LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FML! bent 8 rods today

Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FML! bent 8 rods today

so i was workin on my TA at school today and i put a new opti on and noticed the cam gear bolts were only finger tight and the third one the head was snapped off. so my buddy pulled the other two out to locktite and the cam gear fell down. didnt think anything of it bc it bolted right back up when i pushed it up. got it back together and started it and it sounded like athousand bolts hit the floor. cam and crank were 180' off time. boner killer haha
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

that sucks man, time to pull the heads and check valves
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear about the bent rods ... I hope the valves are ok.

I do have a question though;
I hear people say "180 off" or "180 out" from time to time. But I don't understand how it matters.
That crankshaft spins twice for every time the cam spins once. The crank doesn't care which
cycle it's on .. it does the same thing to compress as it would to exhaust. So if you line up dot to dot,
how does this cause damage? It sounds like the cam sprocket went back on somewhere other than dot to dot.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Teching In

haha yeah man we fucked up but its sittin in my collage all tore up. valves looked good new rods are gonna be here tomor. tho
Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stephanj51
haha yeah man we fucked up but its sittin in my collage all tore up. valves looked good new rods are gonna be here tomor. tho
Oh well, at least it was a relatively inexpensive lesson-learned.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how would doing this cause you to bend the rods? I dont get it. Do you mean pushrods or connecting rods?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

i think he means pushrods.. and for some reason i feel like iv read this same story before but it was 2 "Rodz"
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by foggedz
how would doing this cause you to bend the rods? I dont get it. Do you mean pushrods or connecting rods?
PUSHrods

<-- NOT MINE, random google images pic

Can happen if your pistons jam the valves back up into the head because
a) timing chain skips, breaks or is set wrong
b) you overtighten your rockers

I'd rather bend a pushrod than break a valve or damage a piston anyday.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

yeah...check that cam timing...wow.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too, thought he meant connecting rods... I was thinking "how the f*ck did you bend every one of 'em?"
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

so i was workin on my TA at school today and i put a new opti on and noticed the cam gear bolts were only finger tight and the third one the head was snapped off. so my buddy pulled the other two out to locktite and the cam gear fell down. didnt think anything of it bc it bolted right back up when i pushed it up. got it back together and started it and it sounded like athousand bolts hit the floor. cam and crank were 180' off time. boner killer haha
This section is always entertaining. There are so many things to question from your post I will ask 2 questions:

1. Why did you remove the timing cover to change an opti?
2. The gear fell off and you want us to believe the cam magically aligned 180 degrees out of phase?

With heads, push rods and springs on a car you don't simply turn a cam with your finger. To get a cam to turn to align 180 degrees out of phase doesn't just happen. Sounds like a story but not one I believe.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
This section is always entertaining. There are so many things to question from your post I will ask 2 questions:

1. Why did you remove the timing cover to change an opti?
2. The gear fell off and you want us to believe the cam magically aligned 180 degrees out of phase?

With heads, push rods and springs on a car you don't simply turn a cam with your finger. To get a cam to turn to align 180 degrees out of phase doesn't just happen. Sounds like a story but not one I believe.

Good luck
Only thing I can think of is its a 93. IIRC you can see the cam sprocket with the opti out.

I do agree that you cannot turn the cam or crank easily at any point on an assembled engine. Unless its worn the *** out and no valve train in installed. LMAO Cant wait for further explanation.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Well I took the gear off b.c on bolt was snapped off inside the can and the others were finger tight so I was going to put thread locker on them as for how it got turned Idk BC I sure the hell didn't turn it over but when I pulled it apart both timing marks were at the top nope cam mark at bottom and crank mark at top like its supposed to be
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlownEarDrums
Only thing I can think of is its a 93. IIRC you can see the cam sprocket with the opti out.

I do agree that you cannot turn the cam or crank easily at any point on an assembled engine. Unless its worn the *** out and no valve train in installed. LMAO Cant wait for further explanation.
I think you have it backward. An early LT1 uses a splined shaft that goes through a small hole in the timing cover, and the early setup shows almost none of the cam. You could never see the bolts on an early LT...
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Well I took the gear off b.c on bolt was snapped off inside the can and the others were finger tight so I was going to put thread locker on them as for how it got turned Idk BC I sure the hell didn't turn it over but when I pulled it apart both timing marks were at the top nope cam mark at bottom and crank mark at top like its supposed to be
Well you must have great eyesight because I just changed the opti on my truck and I couldn't see the cam bolts and I have alot more room between radiator and opti than an F Body.

There seems to be many mysteries in this section so a cam turning itself is nothing out of the ordinary.

Good luck on valves not being bent.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are not rods. They are push rods.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
I think you have it backward. An early LT1 uses a splined shaft that goes through a small hole in the timing cover, and the early setup shows almost none of the cam. You could never see the bolts on an early LT...
Thats right. I guess I don't change optis enough. Thankfully.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh damn! I was drawn to this thread because of the "8 Bent Rods" and it turns out it's pushrods. I was so excited to see how the F someone bent 8 connecting rods. Anyways, hope you get it fixed and at least you're learning.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I don't have anything backwards its a 1997 lt1 not an early one if you ask me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FML! bent 8 rods today