LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power Steering Setups...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Setups...

I got a madman alt bracket to mount the alt down low on the drivers side, but I need to keep my power steering. Al Grove sells a bracket kit to mount a type II power steering pump low on the drivers side, but how should I run the lines?

I was going to get a large aluminum reservoir and mount it on the drivers side frame rail and then get some -10 and -6 braided line to connect everything, but I still have to connect it to the rack, any ideas there?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decided to change it up a little more I see. Did the other setup work out well for you? I have only our 200 street miles on mine from the time I modded it all. No track time at all.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by litch2004
Decided to change it up a little more I see. Did the other setup work out well for you? I have only our 200 street miles on mine from the time I modded it all. No track time at all.
Probably 2-3k miles and lots of 7k rpm and no troubles at all. I'm going for something a little cleaner without the pulley up top and I'd like to get more power steering fluid so I have a less chance of it overheating. I'm trying to get into autox and I know having the power steering fluid boil over is a common problem, so I guess I'm going to try to fix it before it starts

That and my stock aluminum bracket was stripped by the PO and the power steering pump has to be checked every so often, and I'm sick of that. I tried to heli coil it and it didn't really work that well.

So cleaner and cooler is where I'm headed now, I guess I'll see where it takes me haha

Also is anyone using a power steering cooler? If so what one are you using??
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a factory ls1 style cooler, or I should say wad using before I changed it all. Good to hear it worked out wot can always sell to get some money back. And mine is also stripped out on the upper bolt by PO lol
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking at speedwaymotors website and they offer a low mount bracket for type II pumps, but its for SBC. Will it clear the opti or will it be in the way?? Heres the instructions and a pic of where it mounts http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/910-32912.pdf

Looks like this project is going to be a PITA LOL, but whats new I guess
Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Well I ordered a resy and power steering bracket from speedway yesterday for $70 shipped too good of a deal to pass on. Now I need the power steering pump and some lines and adapters and I might be good to go.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Setups...