even routing 8mm is a PITA compared to stockers.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

The wires came on the car when i got it, and thanks for the advice i had some friends with lt1s that are looking at getting some too. Ill let them know its not worth it and to just keep the regular ones.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

ok update i put some new oil in the car 15w-40 and at cold start i got 60psi and at temp at idle 40psi thanks for the help guys
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Why on earth do you need such big wires? Fact is you don't. A standard 7 or 8mm wire works fine.
11mm Moroso Ultra 40's FTMFW!!!!!

but yea agreed not needed on a stock car.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low oil pressure need help