LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best option for a 52 mm TB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011 | 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Best option for a 52 mm TB?

Aftermarket or the ebay remans that are bored to 52 with new throttle plates? Whats the best quality ones out there? I heard some have sticky throttles that dont close all the way, etc. Thoughts...
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Rebored stocker. The IAC stays isolated and the bypass is drilled. ALL the aftermarket take work to make function properly, not worth that effort unless you need a 58mm.
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Rebored stocker. The IAC stays isolated and the bypass is drilled. ALL the aftermarket take work to make function properly, not worth that effort unless you need a 58mm.
Any recommendations or the ebay ones proven?
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd go with the one who has the best feedback..or the TPIS one..I hear there pretty good...
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlpz
I'd go with the one who has the best feedback..or the TPIS one..I hear there pretty good...
Just scared of ebay purchases, I mean clear corners or such is ok, but an engine part is kinda scary since who knows who or where the part comes from.
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Get the most expensive ported stock one, i believe they are around $200. The cheaper ones are knockoffs of the more expensive. Id spring for the 54mm and open up your intake, same price but you get a little more flow.
Old 02-27-2011 | 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Get the most expensive ported stock one, i believe they are around $200. The cheaper ones are knockoffs of the more expensive. Id spring for the 54mm and open up your intake, same price but you get a little more flow.
Ok, wasnt sure if 54 mm was overkill for a small cammed/bolt on lt1. I do have a spare intake manifold I was thinking of sending off to LE to get ported.
Old 02-27-2011 | 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd take 96capricemgr..advice..I think a 52mm is sufficient for you application. Like I said might wanna check out the guys feedback...and see what other people say about the quality of the work done.
Old 02-27-2011 | 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I had his 52 and it worked great. After i got it I found out he had a 54, would have gone with that. Its a solid piece and comes in 3 colors
Old 02-27-2011 | 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlpz
I'd take 96capricemgr..advice..I think a 52mm is sufficient for you application. Like I said might wanna check out the guys feedback...and see what other people say about the quality of the work done.
Yeah, he is one of the few that when they say something, i listen...
Old 02-27-2011 | 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

negative ghost rider, outside of a tune and intake porting (that any TB over 54mm will require) my cheap *** professional products TB required zero modification to function properly and has never stuck. the professional products tb cost a little under $200 for me if I remember correctly and is the same as the Summit brand one I think.

also I believe someone did a test between a 52mm and 58mm on a pretty mild h/c car and picked up a decent amount of power with the 58mm over the 52mm.

EDIT: found the link (credit to zdriver96 for the article)

http://mafia-motorsports.com/forums/...ml?pagenumber=

Last edited by myltwon; 02-27-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2011 | 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myltwon
negative ghost rider, outside of a tune my cheap *** professional products TB required zero modification to function properly and has never stuck.
Old 02-28-2011 | 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by myltwon
negative ghost rider, outside of a tune and intake porting (that any TB over 54mm will require) my cheap *** professional products TB required zero modification to function properly and has never stuck. the professional products tb cost a little under $200 for me if I remember correctly and is the same as the Summit brand one I think.

So you are saying the IAC is sealed and the IAC bypass hole is drilled? Or are you just another idiot who doesn't understand things and has either a maxed out IAC at cold start or cracked the blades open?

If there is actually an aftermarket TB that is TRULY built right great, but I am going to guess you only say it is 100% right because you aren't smart enough to know what right is.

The pictures on professional products website show the IAC passage not sealed.
http://www.professional-products.com/throttleLT1.php

Far as the power gains from a 58mm vs a 52mm I did not go there at all but then again you aren't bright enough to posses basic reading skills. I said that the extra sealing of the IAC and drilling the bypass hole was not worth the effort unless you needed the 58mm no comment on when you need it.

For those of you who actually want to understand what right is.
http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html

My OLD BBK had the IAC sealed but not the bypass hole, a friend's newer BBK is like pictured.
Old 02-28-2011 | 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

So you are saying the IAC is sealed and the IAC bypass hole is drilled? Or are you just another idiot who doesn't understand things and has either a maxed out IAC at cold start or cracked the blades open?

If there is actually an aftermarket TB that is TRULY built right great, but I am going to guess you only say it is 100% right because you aren't smart enough to know what right is.

The pictures on professional products website show the IAC passage not sealed.
http://www.professional-products.com/throttleLT1.php

Far as the power gains from a 58mm vs a 52mm I did not go there at all but then again you aren't bright enough to posses basic reading skills. I said that the extra sealing of the IAC and drilling the bypass hole was not worth the effort unless you needed the 58mm no comment on when you need it.

