LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

would like some advice/help...kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would like some advice/help...kinda long

First off, I wanna start off by saying that I'm not completely new to all of this. I have been reading these message boards for a long time.
But anyway here is my situation. I have a 95 Z28 that I bought a couple years ago for $900. The engine in it was just rebuilt before I bought it but the previous owner could not get the engine to fire. So I pulled the engine out and took off the heads and intake only to find a couple pushrods shoved through a couple stamped rocker pockets and a couple more broken pushrods in the lifter valley. Turns out he installed the biggest xfi LT1 cam (xfi292 ?) And put the stock rockers with Crane dual valve springs in it. After pulling the heads off I noticed a few of the pistons had some marks on them that indicated that the intake valves were hitting the pistons. On 2 of the pistons, it looks as if the valve got hung up in the relief and "pulled" some of the metal up.

I have since started collecting parts for a rebuild and now I have run into a few questions. I know that I will have to replace the pistons but I am not sure which ones to use. I will be keeping the stock rods and crank but will I need to buy pistons that require a pressed wrist pin or does that matter? Anyone have a recommendation?

Also, before someone asks, this is not a daily driver but rather a weekend cruising-street/strip car. I already have a very nice set of heads, with a ported and corrected intake, 58mm BBK throttle body, CC503 cam (it was free so don't say to get a different custom cam), I have an A/C delete pulley and have removed the A/C box from the firewall, and a set of pacesetter mid length headers & y-pipe (came with the car). I also have 2 more blocks, 3 sets of heads (2 aluminum, 1 cast), 2 more intakes with stock throttle bodies. My only problem is, I don't have any extra rotating assembly parts.

My main goal right now is to just get this thing running. I am tired of seeing it sit. I want to keep the compression up a bit, but not crazy either.

Thanks. I know ill have more questions late.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Oh, forgot to mention, I am on a family man with 2 kids budget. Lol. And I will probably be putting a small shot of n2o from time to time. I know stock pistons will handle a 150 shot for quite some time too. Been there done that one.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome to ls1tech...I see its your first couple of posts.
This may not be the most popular opinion but I think a set of the mahle replacement hypers will suit you just fine, especially if you are just looking to get it running for now. The factory shortblock has been proven time and time again and it comes with the mahle pistons. As a matter of fact I have seen in a different thread where the factory shortblock has gotten down into the 9's in the quarter with heads cam and nitrous.
Are you going to bore it out or leave it stock displacement ? Either way they come in standard and overbore sizes. I just wouldn't go with too big of a shot of nitrous with them, after all the pistons aren't forged.
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what heads did you get? I seen you have a very nice set, just curious to what you got.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. Where is a good place to buy these piston from?
I have the AI 200cc heads and matching intake.