LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 or paxton supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 or paxton supercharger?

Hey guys kind of new to the sight. I have a 1990 pickup with an lt1 in it. I am in the process of rebuilding the bottom end of the engine. What do you guys think will be the most baang for the buck? The engine allready has a decent crane cam in it. I was looking at stroking it but the money is'nt cheap. I have a tunedport paxton setup that I could easily make work on my lt1 its an sn92. I am a t a loss of which to do. I f i sold the blower it would pay for the stroker setup. But would it give the kind of numbers a supercharger would give? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Shawn
Old 02-19-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

The supercharger might make the power but from my understanding, the power curve will be steep. (Because since it's belt driven, it has to be turning high RPM to reach full boost.) With a stroker, you'll be making more average power with more of a flat curve. Get a good cam and you'll be making power throughout.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

thats not always true. There are alot of SC that make full boost at 2k rpm. The belt driven part is the whole reason it can get boost fast, it is also the reason they are parasitic adders. It takes alot of power to run the SC, so your gas mileage will go down. But i would still go 383, more potential.

BTW: if you take 2 identical engines, one turbo and one SC, under the EXACT same boost, a turbo will gain an extra 10-15% more power. Just a though. So you could run lower boost and get the same power out of a turbo, thus make your engine last longer.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a 383. Your going to have to build your motor for a sueprcharger anyway, thus doubling the cost. A 383 would be the wisest and most effecient.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by disco192
thats not always true. There are alot of SC that make full boost at 2k rpm. The belt driven part is the whole reason it can get boost fast, it is also the reason they are parasitic adders. It takes alot of power to run the SC, so your gas mileage will go down. But i would still go 383, more potential.

BTW: if you take 2 identical engines, one turbo and one SC, under the EXACT same boost, a turbo will gain an extra 10-15% more power. Just a though. So you could run lower boost and get the same power out of a turbo, thus make your engine last longer.
Right, I guess it depends on which SC you buy. Some claim more low end boost and some obviously don't have the low end boost. But I'm not for sure which ones are the best.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your PM's Sevans 327

Quick Reply: 383 or paxton supercharger?