For those of you who actually want to understand what right is.

My OLD BBK had the IAC sealed but not the bypass hole, a friend's newer BBK is like pictured.
well my car runs perfectly fine and datalogging shows no values out of spec but since you said it in your usually sandy vagina butt hurt fest tone I'm sure it's true.

as for the 58mm vs 52mm you said "UNLESS YOU NEED A 58MM" my post was basically a "why buy the same part twice" suggestion that a 58mm isn't some high horsepower only part like much of the world makes it out to be. the sig of the OP says he is building a "10 second camaro" so why would he spend what seems like damn near the same money (I read someone saying around $200 for a ported stock unit) as a brand new polished 58mm that worst case scenario might require some time. I posted a link of someone who actually did testing between the two on a mild h/c car and showed gains all across the board.
Old 02-28-2011 | 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

So can we take that as confirmation that you just don't know any better?

I have a real problem with people who have to "correct" the already appropriate information given. You are a disease that stops many actually knowledgeable folks from posting so they don't have to argue with you.

The idle issues IN THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED are proof I am right about aftermarket TBs needing further modification, send the guy the link I offered and it will fix it for him. The AS&M stuff is nice and I would almost bet on a flowbench it works better than the cheap chinese stuff. The thing is a piece of art.

I did not look at his signature but I did look at the title Best option for a 52 mm TB?

Old 02-28-2011 | 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

So can we take that as confirmation that you just don't know any better?

I have a real problem with people who have to "correct" the already appropriate information given. You are a disease that stops many actually knowledgeable folks from posting so they don't have to argue with you.

The idle issues IN THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED are proof I am right about aftermarket TBs needing further modification, send the guy the link I offered and it will fix it for him. The AS&M stuff is nice and I would almost bet on a flowbench it works better than the cheap chinese stuff. The thing is a piece of art.

I did not look at his signature but I did look at the title Best option for a 52 mm TB?
I was never trying to say no aftermarket tb's need modification, nor was I using the 52mm vs 58mm article to prove any such point. I am have only posted that with my own tb, on my own car, with my tune, shows no problems in either driveability or data logging. I was simply using that article to show that in a mild h/c car there are gains to be had when opting for the larger tb.

I was not comparing a professional products to a high end tb that costs around twice the price. I would hope for the price difference there would be some gains outside of a brand name. I was comparing it to a stock tb sold on ebay ported by Joe Shmoe since the prices are comparable. personally I would trust a cast piece that I personally own and have inspected to find no rough edges or burrs than a 16 year old throttle body that might have been ported by some random asshat on ebay who attacked it with a dremel.
Old 02-28-2011 | 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Again you simply are not aware enough to see the issues with your compromised IAC system.

Again the thread you linked to the poster noticed those idle issues supporting my statement that the aftermarket TBs need additional modification.

I know it sucks for you that you backed up my statement, get over it and maybe you will learn something
Old 02-28-2011 | 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Again you simply are not aware enough to see the issues with your compromised IAC system.

Again the thread you linked to the poster noticed those idle issues supporting my statement that the aftermarket TBs need additional modification.

I know it sucks for you that you backed up my statement, get over it and maybe you will learn something
you're right I'm not aware, you've obviously driven my car and datalogged it. I said with my personal experience, not "hey caprice read this article because this guy had no problems too"

I post the article to prove a power difference between a 52mm and 58mm throttle body. you ignore this fact and simply search for an unrelated part to back up your own generalized claim while ignoring the whole reason such an article was brough into the discussion.

you bring a $400+ throttle body into the discussion of a $200 throttle vs another $200 throttle body with no explanation as to why except to talk down an aftermarket throttle body you have zero experience with. oh no a chinese part put on our mexican/canadian muscle car the shame!

you completely ignore every part of my post that you can't retort. you're blinded by your own ego and refuse to see any of your own faults and admit you were wrong in any single regard because giving up an inch would compromise the integrity of the internet persona you've spent so many years creating.

seriously get over yourself, everyone on this site thinks you're a douche no matter how right or wrong you might be.

Last edited by myltwon; 02-28-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2011 | 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

...Well on another note, 96capricemgr, do you still make / sell that little aluminum peace? If that was even you to begin with ...lol
Old 02-28-2011 | 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

TL;DR

For my $0.02, I installed a Professional Products 52mm TB on my cam-only '97 SS a long time ago. I got it for 170 brand new, can't argue much with that. I ran that TB for several years. It did stick on occation but it was hardly enough of a nuisance to motivate me to get another one. With my mail order tune I didn't notice any idle issues.

Quick Reply: Best option for a 52 mm TB?