LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Formula Interior Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Letum
Well, Ive come to find a few people that were willing to help me in my interior swap progress. But what with the new rule of not being able to use the PM feature until you have 50 posts or more, I cant reply to said people. So I haven't been able to get any parts.

Im sorry to all that I have had prior engagements with! I'm not ignoring you!

Anyway.
The one thing I did manage to do is Dye my visors, dark grey. Since they were tan to begin with, I used rit dye, did NOT use hot water, and did NOT use salt, and thus they turned grey, just as I had planned.

My next step is to dye my headliner. Hopefully it won't sag once I do this.
I didn't fully read this thread, but did you do anything for seats yet?

An option you could use is a place like leatherseats.com (there are others) and "reskin" your tan cloth seats to black or very dark gray leather. I did mine black in my 95 camaro (which doesn't have an ebony interior but is very very dark for 93-96) and it turned out great imo. You can also reskin your cloth seats to black or dark gray cloth as well (I'm not sure where to buy though).

Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a really good idea. I like the look of that as well. Very clean. How much did you get all of that done for? If you don't mind sharing.
Ill definitely be looking into this for the leather seats, unless I can find someone to come off of theirs for a decent price.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Letum
That is a really good idea. I like the look of that as well. Very clean. How much did you get all of that done for? If you don't mind sharing.
Ill definitely be looking into this for the leather seats, unless I can find someone to come off of theirs for a decent price.
It was about $700, which is pretty much what everyone asks for USED leather seats around here this way the outer skins on your seats will be brand new as well. Make sure to do some ghetto repair work to the foam underneath as well (especially the driver's seat). Which I did is cut up scraps of my cloth seats and glue the pieces where the foam was thin or cracked. No one will see is so what does it matter?

It's really really easy to do as well, except the door panels which I have not gotten around to doing. You can do all the work on the couch or bed watching TV

Oh and if you're concerned with what color to go with, just ask and they will send you some samples.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM

This is amazing! Thats not bad for all leather, and new leather I might add. If I did take this route I would definitely get black, I like that much better than grey leather any day. And Yes the touch ups from under the seats is a good idea. Im glad you threw that in. I would have been too excited to have cared and probably just went ahead and put the leather on not even thinking. Lol.

This is all good advice! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you use the paint (vinyl/fabric dye) make sure to use the adhesion promoter they make to go along with it. It will really make your dye job hold up. I knew a guy who dyed a factory blue vinyl interior in a 70 Chevelle to all white and it looked great years later. He actually drove and used the car occasionally too. It didn't just sit. He'd done the seats, dash, door panels, everything but the carpet which he bought new....and not in white. lol

I wouldn't have ever believed it would hold up more than a few days.

All that being said....I'd try to find a parts car to snag everything from including seats. Don't worry about the whether they are cloth or leather....or about rips. Just cover them like Roxie did. Those look awesome. I bought some carpet on the classified section cheap. Take the Merv up on his and see if you can get a ride in that MCSS while you're at it. LOL Would definately make it worth the trip.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Letum, how did the dye work out for you? I've heard good and bad stories about it. I tried to dye my old carpet in the green car and that turned out to be a huge mistake, it rubbed off on just about anything that touched it.

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 05-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 335 Likes on 255 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've looked into the dye for my car..I want to dye the center console.
Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Take the Merv up on his and see if you can get a ride in that MCSS while you're at it. LOL Would definately make it worth the trip.
Hey man I don't give my carpet up on the first date..

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
..and that turned out to be a huge mistake, it rubbed off on just about anything that touched it.
That's why you're a virgin..

Last edited by the_merv; 05-10-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 AM

1961, I definitely plan on meeting him here sometime soon, weve just gotta get out schedules in line lol. But I'll definitely ask him about that lol.

And Kenny,
The dye is holding up great on my visors. Doesn't rub off on anything. But then again, I didn't follow the manufactures orders.
But I can tell you exactly what happened to your carpet. You see, I got into cosmetology there for a while so I played around with wigs a lot. The same synthetic "hair" that is used in wigs is basically the same formula to make your carpet. That being said, you take cloth and dye it, the pores in the fabric soak it up and it stays in place. You take it and dump it on synthetics and it basically beads up on the fibers. Just about the comparison to water on a windshield. Same scenario. So as it dried onto the fibers, it gave it the look that is was dyed, but as you touch it and move on it, all the "crust" per say flakes off. Thus your back to square one. That's why it didn't work. Just not quite the right material to be using for dye. An easy fix though would have been to just run to walmart and go to the automotive section, and back where the floor mats are, they literally have rolls of black and grey carpet that you can cut to the shape of your floor board and voila, new carpet.

Sorry for the rant. That's just one thing I definitely know about.

Fibers don't hold color, fabrics do!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Wow, dropping some knowledge! lol. I didn't even think of that when I did it. I did end up doing a custom carpet in that car. That project turned out pretty well.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Wow, dropping some knowledge!
XD That cracked me up!

But Hey maybe it'll help someone in the future. I plan on getting my carpet from Merv here. lol. But Maybe one day Ill do a carpet change into a brand new one. Who knows? Lol.

Quick Reply: 93 Formula Interior Swap